At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
davesurrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,316
Re: At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

Mark_A wrote:

davesurrey wrote:

Simple...it's always at airshows when i shoot multi-burst. But the keep ratio is naturally low.

Hi Dave, from your location I assume the Farnborough Air Show and perhaps Duxford? I used to live in Frimley

Mark_A

Hi Mark,

I had a house next door in Camberley and then Woking but now live in Sunny Berkshire.

Farnborough isn't worth going to now IMO. Yes, Duxford is great but my favorites are Fairford (RIAT) and Shutleworth...two very different events.

I aim to go to as many as I can before political correctness and Health and Safety kill them all off.

Dave

davesurrey's gear list:davesurrey's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000 +18 more
BrentSchumer
BrentSchumer Senior Member • Posts: 1,286

I would have to check at home, but two events that required a lot of burst shooting were:

• Sumo tournament in Tokyo
  • WKC show in Manhattan

Contrary to popular belief, Sumo wrestlers have lightning quick movements (like face slaps) that are faster than I could easily notice from up in the stands. I might have taken 1,000 images that night, trying to find a good combination of composition, action, and lighting (from ring-side camera flashes). I was also using an 18-135mm from high up in the stands, so it was tougher to fish out optimal photos from the lighting.

Another night with a lot of images was the WKC annual show in Madison Square Garden. Again the action was way too far away for the lens I brought* and I took dozens of pictures per dog trying to coax something interesting out of the proceedings. At that range AF was trial-and-error, and the indoor lighting hindered my shutter speed.

I'd have to go through my photo folders to get exact photo counts from each event.

*Luckily, my insufficient A6000 + 18-135mm OSS was svelte enough to avoid the security gate confiscations, where screeners took cameras away that were large enough to be a weapon or hazard. There were dozens of cameras in the confiscation station held by security staff (I looked in), ranging from M43 to 5DRs and D850s with god lenses. But my A6000 and travel lens looked too small and touristy to be an issue!

P.S. Sony please release an inexpensive 300mm APSC lens on E mount. You did it for A mount and can do it again!

BrentSchumer's gear list:BrentSchumer's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Krav Maga
Krav Maga Senior Member • Posts: 2,999

I tend to shoot a lot.

This last spring I did a Duane Ludwig Muay Thai seminar that had about 100 participants. I broke it up in to three sections; 1. Before the seminar began just wandering the crowd and taking photos of people meeting and greeting. 2. Action shots during the seminar itself. 3. Group photo at the end.

My goal was to get a few shots of each participant during the "action shot" step. When it was all done I ended up with about 1200 exposures over about 4 hours. I culled through, keeping only what I felt was the very best and ended up with about 800 shots.

Yesterday afternoon I did a model shoot; two wardrobe changes, a couple different locations (within one large location) and shot 221 exposures which can be typical. A lot of the shots were done towards the end when after I'd gotten that shots that are wanted or needed, I hit the model with a kind of surprise "unplanned" thing; a prop of some kind or something. Yesterday it was having her free-flow dance in a field of grass to her favorite music and snapping for a few minutes. Because of the movement several non-keepers, but a few keepers. For the whole shoot there's about 100 or so keepers; shots that we (both the model and I) absolutely love.

-- hide signature --

I feel more like I do now than I did before ...
https://www.danielmedley.com

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
Mark_A
OP Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 15,056

davesurrey wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

Hi Dave, from your location I assume the Farnborough Air Show and perhaps Duxford? I used to live in Frimley

Mark_A

Hi Mark,

I had a house next door in Camberley and then Woking but now live in Sunny Berkshire.

Farnborough isn't worth going to now IMO. Yes, Duxford is great but my favorites are Fairford (RIAT) and Shutleworth...two very different events.

I aim to go to as many as I can before political correctness and Health and Safety kill them all off.

Dave I had a great time at Goodwood one year, I think it was the 50s revival meeting. Spitfires etc performing stunts at very low levels, quite exciting if a little dangerous.

Mark_A

Mark_A

Martin.au wrote:

Probably Roller Derby.

I don't know what that is

Mark_A

Mark_A

tony field wrote:

The only time I shoot a large number of photographs per hour is for figure skating where I have to use motor drive for the jumps. For a day's shooting this might usually results in more than 1,500 shots. For other events such as show jumping, speed skating, motorcycle races Etc, I shoot single frame only this usually results in fewer than 500 shots per day.

Hi Tony,

I can imagine jumps could be hard to capture without burst.

I just started using burst for motorbikes, but my D800 has quite a slow burst rate, I could pretty much see it acquiring focus between shots. Worked a treat though.

Mark_A

Mark_A
Re: 3k+ at sports events

AussiePhil wrote:

Nothing unusual to come back with 3k+ images from even a partial day at a race track or tennis event.

Highest number was close to 10k one day at the Aus Open tennis a few years back now. That day spanned over 12hrs of shooting

Phil do you mind me asking how large and what type your memory cards are?

apart from the end of day cull 18fps is addictive and even very short bursts add up over 3 to 8 hours

I can normally cull a few thousand in an evening if needed.

Mark_A

Mark_A

fferreres wrote:

I was kind of asking myself a similar related question. Should I shoot more, or less? I was having this feeling that if I shoot too little, I miss lots of opportunities and never am ready at the best times; like becoming shy. If I shoot too much, then I have so many pictures. So the interview with a fashion desirner here in DPR a few months ago stated the obvious: delete like a maniac! I realized I wasn't. And then, after months a light popped up in my head: I am trying to please others, cover some memories for others, and also try to get some shots that are more than the moment; special and an select. So the solution wasn't easy to think but obvious afterwards:

1) SHOOT A LOT

2) Don't be shy of AF-C

3) Don't worry if it's bad

4) Do relentless hyper fast culling, maybe go about the images and only keep the best that might relate to something

5) Select all the snapshots (all those that I wouldn't keep except for ...OTHERS or that others may value

6) Export all to jpg without much post processing, only what they want: resize 1/4, sharpen 200 0.5, vibrnce 5%, etc. No cropping, no nothing else. Only NR when necesary. Something that takes 15 minutes at most.

7) batch export all those to a jpg folder and share it

8) Go back and delete all these RAWS forever

9) Start the KEEPER process

a) If in doubt, delete

b) If blurry even if useful resized but still blurry, delete

c) if similar to another, decide which one, and the other DELETE

d) if nice but unclean (someone crossed behind and is distracting a bit DELETE.

e) If it's awesome but something stands out as itching my back, DELETE

f) If it has nothing special, just looks good, DELETE

g) f the color looks dull, DELETE

h) If there are distracting cables, etc. and are not part of the feature, DELETE

i) If for whatever reason, a series of photos seems to want to stay...ie. many in a series that are small variants make it hard to delete any, keep all for now and move on. Come back later.

j) If it was a quite a good shot but very compromised, like an Aquarium and dirty glass, DELETE

k) Find any additional reason to DELETE and see what else you can DELETE.

l) Count. If not a paid work, and you still have 50 pictures, continue to DELETE. Which one is less interesting? DELETE IT.

J) Also, even if it's the only photo of something, a landmark, a person, and it's the best. If it's not great DELETE. DELEEEETE (this part is hard).

10) Then move all those to a keepers folders. Don't worry if you can process them right now. You are done for the day.

I say this in second partson ("you") but of course this is how I write it. I found out that the more DELETE thinking WHY I need to delete it, I learn something. I learn NOTHING from not deleting. Finding a reason to keep a photo is very easy. Since I had created lower res jpg verions of all snapshots or pics that may interest someone else, what's left is only what I want and to be keep for no other reason.

Back to the topic: this way, I can shoot happily. I found I needed very fast culling. I use FatRawViewer. I learned all the keyboard shortcuts. After I am done with all the a to j deleting, I will still do some additional deleting in RawTherapy.

So at first, aim for quanity, and in culling aim for cuality. If you are thinking more than 10 seconds if a photo should be keeper, move to the next or, ideally, just delete it. DELETE. Try to think and state in loud voice, "I am deleting it because ..."

The more I shoot and the more I delete, the faster I learn about why I delete, and the more I DELETE MENTALY NEXT TIME before shooting. So as you go about this ...

It doesn't matter how many photos you take. I think it's the wrong metric to focus on. I think it's most important to accept most photos should be shared, separate from your own process, and for you, most important, is to be very picky...very few pictures should remain after culling. Maybe 9 out of 10 should be deleted. and the idea is to increase the quality threshold, and see if you can increase the number of keepers.

Basically: shot with confidence. The times I did this I got the best of it. On a performing arts show, the photographer failed to show up and someone picked me from the audience and asked me to cover it and begged me. I did about 3500 shots. And in a birthday party I may shoot 200 to 300. But in reality, I think I could do 500 to 100, share 40, and keep 10 to 4.

Hi fferreres,

thanks for your patience typing out that monster post.

I am thinking I could shoot more in future now, need to get some larger memory cards though.

My keeper rate varies, if I am just in my local forest and I snap some images I am happy if there is one that I consider a keeper.

When in a target rich environment like motor sports I tend to get many more keepers but they are often mainly of interest to me because my usual online sharing places are less interesting in bikes / cars whatever.

Mark_A

Mark_A
Re: Rodeo

gary0319 wrote:

Bronc Riding, Bull dogging, Calf Roping, Team Roping, Bull Riding.

Over a 2 hour Rodeo, I’ll shoot 2500 images at 15 frames per second to get the exact moment that the rider’s hat hits the dirt (below).

Great shot Gary, you certainly got the moment in that one!

What camera do you have that will do 15 fps? Scratch that question, I can see your gear list.

Mark_A

Mark_A

DeathArrow wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

What about you? where how many and why?

Mark_A

I shoot like a madman at sporting events and at airshows. At the last airshow I shot 2500 images in 6 hours. That's because half of time I was taking cover from the sun, eating and drinking beer. And I didn't have more cards with me.

At the moment I only have a 16gb card, I can see I am going to have to get a bigger card!

I also shoot much when I am shooting photojournalistic type of events or other events.

Mark_A

Mark_A
Re: 1st trip to Europe with a digital camera

Smaug01 wrote:

I went nuts.

A friend's wedding was also right up there.

I realize I got carried away when I had to edit them; it took days and days to filter through, edit, cleanse...

Yes, it takes me some time to process images and I don't think I am doing it optimally at the moment.

There are some people on this thread that seem to have decent systems though so there is hope.

Mark_A

Mark_A
Re: first trip with a digital camera

jrtrent wrote:

I got my first digital camera in July of 2003, a Leica Digilux 1, and soon went to visit a friend in Boise for a few days. In that four-day trip, I took 173 pictures. I've never before or since taken that many shots in so short a period of time. Went a little crazy with the shutter release, I guess, knowing that I didn't need to keep buying more film and processing mailers to continue taking pictures. Lowest percentage of keepers, too, with only about half of them worth hanging on to.

Hi jrtrent,

A 50% keeper rate is much higher than I achieve.

Mark_A

Mark_A

BrentSchumer wrote:

I would have to check at home, but two events that required a lot of burst shooting were:

• Sumo tournament in Tokyo
  • WKC show in Manhattan

Contrary to popular belief, Sumo wrestlers have lightning quick movements (like face slaps) that are faster than I could easily notice from up in the stands. I might have taken 1,000 images that night, trying to find a good combination of composition, action, and lighting (from ring-side camera flashes). I was also using an 18-135mm from high up in the stands, so it was tougher to fish out optimal photos from the lighting.

Another night with a lot of images was the WKC annual show in Madison Square Garden. Again the action was way too far away for the lens I brought* and I took dozens of pictures per dog trying to coax something interesting out of the proceedings. At that range AF was trial-and-error, and the indoor lighting hindered my shutter speed.

I'd have to go through my photo folders to get exact photo counts from each event.

*Luckily, my insufficient A6000 + 18-135mm OSS was svelte enough to avoid the security gate confiscations, where screeners took cameras away that were large enough to be a weapon or hazard. There were dozens of cameras in the confiscation station held by security staff (I looked in), ranging from M43 to 5DRs and D850s with god lenses. But my A6000 and travel lens looked too small and touristy to be an issue!

P.S. Sony please release an inexpensive 300mm APSC lens on E mount. You did it for A mount and can do it again!

Hi Brent,

Interesting that they were confiscating cameras, and that yours got through.

It is a nice shot your Sumo one, so your gear did a good job there I would say but it must have been difficult being so far away.

I envy the pro photographers at motorsports events because they get to be inside the fencing which is always a limiting factor for me, being outside it.

Mark_A

davesurrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

Goodwood Revival (cars and planes) 13 to 15 Sept this year. Will aim to be there.

Cheers

Dave

davesurrey's gear list:davesurrey's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000 +18 more
Mark_A

Krav Maga wrote:

I tend to shoot a lot.

This last spring I did a Duane Ludwig Muay Thai seminar that had about 100 participants. I broke it up in to three sections; 1. Before the seminar began just wandering the crowd and taking photos of people meeting and greeting. 2. Action shots during the seminar itself. 3. Group photo at the end.

My goal was to get a few shots of each participant during the "action shot" step. When it was all done I ended up with about 1200 exposures over about 4 hours. I culled through, keeping only what I felt was the very best and ended up with about 800 shots.

Yesterday afternoon I did a model shoot; two wardrobe changes, a couple different locations (within one large location) and shot 221 exposures which can be typical. A lot of the shots were done towards the end when after I'd gotten that shots that are wanted or needed, I hit the model with a kind of surprise "unplanned" thing; a prop of some kind or something. Yesterday it was having her free-flow dance in a field of grass to her favorite music and snapping for a few minutes. Because of the movement several non-keepers, but a few keepers. For the whole shoot there's about 100 or so keepers; shots that we (both the model and I) absolutely love.

I am envious of you shooting proper models, I only shoot amateurs who often don't really want to have their photos taken which means I generally don't force myself on them.

When I have shot willing models for example at camera club evenings the questions are different, for example how to pose for best effect, how to change the lights etc .. but the experience is more interesting having willing models.

Mark_A

Mark_A

davesurrey wrote:

Goodwood Revival (cars and planes) 13 to 15 Sept this year. Will aim to be there.

Cheers

Aha, didn't realise it was so soon. Unfortunately I now live almost in Wales so won't make it this time.

Hope you have a good time

Mark_A

StarPortraits Regular Member • Posts: 248

Mark_A wrote:

I know some of you are just sprayers and prayers just teasing, but at what events did you shoot the most images.

Just trying to get an idea of what people feel is a lot because I expect we will have different feelings on this topic.

For me at everyday subjects I normally shoot between 30-90 and when reviewing them am happy if I get one proper special keeper.

On the higher side I went to a motor sports event and shot 400. At least 400 is all I have left, perhaps I shot more and deleted a load I can't remember. Anyhow 400 is my top so far.

What about you? where how many and why?

Mark_A

I have shot 400 pictures in my last portrait shoot. Other times I have shot 200. For me it like the more pictures you got the more you can choose from. But then again, its more work.

gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,589

Mark_A wrote:

gary0319 wrote:

Bronc Riding, Bull dogging, Calf Roping, Team Roping, Bull Riding.

Over a 2 hour Rodeo, I’ll shoot 2500 images at 15 frames per second to get the exact moment that the rider’s hat hits the dirt (below).

Great shot Gary, you certainly got the moment in that one!

What camera do you have that will do 15 fps? Scratch that question, I can see your gear list.

Mark_A

Thanks Mark,

Yes, Olympus E-M1 II will do 18 FPS Continuous AF with refocus between each shot, but I back off a bit to 15FPS. The lens on this shoot was the PanLeica 100-400.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +8 more
Mark_A

StarPortraits wrote:

I have shot 400 pictures in my last portrait shoot. Other times I have shot 200. For me it like the more pictures you got the more you can choose from. But then again, its more work.

I have tended to shoot much less when doing portraits but on occasion I get back to my computer and the shot I thought was a winner on the small lcd on the back of the camera, when I see it full screen there is a fault with it.

In fact, many images look truly great in small on the LCD screen, but don't survive blowing up to large. We have some photo albums made years ago with limited gear. The photos are all tiny but in that size they all look good.

A big computer screen shows all the flaws.

Mark_A

Mark_A

gary0319 wrote:

Thanks Mark,

Yes, Olympus E-M1 II will do 18 FPS Continuous AF with refocus between each shot, but I back off a bit to 15FPS. The lens on this shoot was the PanLeica 100-400.

I went to a presentation on the latest Olympus, it is an impressive piece of kit.

Particularly I thought the starting saving images from the first focusing was a neat trick.

Mark_A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads