Live view focus 80 D

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sjs9828 Regular Member • Posts: 217
Live view focus 80 D

Reading, including the manual, about how the 80 d focuses in live view and why to use it.

Manual focusing, instead of auto focusing, seems to be the recommended way for people that are using live view to get sharp photos.

The manual says that live view will focus by using the normal focus points if the shutter is pressed half way (or BBF does the same as I've been messing with it).

I assume that this will give the same degree of focus as using the view findner and be effected by MFA settings.

The second way to focus is to touch the screen on the desired subject. I assume that this uses contrast, separately from the normal focus points, to focus and would not be effected by MFA settings.

Am I thinking correctly?

Also, I do not seem to be able to zoom and touch screen for focus. I can zoom but it won't touch screen focus. I have the correct choice of the shutter being choosen (per the manual).

Also, when I change to focusing by a button it automatically goes out of zoom.

So, cnn I zoom in and then focus while keeping the zoom so i can see how well focused that I am?

sjs9828's gear list:sjs9828's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 80D +1 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,734
Re: Live view focus 80 D

sjs9828 wrote:

Reading, including the manual, about how the 80 d focuses in live view and why to use it.

Manual focusing, instead of auto focusing, seems to be the recommended way for people that are using live view to get sharp photos.

The manual says that live view will focus by using the normal focus points if the shutter is pressed half way (or BBF does the same as I've been messing with it).

I assume that this will give the same degree of focus as using the view findner and be effected by MFA settings.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I think your assumption is incorrect - LV is LV, whether you use a "normal" AF point or touch the screen, so it could be different to the OVF, and should be unaffected by AFMA.

The second way to focus is to touch the screen on the desired subject. I assume that this uses contrast, separately from the normal focus points, to focus and would not be effected by MFA settings.

Am I thinking correctly?

No, I don't think so.

Also, I do not seem to be able to zoom and touch screen for focus. I can zoom but it won't touch screen focus. I have the correct choice of the shutter being choosen (per the manual).

So, cnn I zoom in and then focus while keeping the zoom so i can see how well focused that I am?

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,405

sjs9828 wrote:

Uh, no

Am I thinking correctly?

In live view I use touch focus with movie servo and face tracking for auto focus

OP sjs9828 Regular Member • Posts: 217

RedFox88 wrote:

sjs9828 wrote:

Uh, no

Am I thinking correctly?

In live view I use touch focus with movie servo and face tracking for auto focus

thanks for the tip. ill mess with that.

But in regards to the first comment it seems that numerous people use the live view with manual focus for landscape and other still photography. The ability to manually focus on a bigger screen seems to be the advantage, plus with the shutter already up they then snap the shot using a remote to eliminate camera shake.

Andy01 wrote:

sjs9828 wrote:

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I think your assumption is incorrect - LV is LV, whether you use a "normal" AF point or touch the screen, so it could be different to the OVF, and should be unaffected by AFMA.

Am I thinking correctly?

No, I don't think so.

Colin

I assumed that the focus points on the view finder focus in the same manner and location no matter which screen is being looked at.

I guess one way to find out would be to really skew my MFA and take shots in both LV and the viewfinder.

jp4 Senior Member • Posts: 1,115

sjs9828 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

sjs9828 wrote:

Uh, no

Am I thinking correctly?

thanks for the tip. ill mess with that.

But in regards to the first comment it seems that numerous people use the live view with manual focus for landscape and other still photography. The ability to manually focus on a bigger screen seems to be the advantage, plus with the shutter already up they then snap the shot using a remote to eliminate camera shake.

For certain subjects, mf in lv is the best way to achieve your best focus. You center the main subject in lv, then magnify to 10x with the magnify button, then focus manually.

jp4's gear list:jp4's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon EOS 80D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM
jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,527

sjs9828 wrote:

Am I thinking correctly?

Generally, when I shoot from a tripod, I use manual focus in live view. For critical focus for macro / close up, I magnify the image in live view focusing manually.

I'm not sure I understand your question about zooming and then trying to touch the screen to move the focus point. If you're zooming in to manually focus, the focus point is irrelevant because you're not using it. If you're using auto focus in live view, there's no reason to zoom in.

Also, AFMA only affects view finder focusing. A good way to see if your lens needs adjusted is to set up on a tripod, take 1 picture with live view, take the same picture through the view finder and see if they're the same. If the image shot through the view finder isn't as sharp as the live view image, AFMA can help improve it.

-- hide signature --

I keep some of my favorite pictures here,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129958940@N03/

jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more

"I'm not sure I understand your question about zooming and then trying to touch the screen to move the focus point. If you're zooming in to manually focus, the focus point is irrelevant because you're not using it. If you're using auto focus in live view, there's no reason to zoom in."

yeah, probably a bit unclear on that. This may not be any better...

with this question i am asking if when using autofocus, not manual focus, if theres a way to focus when zoomed in (not move the focus point). When I try zooming in and then push the button to use the autofocus, then it jumps out of the zoomed screen.

My guess is that since a focus point is being used that it is unable to. Thats a bit much to expect the system to do. But I thought Id ask in case it is posdible.

yeah,reading about MFA and  then reading about the comparison of a live view shot and a view finder shot is what got me interested in learning about live view. I haven't had the camera too long and just figured Id just use the view finder.  But these topics showed me that I may benefit knowing more about LV.

Thanks for the tip.

Just all sorts of new stuff to learn.

jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,527

sjs9828 wrote:

with this question i am asking if when using autofocus, not manual focus, if theres a way to focus when zoomed in (not move the focus point). When I try zooming in and then push the button to use the autofocus, then it jumps out of the zoomed screen.

My guess is that since a focus point is being used that it is unable to. Thats a bit much to expect the system to do. But I thought Id ask in case it is posdible.

I've never tried to do that. If I'm using AF in live view I wouldn't have any reason to zoom in. Do you want to do that to confirm if the focus is accurate? If you don't trust the AF, manually focus.

-- hide signature --

I keep some of my favorite pictures here,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129958940@N03/

jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more

jvc1 wrote:

sjs9828 wrote:

I've never tried to do that. If I'm using AF in live view I wouldn't have any reason to zoom in. Do you want to do that to confirm if the focus is accurate? If you don't trust the AF, manually focus.

yeah, im just getting started with it. Experienced people help quite a bit. Didnt even know about MFA until recently when someone mentioned it after a concern I had about focusing. This weekend I hope to finally try to MFA a lens or two.

Anyhow, my thought was maybe I could zoom in the LV and then AF. Then with the screen still zoomed in maybe I could look at it and, if needed, switch to manual to fine tune it.

Thought it might go more quickly than starting with the manual focus.

Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,734

sjs9828 wrote:

I guess one way to find out would be to really skew my MFA and take shots in both LV and the viewfinder.

Feel free to try it for yourself, but I can assure you that when I have done my AFMA checks and adjusting, I have NEVER used touchscreen shutter release in LV, and using LV with the shutter button has always shown up any differences between OVF and LV.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,405

sjs9828 wrote:

But in regards to the first comment it seems that numerous people use the live view with manual focus for landscape and other still photography.

For landscape photos what’s the point of manual focus in live view other than to feel “like a real photographer “ when touch focus is far faster and more accurate? Use 21st century tools!

The ability to manually focus on a bigger screen seems to be the advantage, plus with the shutter already up they then snap the shot using a remote to eliminate camera shake.

Got it

okay

I had my servo on in LV.  Every time you focus with that on it jumps out of zoom.

But, after reading the manual more closely,  I found if I set the LV setting to One Shot I can zoom and then focus using a button (shutter or a back focus button can be set) and it will not jump out of zoom until I take a shot.

This allows a quick AF in zoom and, if it is off a bit, the ability to switch to manual to fine tune.

Now how practical that is, IDK. But I learned a bit about how this works.

Also, in order to have touch screen focusing to work the shutter needs to be a choice for AF. You can also have a back button focus in addition to it but not instead of it.

Thanks for the input.

Got it

okay

I had my servo on in LV. Every time you focus with that on it jumps out of zoom.

But, after reading the manual more closely, I found if I set the LV setting to One Shot I can zoom and then focus using a button (shutter or a back focus button can be set) and it will not jump out of zoom until I take a shot.

This allows a quick AF in zoom and, if it is off a bit, the ability to switch to manual to fine tune.

Now how practical that is, IDK. But I learned a bit about how this works.

Also, in order to have touch screen focusing to work the shutter needs to be a choice for AF. You can also have a back button focus in addition to it but not instead of it.

Thanks for the input.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads