Sling type camera strap?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
vwcrusher Regular Member • Posts: 278
Sling type camera strap?

Never tried one, but given the weight of my camera/lens it might be time. Unfortunately, I know pretty much nothing about them. Even relatively moderate outings, I find that the weight on my neck is a problem. I have seen folks with sling type straps where the camera actually rests near their hip....not sure if this is a good idea.

Any advice is appreciated.

vwcrusher's gear list:vwcrusher's gear list
Nikon D7200 Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 (B023)
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
BSiler Regular Member • Posts: 336
Re: Sling type camera strap?

I definitely prefer a sling strap over a neck strap -- even for a very light camera, and certainly for a full frame DSLR.  It works really well to have the camera hanging to the side or, if you want, slightly behind your hip.  After a couple of years switching between a Black Rapid sling and a Peak Design sling, I finally settled on the PD.  I think the PD sling more readily accommodates tripod use, and I like being able to quickly adjust the length.

BSiler's gear list:BSiler's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
OP vwcrusher Regular Member • Posts: 278

Thank you for the reply.

In looking at the Peak Design and Black Rapid websites, they seem to make a variety of bags and slings. I am interested in a sling. Would you mind sharing the specific sling you prefer?

: )

I have both the Slide, https://www.peakdesign.com/products/slide#reviews, and the Slide Lite, https://www.peakdesign.com/products/slide-lite. The Slide is a half inch wider and has more padding for your shoulder. But I prefer the Slide Lite -- even for a fairly heavy load. These days, the heaviest camera-lens combination I carry weighs just over 5 pounds, and I find the Slide Lite is very comfortable with that weight. Also the Slide Lite is much less bulky than the Slide, which is very nice when you are stuffing the camera and strap into a bag.

On days when I carry the camera in a shoulder bag, I detach the sling and use this Peak Design hand strap: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/clutch.

As you can tell, I like PD products, even though they are pricey.

Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,055

I also own and use the BR and PD straps for different setups.

For me, the BR strap is the most versatile all around strap.

The classic would work great for you.

http://www.blackrapid.com/Classic-Retro-RS4

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more

Thanks for the posts, guys.

It seems like I have a couple of options that I will need to research.

In looking at the Slide Light video it seems that there are multiple options for how to carry. I just wonder if is to high on the torso, where it will bounce......

While the Retro almost seems to complex, according to the video.....

Any other comments or tips would be great.....

IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,191

vwcrusher wrote:

In looking at the Slide Light video it seems that there are multiple options for how to carry. I just wonder if is to high on the torso, where it will bounce......

i used BlackRapid for years and they are comfortable but I heard of accidental dropping and started looking. I am now using Magpul QD slings with Really Right Stuff camera baseplates and lens feet. They work well for me

Iain

vwcrusher wrote:

The length of the PD slings is easily adjusted with one hand, on-the-go,  So you can easily adjust where the camera rests against your torso.  Sometimes when hiking, I shorten the sling and pull the camera entirely behind me where it rests at the small of my back.  On the other hand, if I'm shooting frequently, I keep the sling longer, so that there is plenty of slack as i lift the camera to eye level.  In short, it will "bounce" where you choose.

Here's what I like about the Black Rapid sling:  You only have one tether point to disconnect if you want to take the camera off the sling.  And when you do take the camera off the sling, the sling stays put on your shoulder.  When you disconnect the two ends of the PD sling, the sling will just slide off your shoulder onto the ground.

AZheaven Contributing Member • Posts: 727

I have the Peak Design Slide Lite for my A7iii. Previously I used it with my Nikon D7200. But I started attaching the strap via a method from Sony Ambassador Mark Galer. Granted it's used with the 200-600 lens, but works better for me with my 24-105. I attach on part of the strap to a plate on the bottom of the camera and the other to the opposite side of the grip. Sit's on my hip better.

And I've been to the Grand Canyon 48 times. And every single time I'm there I see people with heavy DSLR's looking miserable because they use their brand strap around their neck. I either have my PD strap on or my Opteka camera harness on. That's when I get the most stares!

Sage Senior Member • Posts: 2,421
Also, consider ProMedia Gear Strap. (nt)

No text.

Sage's gear list:Sage's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +19 more
Paul_Joseph
Paul_Joseph Junior Member • Posts: 40

IainD wrote:

vwcrusher wrote:

i used BlackRapid for years and they are comfortable but I heard of accidental dropping and started looking. I am now using Magpul QD slings with Really Right Stuff camera baseplates and lens feet. They work well for me

Iain

Hi Iain

I just ordered the same combo but couldn’t find any picks online of how it looks like on shoulder.

Currently I’m using a peak design wrist strap not clutch on my a7–iii  even with a heavy lens like the 135 GM.

Now I’ve just ordered the Magpul MS4 sling Gen4 with the QD plate from RRS.

Could you let me know the reasons of why did you choose such a combo and how does it experience with long hours of walking around with a heavy setup.

Paul_Joseph's gear list:Paul_Joseph's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS 700D Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM +4 more

GMasterPro wrote:

IainD wrote:

vwcrusher wrote:

Iain

Hi Iain

I just ordered the same combo but couldn’t find any picks online of how it looks like on shoulder.

Currently I’m using a peak design wrist strap not clutch on my a7–iii even with a heavy lens like the 135 GM.

Could you let me know the reasons of why did you choose such a combo and how does it experience with long hours of walking around with a heavy setup.

So far I have not had a chance to put in the hours! Work and bad weather...you know!

I read about the breakages from BR but I have had no personal BR accidents, but several people have had them break. Also, they are not super convenient for tripod use. The RRS Magpie seemed to be the answer. I have used it with D5, D850 with and without grip, and I think it is probably the answer for me. Others have said the Magpulis not comfortable, but no problem for me so far.

It still uses a device screwed into the tripod socket, and perhaps I am kidding myself that I am better with the strap attached to the plate!

Good luck

Iain

Also, I forgot to say, the ProMedia Gear qQD is NOT compatible with the RRS/Magpul socket and swivel.

I

Thanks for all the replies; honestly, it is a bit overwhelming.....nearly too many options. In looking at some of the suggestions, they seem to favor a pro who will be carrying gear for a full day, unless I am not understanding it correctly.

I am not a pro, but a fairly serious amateur that, let's say is getting on in years a bit. Again, the rationale and intended use is to reduce the weight on my neck, but be nice and available for a shot. I do not need the very best, and am a big believer in KISS (keep it simple).

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Jimmy K.
Jimmy K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,005

I like sling strap. Puts the weight on my shoulders and not my neck. I can use sling strap for hours. I also switch the strap between right and left shoulders.

I have used Black Rapid RS4 on Canon FF camera with 24-70mm F2.8L II lens. The Black Rapid connects to single point at tripod mount. The positive is that camera+lens will find the heavies point and just balance. The negative is that lens can rotate and move around.

I now use Peak Design Slide Lite strap with Sony APS-C mirrorless camera. This is a smaller strap for lighter setup. This requires 2 connection points:

• Can be 2 of the original camera strap points, but this doesn't work well with large lenses, as camera's back is against the body and lens will stick out.
  • Or can use 1 original camera strap point, and other is the tripod mount; this works better for large lenses, as lens will hang below the camera.
 Jimmy K.'s gear list:Jimmy K.'s gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +3 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,075

I use a Joby Ultrafit. $26 at B&H.

It attaches via the tripod screw hole with a swivel. Not only is this quite strong, but with the single point of attachment the camera can spin around without bind up, a problem I had with straps I abandoned that used the two little strap attachment points.

It allows you to cinch up tight against your chest then quickly lengthen for shots.

If you get their Ultraplate (or another Arca plate with a tripod screw hole) you can easily put the camera on a tripod or monopod without taking off the strap.

I use it on full frame with some quite big lenses as well as a M43 camera.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 26,109

vwcrusher wrote:

Never tried one, but given the weight of my camera/lens it might be time. Unfortunately, I know pretty much nothing about them. Even relatively moderate outings, I find that the weight on my neck is a problem. I have seen folks with sling type straps where the camera actually rests near their hip....not sure if this is a good idea.

Any advice is appreciated.

I switched to sling straps years ago, and will never again use a standard neck straps.  Yes, the camera does rest and bump against your hip, but with a neck strap it swings and bumps against your chest so I'm not sure either one is better or worse   I can carry a heavier lens attached (i.e. Canon 100-400) for much longer with a sling strap than with a shoulder strap.

Mark

IainD wrote:

vwcrusher wrote:

i used BlackRapid for years and they are comfortable but I heard of accidental dropping and started looking.

I've always "heard about" these accidental droppings, but there doesn't seem to be much to them.  The provided carabiner is on a free swivel attachment, so it's not possible for it to loosen the lug from the camera or tripod foot.  It's not difficult at all to tighten the lug.  I've been using BR straps for many years and have never experienced a lug (or tripod plate with a D-ring) coming loose.

Mark

IainD wrote:

GMasterPro wrote:

IainD wrote:

vwcrusher wrote:

Iain

Hi Iain

Currently I’m using a peak design wrist strap not clutch on my a7–iii even with a heavy lens like the 135 GM.

So far I have not had a chance to put in the hours! Work and bad weather...you know!

I read about the breakages from BR but I have had no personal BR accidents, but several people have had them break. Also, they are not super convenient for tripod use.

There are Arca-Swiss compatible BR plates available that have a D-ring built-in so it's just a matter of unclipping the strap.  There are also  attachments for Manfrotto RC2 plates that replace the existing screw with one that has a D-ring.

Mark

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 2,055

Mark B. wrote:

IainD wrote:

vwcrusher wrote:

i used BlackRapid for years and they are comfortable but I heard of accidental dropping and started looking.

I've always "heard about" these accidental droppings, but there doesn't seem to be much to them. The provided carabiner is on a free swivel attachment, so it's not possible for it to loosen the lug from the camera or tripod foot. It's not difficult at all to tighten the lug. I've been using BR straps for many years and have never experienced a lug (or tripod plate with a D-ring) coming loose.

Mark

I have used the BR straps for years. I like them a lot.

I had a camera drop off a BR strap once in 7 years. I believe the cause was that I did not tighten the strap to the tripod threads on the bottom of the camera properly.

With most straps, it is clear-cut or binary if the camera is attached properly to the strap of not. With the BR, the  security of the camera is dependent on how tightly the photographer screws on the strap to the camera.

I think BR has tethers for extra security but I have never used the,

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
www.billgulkerphotography.com

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads