Top of the Rock - worth visiting without a camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
JD2775 Regular Member • Posts: 282
Top of the Rock - worth visiting without a camera?

GF and I are heading to Boston/NY in a cpl weeks, I am leaving the camera at home.  We are doing a lot of walking, I don't want to lug it around and this is not a "photography" trip, it's a trip for us.

I am wondering if the experience alone is worth visiting Top of the Rock? I'll have my iphone with me, so I can at least take some pics and we would probably go at late afternoon/sunset time.   I just can't figure out if its worth shelling out $50-$75 each for the experience.

Any advice from those who have been?

JD2775's gear list:JD2775's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +1 more
mbrphoto Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: Top of the Rock - worth visiting without a camera?

If you have a couple hours to kill and want to intermingle with a few hundred people with a cool view then yea.  For me, the only reason to go there is to take pictures.  But I do work around the corner so I maybe have a different perspective than most...

mbrphoto's gear list:mbrphoto's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +2 more
Gman58 Senior Member • Posts: 2,183

I would recommend it. Been there 2 or 3 times. Definitely time it for the sunset if possible. I prefer it to the Empire State Building. On a clear night you will have beautiful views in all directions. I think I paid $29/ticket a couple of years ago..

Enjoy the city

Gary

Gman58's gear list:Gman58's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
Bob T2i
Bob T2i Regular Member • Posts: 329

Definitely recommend it.

Try to reserve near sunset, if you can.

Bob

Bob T2i's gear list:Bob T2i's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

Main advantage of Top of the Rock over Empire State is that you can see the Empire State Building.

Personally,  I wouldn't go anywhere without some form of interchangeable lens camera, so I can't answer if it's worth it or not, but I've enjoyed my visits up there.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads