Sony RX100 vii (M7) Tricks and tips thread

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,334
Sony RX100 vii (M7) Tricks and tips thread

Just got an m7 and realised that most setup and tip web and youtube advice are remasters from M6 ones. The few where it seems that the author have actually used an M7 are fairly sparse largely due to the camera only just being released.

The M7 has such fast and accurate acquisition and tracking that it seems to allow operation in ways different to the M6.

So I thought a thread for people who have the M7 and have setup or usage tips would be an idea. If anyone has both cameras please chime in with practical differences.

Just Title your reply with your tip.

Hopefully before long we could get a setup /advice post of the quality of some of the M6 ones we have but tailored to the M7.

Canon EOS M6 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,334
Re: Sony RX100 vii (M7) SD Card to avoid / Card to get

I know the M7 uses UHS 1 but is supposed to still work with UHS II cards but just slower.

Well my Lexar 1000x 150MB/sec card which works perfectly well on my RX100m4 and RX10M3 crashes the M7 fairly regularly. Restarting the camera produces a No Card error.

Only if the card is reformatted on a PC will the camera even recognise the card, but it's not long before another crash. Same happened with another identical card. Wondered if it was my camera but...

... I bought a Sandisk extreme Pro 170MB/sec 128GB UHS 1 card and this works just fine.

Pstmstr Regular Member • Posts: 485
Re: Sony RX100 vii (M7) Tricks and tips thread

Some settings suggestions here. https://youtu.be/FrxIhVtWibM

Pstmstr's gear list:Pstmstr's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more

Pstmstr wrote:

Some settings suggestions here. https://youtu.be/FrxIhVtWibM

Thanks these are useful and he has the camera.

He is very much orientated to manual settings.

HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 4,511

are there any printed info on settings?

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Thomas Niemann Veteran Member • Posts: 4,428
Printed instructions

HRC2016 wrote:

A few settings related to common tasks. This is for the RX100 VI but the settings should be on the same tab.

https://epaperpress.com/temp/RX100 Settings.html

Re: Printed instructions

Thomas Niemann wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

A few settings related to common tasks. This is for the RX100 VI but the settings should be on the same tab.

Thank you! I also came across this while I was searching.

https://www.wimarys.com/rx100vii-setup-guide-with-tips-and-tricks/

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
Lens barrel diameter

What is the outside diameter of the lens barrel when its fully extended?

I plan to put some filters over the front to see how that works.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of putting adhesive on the camera. I've got filters of every size  already.

-- hide signature --

Re: Lens barrel diameter

HRC2016 wrote:

What is the outside diameter of the lens barrel when its fully extended?

I plan to put some filters over the front to see how that works.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of putting adhesive on the camera. I've got filters of every size already.

I haven’t got an accurate ruler (on holiday) but I know it is the same as the M6, if that helps.

How to catch flying dragonflies with ease!

Here is a thread in which flying dragonflies are caught by the M7 easily.

With thread OP’s permission.

Dragonflies flying

Re written settings

Thomas Niemann wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

Good settings list. Though for the M6 are a useful starting place for the M7.

I will be posting some alterations which make use of the better AF later today.

Re: Printed instructions

Thomas Niemann wrote:

HRC2016 wrote:

I have verified that the settings for Tab and Page are valid for both the RX100 VI and RX100 VII.

JeremyB2 Regular Member • Posts: 210

My M6 lens barrel diameter is 37.7mm (1.484") measured with a reasonably accurate digital caliper.  J.

JeremyB2's gear list:JeremyB2's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 VI
M7 orientated settings trial

I've used the RX100M7 for 2 days using a simple setup which I found worked for static objects, landscapes, people, running dogs and flying birds.

What I did is ditch AFS, set the the AF mode to AFC and the AF area to Flexible spot M with tracking. I enabled face recognition too.

I set the trackpad R side to register focus point when touched though I found I didn't need that.

I shot in S mode controlling shutter speed with the lens wheel.

I set Drive mode to Low burst. This made single shots easy and gave a good frame rate with autofocus when needed.

I set Iso to Auto iso min 100 iso and max 6400 iso.

I used the EVF and walked around a seaside resort, taking pictures as mentioned above.

All I had to choose was what shutter speed I wanted.

Acquisition of anything under the focus point was instant and the camera immediately started tracking. Pictures were all sharp, correctly focussed. When pointing at people face and eye (when near enough) took over automatically. There was no need to change anything for all of the variety of images apart from shutter speed as required.

This works so well that I will probably remove all non tracking AF options from the AF list. A quick FN button press brings up the AF area in the second position where I can change tracking areas from Centre, Zone, Wide, Flexible spot S,M,L and extendible focus spot with a turn of the rear thumbwheel. In practice I found Flexible spot M worked well for all the situations mentioned.

A YouTube Vlogger Mark Galer mentioned that he had turned of all focus areas that were not tracking on his Sony A6400 and found he never needed to use AFS or non tracking again. So I thought if the RX 100M7 could handle that I would do the same. It works very well indeed.

JeremyB2 wrote:

My M6 lens barrel diameter is 37.7mm (1.484") measured with a reasonably accurate digital caliper. J.

Thank you. I'll let you know how it works out.

I did the hanging filter trick when I first got into digital photography and my only filter was an ND that I bought used!

-- hide signature --

RussellP Senior Member • Posts: 2,324

Check out the Nisi filter system. Its designated for the M6 but as the lens is the same should work fine. No adhesive involved, the system slips over the lens. There are several threads on this already so a search will find them easily.

-- hide signature --
 RussellP's gear list:RussellP's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A SeaLife DC2000 Sony RX100 VI Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J5
Updated using your ideas

Brandon, I really like this approach. I've modified the document to use this technique. See end of second page.

RussellP wrote:

Check out the Nisi filter system. Its designated for the M6 but as the lens is the same should work fine. No adhesive involved, the system slips over the lens. There are several threads on this already so a search will find them easily.

With the Nisi it looks like you have to use their filters. I'm BYOF.

The Magsafe uses adhesive.

-- hide signature --

Re: Updated using your ideas

Thomas Niemann wrote:

Brandon, I really like this approach. I've modified the document to use this technique. See end of second page.

That’s great Thomas. It should work best for most people in A mode as you have recommended. Even more automatic.

I prefer S mode as I often shoot moving objects while on a walkabout and prefer to know my shutter speed.

Thank you for converting my instructions to the actual setting pages. I’ll print this out and keep it as a ready reference in my camera bag.

this is what this thread is about,

HRC2016 wrote:

RussellP wrote:

With the Nisi it looks like you have to use their filters. I'm BYOF.

The Magsafe uses adhesive.

The NiSi is a good system if a bit pricey if you want to use your own filters.

Don't forget to turn off auto shutdown though for the main camera and the EVF.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads