At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 15,116
At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

I know some of you are just sprayers and prayers just teasing, but at what events did you shoot the most images.

Just trying to get an idea of what people feel is a lot because I expect we will have different feelings on this topic.

For me at everyday subjects I normally shoot between 30-90 and when reviewing them am happy if I get one proper special keeper.

On the higher side I went to a motor sports event and shot 400. At least 400 is all I have left, perhaps I shot more and deleted a load I can't remember. Anyhow 400 is my top so far.

What about you? where how many and why?

Mark_A

Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 5,712
Re: At what events / occasions did you shoot the most images?

I typically shoot 40 to 60 or so frames indoors in available light at special events at church, using silent shutter so as to not pose a distraction.

Capturing a well-lit moment of a particularly gifted guest speaker is something I like to accomplish with my camera, when I can.

Typically, two or three real keepers are what I send out to church family after the event.

Sometimes the photos are detail-edited from RAW, on the computer, sometimes quickly edited from JPG on the smartphone,  as were these....

Pastor Dean Johnson, preaching.

Taylor, leading  Worship

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III +3 more
richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,900

I think my first roller derby is my highest. I had no clue what the rules were and the spills are plentiful. I think I shot around 2100 that evening (~2 hours), with zero continuous shooting. I did a festival a number of years ago where I shot even more -3500ish, but it was covering two days and an evening concert.

I used to shoot concerts and regularly shot in excess of 1000 shots per show. I aimed for a hit rate of 10% for my clients, and 2-3 really great shots for my own personal challenge.

I’ve moved away from volume shooting in my spare time now.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +16 more
Mark_A
OP Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 15,116

Chaplain Mark wrote:

I typically shoot 40 to 60 or so frames indoors in available light at special events at church, using silent shutter so as to not pose a distraction.

Capturing a well-lit moment of a particularly gifted guest speaker is something I like to accomplish with my camera, when I can.

Typically, two or three real keepers are what I send out to church family after the event.

Sometimes the photos are detail-edited from RAW, on the computer, sometimes quickly edited from JPG on the smartphone, as were these....

Hi Chaplain Mark,

It sounds like you shoot in about similar volumes to me (at least normally).

When I last shot in a church it was a friend's wedding -  I probably only shot 20 images inside, then a couple of hundred outside.

Mark_A

Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 5,712

Mark_A wrote:

Chaplain Mark wrote:

Sometimes the photos are detail-edited from RAW, on the computer, sometimes quickly edited from JPG on the smartphone, as were these....

Hi Chaplain Mark,

It sounds like you shoot in about similar volumes to me (at least normally).

When I last shot in a church it was a friend's wedding - I probably only shot 20 images inside, then a couple of hundred outside.

Mark_A

👍👍

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III +3 more
Mark_A

richiebee wrote:

I think my first roller derby is my highest. I had no clue what the rules were and the spills are plentiful. I think I shot around 2100 that evening (~2 hours), with zero continuous shooting. I did a festival a number of years ago where I shot even more -3500ish, but it was covering two days and an evening concert.

Hi richiebee, i would have thought your numbers would be on the higher levels

How do you cope with PP for so many images? Or do you shoot jpeg? And presumably you have massive memory cards and hard disks?

I used to shoot concerts and regularly shot in excess of 1000 shots per show. I aimed for a hit rate of 10% for my clients, and 2-3 really great shots for my own personal challenge.

So you are a pro shooter? I think a 10% hit rate is pretty good.

Mark_A

richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,900

Mark_A wrote:

richiebee wrote:

I’ve always resisted spray and pray...  the thought of going through so many images makes me tired.

How do you cope with PP for so many images? Or do you shoot jpeg? And presumably you have massive memory cards and hard disks?

I shoot raw, edit inLightroom, and move to Photoshop only when necessary. I start with a first pass cull, sometimes with a bit of pp to see if a shot is worth pursuing. Then edit first of a batch, sync the settings with others in the same batch, do a second pass cull, and tweak those to taste individually. Take them into Photoshop where required, then back to Lightroom to finish off, make them all look like a set and export. I consider a batch to be where the lighting doesn’t really change, where they’re shot from the same location and same people (more or less) in all shots.

10% was a personally set target that my clients got used to. Concerts was a hobby that I got paid for, by venues and theatre production companies. I really enjoyed the shows, but I did get tired of the volume of editing. Now I work full time as a photographer, I really don’t want my spare time taken up with client work. I keep it separate and shoot what I want to shoot and edit, in low volume, in my spare time.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +16 more
Mark_A

richiebee wrote:

Mark_A wrote:

richiebee wrote:

I’ve always resisted spray and pray... the thought of going through so many images makes me tired.

Me too, it isn't that I lose interest but it just takes so long. I guess I haven't got the right workflow for lots of images and often when I process I am doing it for the web.

I have to get used to processing for print and then downsizing if I want an image for the web.

I shoot raw, edit inLightroom, and move to Photoshop only when necessary. I start with a first pass cull, sometimes with a bit of pp to see if a shot is worth pursuing. Then edit first of a batch, sync the settings with others in the same batch, do a second pass cull, and tweak those to taste individually. Take them into Photoshop where required, then back to Lightroom to finish off, make them all look like a set and export. I consider a batch to be where the lighting doesn’t really change, where they’re shot from the same location and same people (more or less) in all shots.

It sounds as if you are quite expert with Lightroom and I understand what you mean about sets of images.

10% was a personally set target that my clients got used to. Concerts was a hobby that I got paid for, by venues and theatre production companies. I really enjoyed the shows, but I did get tired of the volume of editing. Now I work full time as a photographer, I really don’t want my spare time taken up with client work. I keep it separate and shoot what I want to shoot and edit, in low volume, in my spare time.

Great that you have managed to keep it as a hobby also, I think many people don't manage to do that.

Mark_A

TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,439
Sports Events . . .

Mark_A wrote:

I know some of you are just sprayers and prayers just teasing, but at what events did you shoot the most images.

Just trying to get an idea of what people feel is a lot because I expect we will have different feelings on this topic.

For me at everyday subjects I normally shoot between 30-90 and when reviewing them am happy if I get one proper special keeper.

On the higher side I went to a motor sports event and shot 400. At least 400 is all I have left, perhaps I shot more and deleted a load I can't remember. Anyhow 400 is my top so far.

Mark_A

I volunteered at our local gymnastics competition.

We tried to get pictures of as many of the club's athletes as possible to include in the yearbook or year-end video.

The thing with a competition is, it doesn't happen again. Sure, there is next year's competition, but . . . each competition (and thus each athletes performance) only happens once. And you don't know if the athlete's first jump is going to be their best jump or whether its the last jump. So . . . I just shot all their jumps and poses.

150 athletes * 3 apparatus (I didn't really shoot the vault) * at least 10 shots per apparatus = 4,500 shots in a weekend.

EDIT: That's actually the keepers. Triple that for number of shots taken. For poses, I would fire off 3 shots because with a moving athlete, you can't be quite sure how they are going to shift their balance on their feet. And I find . . . if I fire off 3 shots, I get 3 completely different poses. Because this is happening in a fraction of a second, anticipating the athletes shift in balance is almost impossible. Better to fire off 3 shots and keep the best.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
davesurrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,316

Simple...it's always at airshows when i shoot multi-burst. But the keep ratio is naturally low.

davesurrey's gear list:davesurrey's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000 +18 more
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,895
Graduations; stills and video. (nt)
-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber ("Animal House")

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,816
Macro/Close-up

Mark_A wrote:

Mark_A

It's easy to take 300 to 400 shots in an hour or so. It can take a dozen or more just to get the precise framing and focus point. If there is even the slightest hint of a breeze, your hit rate goes down.

threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,623

Some international sports days are very long, and it is common to rack up over 5000.

Mind you, I actually like taking these photos and know what I am looking for. Someone who doesn't like it and doesn't have a clue about the sport might only take 500. Who knows. I don't ask anybody else how many photos they take, I only care about what I am doing. If you criticised the photos I took, I would probably ignore you.

I delete obviously OOF shots at the venue in the odd moments but rarely have to at home. I process the few I want other people to see, and about the same number mainly for me.

I use PhotoMechanic to see my thumbnails because it's the fastest game in town.

It would be cute to claim I'm so faultless with WB and so in demand that I only have time to use jpeg, but the fact is that sometimes I enjoy going back to PP my images, so I use raw+jpeg. Yikes!

donaldsc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,568

Hummingbirds.  One time I shot several thousand pictures over a few hours and kept maybe 10.  My shoot rate for other BIF photos is lower and my keep rate is higher but not much different.

-- hide signature --

Don

Mark_A
Re: Sports Events . . .

TacticDesigns wrote:

We tried to get pictures of as many of the club's athletes as possible to include in the yearbook or year-end video.

The thing with a competition is, it doesn't happen again. Sure, there is next year's competition, but . . . each competition (and thus each athletes performance) only happens once. And you don't know if the athlete's first jump is going to be their best jump or whether its the last jump. So . . . I just shot all their jumps and poses.

150 athletes * 3 apparatus (I didn't really shoot the vault) * at least 10 shots per apparatus = 4,500 shots in a weekend.

That is a lot of images, what is your workflow in post?

EDIT: That's actually the keepers. Triple that for number of shots taken. For poses, I would fire off 3 shots because with a moving athlete, you can't be quite sure how they are going to shift their balance on their feet. And I find . . . if I fire off 3 shots, I get 3 completely different poses. Because this is happening in a fraction of a second, anticipating the athletes shift in balance is almost impossible. Better to fire off 3 shots and keep the best.

Take care & Happy Shooting

Mark_A

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,118

5000+ per day at motorsports events. This is basically shooting continuously from 8 AM to 5 PM.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,562

Probably Roller Derby.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,439
Re: Sports Events . . .

Mark_A wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

That is a lot of images, what is your workflow in post?

It is actually pretty quick.

I shoot JPG in order to get more shots in the buffer, so I aim to have as close to SOOC images as possible. Not completely possible because I am shooting manual exposure and the flicker of the lights is picked up by the high shutter speed. And the uneven spread of lights on the apparatus / floor means there is going to be slight variation throughout a routine.

While I am waiting for the next athlete(s) to compete, I preview the images on the back of my camera and "write-protect" the "keepers". That way my "keepers" are already selected before I get home.

At the end of the day, I back-up all the images, but only load the "keepers" (write-protected images) into Lightroom.

While importing into Lightroom I have Lightroom rename the file so the date+time is put at the beginning of the filename. That way, down the line, if I need to know which competition a photo was taken at, I just need to look at the date. And if shooting with two or more cameras, it puts all the images from all the cameras in chronological order.

Once in Lightroom, I might also use Lightroom to add the name of the event to the end of the filename. And additionally, if applicable, the team name.

In Lightroom, I mark the ones I think we'll use in either the yearbook or year-end video as a "4" and quickly edit them for colour balance and overall brightness.

Lately I've been cleaning up a bunch of shots a day or two after the event for my wife to upload to the club's Facebook page.

It took me a few years to realize the "write-protect" thing . . . and also realizing how powerful and useful the Lightroom file rename function was to keeping things organized.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

Take care & Happy Shooting

Mark_A

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Mark_A

BillyBobSenna wrote:

5000+ per day at motorsports events. This is basically shooting continuously from 8 AM to 5

That is a lot of images bill, are you professional and how do you manage your post processing ?

Mark_A

tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 10,365

The only time I shoot a large number of photographs per hour is for figure skating where I have to use motor drive for the jumps. For a day's shooting this might usually results in more than 1,500 shots. For other events such as show jumping, speed skating, motorcycle races Etc, I shoot single frame only this usually results in fewer than 500 shots per day.

-- hide signature --

Charles Darwin: "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads