infrared

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
karen clanin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,806
infrared

Have a place that converts to infrared but would like to know from others which model is the best to do, thanks.

Gordon Ripley
Gordon Ripley Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: infrared have done with D200, D810 and D750

My first was with a D200 and it was pitiful becuse the window is so small!!!

My next with the D810 (or was it a D800?  Cant recall) I just felt that it was too much of an expense to tie up with infra red.  so, I had it reversed and sold the camera.

Now, I use a converted D750 and absolutely love it!!!

I need to mention before I forget...  If you do not yet have a camera for conversion buy a GRAY MARKET camera because once you modify the camera your Nikon waranty is no longer \valid so you might as well save some money and buy a camera where yo u do not get a Nikon USA warranty.  I have had NO PROBLEMS with my gray market purchase for Infrared conversion.

I like the 24mp versions of cameras mainly because the ones like the D850 create such large files. (I do have a D850 but find my self using my "normal" D750 the most.)

If that is confusing, I apologize.  I had a normal D750,  a Infrared D750 and a normal D850.

I used Life Pixel for my conversions and am happy with them.  I  can also recommend that you try an Infrared workshop.  I attended one offered by New Life Photosheld down in Swan Quarter North Carolina and was VERY SATISFIED.    LifePixel also offers workshops but I have no experience with that part of their business.

Best of luck!

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Gordon

Gordon Ripley's gear list:Gordon Ripley's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +3 more
Gordon Ripley
Gordon Ripley Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: infrared have done with D200, D810 and D750

I should have said that  I HAVE a D750 IR, a normal D750 and Normal D850.  sorry - getting old I guess.

Gordon

Gordon Ripley's gear list:Gordon Ripley's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +3 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 11,060
Interesting question ...

karen clanin wrote:

Have a place that converts to infrared but would like to know from others which model is the best to do, thanks.

Some cameras are better than others. Generally, I suspect the older models are better but that is supposition, not fact. However, there is another factor you need to weigh up namely what wavelength do you want to have as the IR pass?

I modified my D90 and chose 720nm. Higher than that and it becomes harder to retrieve any colour data (I love IR false color). Lower than that and the resultant image might not look sufficiently different from a non-IR camera.

Here are a couple of mine:

Sheffield Park

View from my study

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,279
Re: Interesting question ...

David Lal wrote:

karen clanin wrote:

Some cameras are better than others. Generally, I suspect the older models are better but that is supposition, not fact. However, there is another factor you need to weigh up namely what wavelength do you want to have as the IR pass?

I modified my D90 and chose 720nm. Higher than that and it becomes harder to retrieve any colour data (I love IR false color). Lower than that and the resultant image might not look sufficiently different from a non-IR camera.

Here are a couple of mine:

Sheffield Park

View from my study

Very nice David! And clean sensors too! 

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
OP karen clanin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,806
Re: Interesting question ...

Sheffield Park

View from my study

Thanks, stunning photos.

We each have a converted pentax as that has been what we have used for about 30 years, thinking of changing. here are a few of mine, some using the first converted camera and some with the second converted one. https://pbase.com/kclanin/infrared

I personally do a lot of close up photography, Jim does more scenics.

David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 11,060
@24peter, @Karen

karen clanin wrote:

Here are a few of mine, some using the first converted camera and some with the second converted one. https://pbase.com/kclanin/infrared

@24Peter: You make me smile!

@Karen: I enjoyed looking at your pbase link. Clearly, you are more creative than I am (never even thought about doing IR plants). I particularly liked the grapes and the tendrils images.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads