Considered the best IQ in 15-17mm, 1.7-1.8 prime?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
rb61 Regular Member • Posts: 304
Considered the best IQ in 15-17mm, 1.7-1.8 prime?

Are there any standouts in this range for m43?

Thanks

rb61's gear list:rb61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Bassam Guy Contributing Member • Posts: 886
Re: Considered the best IQ in 15-17mm, 1.7-1.8 prime?

rb61 wrote:

Thanks

I have the Olympus 17 1.8 and nothing else in that range. Some say it is not the sharpest lens but I am more than satisfied with mine. It is built like a tiny tank, focuses fast and accurately, and the manual focus clutch is perfect. You decide if it is a "standout"...

SOOC. Not a great shot but shows center and bottom sharpness. NYC.

Damn, the JPEG looks soft. Seeing if I can show a PNG...

Hope this looks better. Does but View 100% only scrolls to part of it. Now I'll sened 100% crops...

Looks right if you View Original Size

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +4 more
Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 1,730

rb61 wrote:

Thanks

Panasonic 15mm 1.7 is a good one in the range...

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +4 more
Doug Janis Regular Member • Posts: 334

rb61 wrote:

Thanks

The Panasonic 15/1.7 is generally considered a notch above the Olympus 17/1.8.

David Thorpe reviews on YouTube.

Doug Janis's gear list:Doug Janis's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Calmario Junior Member • Posts: 47

The PL 15mm 1.7 is considered a tad better then the Olympus 17mm 1.8 both are small I have the 15mm really like it. Sigma has a very sharp 16mm but it's bigger I wasn't tempted I enjoy a compact good lens.

Calmario's gear list:Calmario's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
addlightness Senior Member • Posts: 3,057
Another vote for 15/1.7 <nt>

No text.

addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +9 more
Tango 55 Regular Member • Posts: 470
One more...

The Lumix 15/1.7 is my favorite. This said by an Olympus shooter...

Tango 55's gear list:Tango 55's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-A1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II
Adielle
Adielle Senior Member • Posts: 1,727

If you're limiting the choice to f/1.7/1.8, you don't have much choice, just two lenses. Either the 15mm f/1.7 or 17mm f/1.8 would be fine.

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 11,590
one more vote on 15

According to DXO, the PL 15 f/1.7 is a better lens in Lab almost on every aspect.

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-MZUIKO-DIGITAL-17mm-F18-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II-versus-Panasonic-Leica-DG-Summilux-15mm-F17-ASPH-on-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-II__1112_1136_1345_1136

Unfortunately it is also true on the price.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,085

What does “standout” mean? What are your criteria?

Lens tests focus on mathematical scores. I judge a lens by its contrast and color rendition.

I shoot the 15/1.7. I’m quite pleased with it. But if you’re looking for a modern draw/pop, you may not like it. Irrespective of all the wonderful test scores.

ToxicTabasco
ToxicTabasco Senior Member • Posts: 2,454

I've only tested out the 15mm f/1.7, and it's one of the sharpest lenses I use. I use it for night sky landscapes with the milky way, and for night video in 4K. @ f/1.7.

Milky Way Panorama with 15mm f/1.7

I have no clue if the 15mm f/1.7 is the best.  But it works great at f/1.7.  Bokeh is decent, close focus is very close, lens flare is well controlled, almost no CA, the Manual Focus ring is smooth and accurate, the lens barrel aperture dial is fun, and comes with a metal hood and 2 lens caps.

ToxicTabasco's gear list:ToxicTabasco's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,358

I would lean towards the 15/1.7.

Perhaps the bargain in that FL range is the Sigma 16/1.4 but it's much, much larger than the other two.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 564

I have the Panasonic 15mm 1.7 and previously had the Olympus 17mm 1.8. The 15mm was a noticeable step up in image quality over the 17mm. The 17 isn’t bad, but the 15 is just a noticeable notch better. My biggest issue with the 17 is that it is really prone to flare/softening when there’s a strong light source in frame. The 15 is just excellent without any reservations. I’d say it’s on the same level as, if not maybe a bit better than, the Panasonic 25mm f1.4.

For other aspects - the 15 focuses very fast even on Olympus bodies, but nothing beats the 17’s focusing speed, so far in my experience. The 17 is also a bit smaller. The 15’s aperture ring is useless on Olympus bodies (the af/mf switch works though), while the 17’s focusing clutch works fine regardless of body.

buratino
buratino Regular Member • Posts: 402
DJI 15mm F1.7

Not PL, but my copy is made in Japan.

buratino's gear list:buratino's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GX850 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
Gnine Regular Member • Posts: 414

uniball wrote:

Lens tests focus on mathematical scores. I judge a lens by its contrast and color rendition.

I shoot the 15/1.7. I’m quite pleased with it. But if you’re looking for a modern draw/pop, you may not like it. Irrespective of all the wonderful test scores.

Well, I've never read a test score in my life, (other than the cricket) and I think it renders very very nicely indeed. Nice smooth OOF backgrounds, lovely contrast & colours.

SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,685

I've owned both the 17 f/1.8 and 15 f/1.7. I've taken both out and shot the same scenes over a range of apertures. My copy of the 15 was optically better than the 17, especially at the widest apertures. That's not to say the 17 f/1.8 is not capable of making terrific photos. I have some travel photos taken with it that I really like. I may be kidding myself but it seems to have a somewhat unique look. Better for things like environmental portraiture, street photography, that type of thing than for things like landscape or architecture, IMO. FWIW, I kept the 15. Don't own it and have never even seen one up close and personal, but the 17 f/1.2 gets glowing reviews. On some professional review sites it tests out as among the very best performers in the m43 system. Kind of big, heavy , and expensive, but for someone who prioritizes IQ, it's probably the best in that focal length range.

uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,085

Gnine wrote:

uniball wrote:

Well, I've never read a test score in my life, (other than the cricket) and I think it renders very very nicely indeed. Nice smooth OOF backgrounds, lovely contrast & colours.

Did you intend to respond to me or the OP? We’re saying the same thing.

Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 1,553

I have been shooting m43 since 2010 and I have accumulated many lenses.  My most go to lens is my 15mm 1.7.  It is amazing just how many keepers I get from it.  One evening when I was in a very small Iceland town, I decided that I would go out with just my 15mm lens.  I would do Panoramics when I wanted wide and would zoom with my feet.  It was just plain old fun to go out with my small GX7 with just the one lens, no camera bag, sling strap, and an extra battery in my pocket.  I just love that lens.

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 1,553

Correction I was using my new GX9 not may old GX7...

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +5 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,591
Re: DJI 15mm F1.7

buratino wrote:

Not PL, but my copy is made in Japan.

I've seen various speculations that the DJI 15mm f/1.7 is/was made in the same factory as the Panasonic-Leica 15mm lens, except the coating on the lens is different.

If you are buying new, the lenses tend to go from cheapest to most expensive:

• Olympus 17mm f/1.8
  • Sigma 16mm f/1.4
  • Panasonic-Leica 15mm f/1.7

Originally the DJI 15mm f/1.7 was more expensive than the PL version new, but neither B&H nor Amazon seem to carry it any longer.  The DJI lens was the kit lens for a DJI drone that used micro 4/3rds lenses (Zen Muse?)

However, if you search around the used market, often times the DJI was cheaper than the PL.

The Olympus tends to be cheaper than either the PL or DJI lenses, but it seems to be subject to a lot of sample variation.

I bought the Sigma 16mm in addition to the PL 15mm, primarily because it is rated to be splash proof, but given the size/weight of the lens, I tend to take the PL more often, as it is easy to throw 2-3 of the small lenses in the bag.

So far I haven't used the Sigma 16mm lens (I had planned to take it out 3 weeks ago, but I had a broken HLD-6 that I needed to replace).  I have taken out the PL 15mm, and I feel it provides great images.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads