DFA 150-450 with achromat close up lenses compared with 2 macro lenses

Started 2 months ago | Photos
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,786
DFA 150-450 with achromat close up lenses compared with 2 macro lenses

Dear all,

a couple of month ago I tried to make my DFA 150-450 mm lens a macro lens by means of close up lenses. But I did not use simple close up lenses but achromat lenses which offer a much better image quality.

First tests were not so promissing - but after a discussion at another thread of this forum I gave the system a try, again - and I am satisfied, now.

I did the test at real field conditions I usually shoot my photos at. I prefer shorter exposure times (1/640-1/1000 sec) as most of the times I shoot free hand living organisms (insects) that move around at at least a little windy conditions. I prefer to use my Metz AF1 64 as fill in light.

I did post-processsing with ON1 and used the same profile for all of the photos. Only minor corrections were made - no special development from the ON1 toolbox.

Below you will find in this order:

- 3 photos taken with DFA 150-450 and Canon 500 achromat (77mm) in front of it.

- 2 photos taken with Heliopan achromat 250/4

- 3 photos taken with A* 200 mm f4 Pentax macro lens

- 3 photos taken with Sigma 70 mm macro lens.

Canon 500 achromat on DFA 150-450 mm at 450 mm with flash

Canon 500 achromat on DFA 150-450 mm at 450 mm without flash

Canon 500 achromat on DFA 150-450 mm at 150 mm

Heliopan Achromat 250/4 on DFA 150-450 mm at 330 mm

Heliopan Achromat 250/4 on DFA 150-450 mm at 150 mm

SMC A* 200 mm with flash

SMC A* 200 mm without flash

Sigma 70 mm macro lens 1

Sigma 70 mm macro lens 2

Sigma 70 mm macro lens 3

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +6 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,919
Re: DFA 150-450 with achromat close up lenses compared with 2 macro lenses

Holger, interesting experiment. I've thought about getting a close-up lens for my DFA 150-450. But the K-1 sensor has so much room for cropping that I wonder if it is worthwhile.

How do the Canon and the Heliopan compare in magnification?

Thanks,

Joe

OP Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,786

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Holger, interesting experiment. I've thought about getting a close-up lens for my DFA 150-450. But the K-1 sensor has so much room for cropping that I wonder if it is worthwhile.

How do the Canon and the Heliopan compare in magnification?

Dear Joseph,

MightyMike gave us a list with achromat solutions for photography:

http://fuzzcraft.com/achromats.html

I used these two achromats:

Heliopan [2] Achromat close-up with 4 Diopter and 250 mm distance from object for sharp photo if lens is set to infinity. My Heliopan achromat has a diameter of 82 mm which ist one step below the opening of the DFA 150-450 mm lens.

My Canon 500D achromat has a diameter of 77 mm and a distance for sharpness of 500 mm and 2 diopter.

Even though the 77 mm is two steps below the 86 mm diameter of the lens I do not see any shading at the corners.

All photos were not cropped.

Best regards

Holger

Thanks,

Joe

Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +6 more

Somehwo the photo with lower magnification taken with SMC A* 200 mm macro lens got lost in the original posting. You will find it here instead:

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,489

If you already have the amazing A*200mm F4.0 I can't see why you're searching for another solution, maybe only the FA*200mm F4.0 would top the A* for overall quality... however if you're searching for a longer working distance at high magnification then clearly achromats and telephoto lenses are a good option.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,893

I like the pictures from SMC Pentax-A*200 most. Well, it is one of the best Pentax lenses ever made.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

MightyMike wrote:

If you already have the amazing A*200mm F4.0 I can't see why you're searching for another solution, maybe only the FA*200mm F4.0 would top the A* for overall quality... however if you're searching for a longer working distance at high magnification then clearly achromats and telephoto lenses are a good option.

Dear Mike,

My Achromat experiments were before I managed to get the A* 200 macro lens. I also have a 86 mm close-up lens from B&W - but this one is more a softener than a close up ...

Best regards

Holger

Massao Senior Member • Posts: 1,617
Excellent!

Many thanks for this comparison; this is very useful 😊

It really depends on your use and the kind of “effect” one is looking for, but for my use, I like the results by SMC A* 200mm. This thread is a great reference for anyone looking for a neat comparison between most popular macro choices available for Pentaxians. Kudos!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Sony SLT-A37 Pentax K-30 Sony SLT-A58 +46 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads