At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Edymagno Veteran Member • Posts: 3,570
Re: Dance performance indoors. nt

nt

Edymagno's gear list:Edymagno's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
gollywop
gollywop Veteran Member • Posts: 8,299
Re: Falconing

Lance B wrote:

gollywop wrote:

Last Christmas my daughter's family gave me a gift certificate to a private extended falconing exhibition at the New England Falconry in Hadley, MA. My daughter and I attended last Spring, and it was simply fantastic.

In short order I took 103 shots with an 80 percent keeper rate. The keeper rate was actually 94%, but I also deleted ones that were simply too similar to others. I took that many shots – not my usual practice – because the models (Harris's hawks) were simply superb, on the perch, on the arm, and in flight.

Like you, my largest set of images at one outing was when I shot a pair of wild falcons on a cliff top. It is very easy to rattle of over 1,000 images when using 9 fps on a D850 with grip and battery. The worst part is the time taken going through them and culling those that were not quite good enough! Here is a 19 shot sequence with the D850 + 400 f2.8E FL VR and didn't miss a beat, bird flying at about 100kmh straight at me:

https://pbase.com/lance_b/19_shot_sequence

Yep. It is quite an impressive sight, and certainly an amazing feeling, when one of those things comes flying right at you.

I always shoot single shot, so never amass images in those numbers. But I can see you can have quite a day's production shooting with multiple fps.

-- hide signature --

gollywop

Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,153
Re: Falconing

gollywop wrote:

Lance B wrote:

gollywop wrote:

Last Christmas my daughter's family gave me a gift certificate to a private extended falconing exhibition at the New England Falconry in Hadley, MA. My daughter and I attended last Spring, and it was simply fantastic.

In short order I took 103 shots with an 80 percent keeper rate. The keeper rate was actually 94%, but I also deleted ones that were simply too similar to others. I took that many shots – not my usual practice – because the models (Harris's hawks) were simply superb, on the perch, on the arm, and in flight.

Like you, my largest set of images at one outing was when I shot a pair of wild falcons on a cliff top. It is very easy to rattle of over 1,000 images when using 9 fps on a D850 with grip and battery. The worst part is the time taken going through them and culling those that were not quite good enough! Here is a 19 shot sequence with the D850 + 400 f2.8E FL VR and didn't miss a beat, bird flying at about 100kmh straight at me:

https://pbase.com/lance_b/19_shot_sequence

Yep. It is quite an impressive sight, and certainly an amazing feeling, when one of those things comes flying right at you.

It certainly is. Such an amazing bird and every time I watch them I am in awe of their beauty, power and majesty.

I always shoot single shot, so never amass images in those numbers. But I can see you can have quite a day's production shooting with multiple fps.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +16 more
fferreres Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Re: At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

Mark_A wrote:

I know some of you are just sprayers and prayers just teasing, but at what events did you shoot the most images.

Just trying to get an idea of what people feel is a lot because I expect we will have different feelings on this topic.

For me at everyday subjects I normally shoot between 30-90 and when reviewing them am happy if I get one proper special keeper.

On the higher side I went to a motor sports event and shot 400. At least 400 is all I have left, perhaps I shot more and deleted a load I can't remember. Anyhow 400 is my top so far.

What about you? where how many and why?

Mark_A

3500 at a performing arts (dance) even. The official photographer decided to not show up and my camera was the only one in the entire theatre. But I hadn’t brought the camera to cover the show, so I found myself with a manual 100-300 f4.5 - 5.6 and absolutely no other camera or lens.

IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,545

Mark_A wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Amateur cycling event 4 years ago, 22,000 images in 6 hours, although 18,000 was over 3 hours of that. Haven’t done that event in a couple of years due to weather, but expecting to do it again on Saturday. Something like 10,000 cyclists.

Hi IR1234, that is serious numbers.

What is your objective? Do you aim to sell a photo of each cyclist to them and if so do you process and put them all online or something, must be a big operation to do something like that.

That’s the objective. I wish we did. It will be a tiny percentage, but it pays the bills. Everything goes online and we publish about 10,000 per hour the moment an event or day finishes.

Yours is an impressive set up, I expect it took you a while to perfect your systems and workflow.

Compared to a photographer like me who shoots tiny amounts at a time and doesn't always even process them the same day it sounds very slick indeed.

Mark_A

Thank you.

It’s the culmination of refining a lot of the workflow over a few years; processing images and then getting them online. The biggest lesson we learned years ago was never to get behind as we work every day for the main company. So if you don't process Monday...well guess what...it’s still waiting for you on Tuesday. And on Wednesday you have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to process. So very quickly you learn to process there and then. Even though we do minimal amounts of post, you still have to get the job done.

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
Mark_A
OP Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 15,066

IR1234 wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Yours is an impressive set up, I expect it took you a while to perfect your systems and workflow.

Compared to a photographer like me who shoots tiny amounts at a time and doesn't always even process them the same day it sounds very slick indeed.

Mark_A

Thank you.

It’s the culmination of refining a lot of the workflow over a few years; processing images and then getting them online. The biggest lesson we learned years ago was never to get behind as we work every day for the main company. So if you don't process Monday...well guess what...it’s still waiting for you on Tuesday. And on Wednesday you have Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to process. So very quickly you learn to process there and then. Even though we do minimal amounts of post, you still have to get the job done.

I can understand processing images on a machine to have print ready images because although on a much much smaller scale I do that. But presumably you have to have all as web sized images and actually upload them to your web server daily also?

Have you found some automation for that step - getting the images from your pc to the web and ecommerce package all labelled up if they need that?

Mark_A

Mark_A

fferreres wrote:

3500 at a performing arts (dance) even. The official photographer decided to not show up and my camera was the only one in the entire theatre. But I hadn’t brought the camera to cover the show, so I found myself with a manual 100-300 f4.5 - 5.6 and absolutely no other camera or lens.

Hi fferreres,

was that lens bright enough for manual focussing - I am assuming it was indoors? and I wonder what your hit rate was using MF .. I can't MF with my D800 very well at all, neither I nor it seem intended to do that

Mark_A

Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173
I shoot...

... a yearly music festival that I help organize. Between the fact that the musicians are so often looking down at their instruments (and not giving me great poses to shoot), are obscured by stuff like music stands and mics and that I really try to be discrete so as not to get in the audiences way means that this thing is pretty difficult to get decent shots with. Because of all of this I end up taking lots and lots of shots to get the best expressions and to get shots of performers that aren't obscured by people or stuff on stage. The show took place this year and I shot more images than I ever have before. I still don't think that I got enough really great shots, but I at least shooting lots improved my odds somewhat... though I really hate culling through that many shots.

There is a pro photog who also shoots the fest and she's very good but is more willing to run around during a performance, which I kind of feel is distracting to the audience. I try to get the best shots that I can while still trying to be as invisible a presence as I can... which adds to the challenge.

-- hide signature --

my flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/128435329@N08/

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
chipmaster
chipmaster Senior Member • Posts: 2,966

When I'd shoot gymnastics it was thousands of shots a day, each routine I'd have to say it was pray and spray.  Did try timing one season when I knew the routines by heart but even in those days 9FPS beat anticipation.

Dance/ballet like say Nutcracker would come home with 300-500 shots, shot in 2-3 frame burst and they'd mostly  be keepers.

Concerts, Portrait shots 3-5 / sitting-pose shot single mode

x-country/track would be 10-20/event, skiiing would be 20-30 all shot in 2-5 Frame burst.

-- hide signature --

" Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories "

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon D5 +21 more

Mark_A wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Mark_A

Thank you.

I can understand processing images on a machine to have print ready images because although on a much much smaller scale I do that. But presumably you have to have all as web sized images and actually upload them to your web server daily also?

Have you found some automation for that step - getting the images from your pc to the web and ecommerce package all labelled up if they need that?

Mark_A

Everything we’ve done was written by us, both myself and my wife have a past life in IT. So everything from pulling from the card to publishing on the website has now been reduced to one operation and 4 questions that the system will prompt you for, and even those 4 questions today are defaulted answers. The 4 questions are essentially parameters, eg are we publishing 10 or 30 minute galleries on the website (zero gallery option will be added next month), multiple cards, whether a delay is required for processing (this is important if you have one card (camera or event) that needs priority over everything else, but still want to load up multiple jobs), and of course date.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
Mark_A

IR1234 wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Mark_A

Everything we’ve done was written by us, both myself and my wife have a past life in IT. So everything from pulling from the card to publishing on the website has now been reduced to one operation and 4 questions that the system will prompt you for, and even those 4 questions today are defaulted answers. The 4 questions are essentially parameters, eg are we publishing 10 or 30 minute galleries on the website (zero gallery option will be added next month), multiple cards, whether a delay is required for processing (this is important if you have one card (camera or event) that needs priority over everything else, but still want to load up multiple jobs), and of course date.

Aha, cool, if you write it yourself you can have the functionality you want. I get that having done something slightly similar with db driven websites some years ago.

I don't know what a 30 minute gallery is though

Mark_A

WMark_A wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Mark_A

Aha, cool, if you write it yourself you can have the functionality you want. I get that having done something slightly similar with db driven websites some years ago.

Mark_A

We divide an event into time segments, usually 30 mins. People then trawl through a few hundred photos to find themselves (which they do). They can then buy or not from there.

Mark_A

IR1234 wrote:

WMark_A wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Mark_A

We divide an event into time segments, usually 30 mins. People then trawl through a few hundred photos to find themselves (which they do). They can then buy or not from there.

Aha, I knew it would be something straight forward good idea.

Mark_A

Mark_A
Re: I shoot...

Aaron801 wrote:

... a yearly music festival that I help organize. Between the fact that the musicians are so often looking down at their instruments (and not giving me great poses to shoot), are obscured by stuff like music stands and mics and that I really try to be discrete so as not to get in the audiences way means that this thing is pretty difficult to get decent shots with. Because of all of this I end up taking lots and lots of shots to get the best expressions and to get shots of performers that aren't obscured by people or stuff on stage. The show took place this year and I shot more images than I ever have before. I still don't think that I got enough really great shots, but I at least shooting lots improved my odds somewhat... though I really hate culling through that many shots.

Hi Aaron801, do you also have a quiet camera?

There is a pro photog who also shoots the fest and she's very good but is more willing to run around during a performance, which I kind of feel is distracting to the audience. I try to get the best shots that I can while still trying to be as invisible a presence as I can... which adds to the challenge.

Mark_A

Mark_A wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:

I used an Olympus Pen F this year and before that a Oly EM10. I'm pretty sure that my new Pen F has some options for silent electronic shutter, but honestly I never felt that I needed it because both of my Oly cameras have pretty quiet mechanical shutters. There's some sound but maybe not much or at all if your ear isn't right near the camera (when you aren't the photographer). A quiet camera is important too because the festival I shoot is jazz and though some groups can be pretty raucous, there are always parts that are very introspective and the volume is minimal... so any extraneous noise is noticed.

This is one big reason that I like mirrorless gear. There's a pro photogaher who also shoots the fest every year (I'm strictly amateur and my main contribution to the festival is as a board member and graphic designer; I design all of the material for print and web). This pro photog does manage to get some very fine images, but she uses a full frame DSLR type camera (Nikon, I think). She shoots many more frames than I do and her camera is quite noisy... it's pretty distracting when the on stage volume drops...

Mark_A

-- hide signature --

my flickr:

Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 8,505

Aaron801 wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:

I used an Olympus Pen F this year and before that a Oly EM10. I'm pretty sure that my new Pen F has some options for silent electronic shutter, but honestly I never felt that I needed it because both of my Oly cameras have pretty quiet mechanical shutters. There's some sound but maybe not much or at all if your ear isn't right near the camera (when you aren't the photographer). A quiet camera is important too because the festival I shoot is jazz and though some groups can be pretty raucous, there are always parts that are very introspective and the volume is minimal... so any extraneous noise is noticed.

This is one big reason that I like mirrorless gear. There's a pro photogaher who also shoots the fest every year (I'm strictly amateur and my main contribution to the festival is as a board member and graphic designer; I design all of the material for print and web). This pro photog does manage to get some very fine images, but she uses a full frame DSLR type camera (Nikon, I think). She shoots many more frames than I do and her camera is quite noisy... it's pretty distracting when the on stage volume drops.

The Pen F is an amazing little sexy camera, perfectly capable for photographing concerts. My wife is using it when shooting concerts, I'm using an E-M1 mkll, both set to silent shutter.

ML cameras give now a perfect solution for concert photography and I think that using a noisy distracting dSLR for a concert,  is a rude thing to do and such a photog should not be allowed into the concert venue, no matter how good his/her photos may be.

moti

-- hide signature --

Moti wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Aaron801 wrote:

This is one big reason that I like mirrorless gear. There's a pro photogaher who also shoots the fest every year (I'm strictly amateur and my main contribution to the festival is as a board member and graphic designer; I design all of the material for print and web). This pro photog does manage to get some very fine images, but she uses a full frame DSLR type camera (Nikon, I think). She shoots many more frames than I do and her camera is quite noisy... it's pretty distracting when the on stage volume drops.

The Pen F is an amazing little sexy camera, perfectly capable for photographing concerts. My wife is using it when shooting concerts, I'm using an E-M1 mkll, both set to silent shutter.

ML cameras give now a perfect solution for concert photography and I think that using a noisy distracting dSLR for a concert, is a rude thing to do and such a photog should not be allowed into the concert venue, no matter how good his/her photos may be.

That's a totally valid perspective... As a working pro and someone who does lots of studio type portrait stuff with lights and all of that, the photographer in question is likely pretty used to the stereotypical gear for that and I could understand that she might not want to buy and then get accustomed to a whole other style system. I do see that at least the bigger FF format that she uses gives her a bit cleaner shots for the sort of low light photography that the whole indoor, stage lit situation that we're dealing with. She does however have to deal with a really cumbersome big zoom that she uses (probably something that's 2.8 and fast for FF) that she needs to use a monopod for. I can be far less obtrusive with my little camera, particularly because it has such good IBIS and no monopod is necessary for me. I also shoot pretty much only with primes and though it means that my framing might not be as precise, I don't mind cropping in a bit when I process the work.

Though I can see that the other photographer with her larger format gear does get somewhat clearer images, it seems that between the fact that my new Pen F does slightly better in low light than my old EM10 (and much, much better than my first m43 camera, a GH2) and the fact that the lighting design for the stage has involved more even and overall brighter light it seems that the gap between the noise/detail of her photos and mine is getting much smaller. It's funny because in discussions with this other photographer she always seems to be complaining about the quality of the light. The fact that it's a bit more even and less chiaroscuro somehow means that it's harder for to get the kind of edge lit, jazz age type photos (like on Blue Note LPs) that she tends to go for. Since I don't have that kind of specific shot in mind and am willing to work with whatever light is happening (as long as it isn't too dim) and the fact that light is brighter so that I can shoot at lower ISOs means that I'm pretty happy about it.

-- hide signature --

my flickr:

Mark_A
Was at a presentation by a pro wildlife photog ..

Was at a presentation by a pro wildlife photog .. rapher last week who said they shoot many thousands of pictures on location, frequently coming home with 10-20,000 images. They load them into Lightroom and select a few best from each scene then they just delete the rest.

Mark_A

Mark_A
Another professional says ..

Mark_A wrote:

Was at a presentation by a pro wildlife photog .. rapher last week who said they shoot many thousands of pictures on location, frequently coming home with 10-20,000 images. They load them into Lightroom and select a few best from each scene then they just delete the rest.

Last week talking to another professional who shoots hundreds or thousands of images and then selects perhaps 12 for delivery for the job and then just deletes the rest.

I am sure there were some amateur photographers in the thread saying they never delete anything. Do you suppose if the purpose of the shooting is to deliver just a small packet of images you could bring yourself to delete the rest?

Mark_A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads