EM1-Mk2 shortened battery life issue

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 5,349
EM1-Mk2 shortened battery life issue

Okay so here we go and this doesn't just apply to Olympus cameras, but my em1-mk2 is certainly the worst culprit?

Previously I have always automatically switched my M43 cameras off if there is to be a period of time between shots. However as the battery life on my em1-mk2 is normally so good, I have started to get a bit lazy recently about doing this. Which is how last weekend I ended up putting the camera back in the bag still switched on!

Over one hour later when I took it out the camera was HOT. I realised immediately what the cause was and as I hadn't taken a spare battery (I don't need one anymore most times when using the em1-mk2) I was frightened to check to see how much battery life I had left. Well fortunately it was still well over 75% which allowed me to shoot many hundreds of fireworks for the next hour.

... And the cause: -
As the camera was accidentally still switched on when in my bag and the EVF was in close proximity to the inside of the camera bag, it meant the 'auto switch-on' EVF was activated all the time the camera was in the bag, hence the battery drain and the hot camera

This leads me onto this evenings scenario and although my panasonic GX8 can also do this to a lesser extent, the em1-mk2 is far worse: When walking around looking for subjects to photograph with the camera on a strap around my neck I was holding it just in front of my slightly too large belly - and of course this triggers the EVF to be switched on. That's when it occurred to me that this could be the cause for many photographers reporting poor battery life from certain mirrorless (and hence EVF) cameras?

It is worthy of note that the Panasonic GX8 EVF needs to be really close to trigger the switch on (and it always works well and seems about right), but unfortunately the em1-mk2 is hyper sensitive and will switch the EVF on from a distance of quite a few inches away. ... and I know this because when I occasionally use the rear screen to take a shot, if anything is anywhere near the EVF (camera strap or clothing) the rear screen goes blank and I have to move the camera some distance away from me to get the rear screen to come back on - and as that is not always convenient I find it to be incredibly irritating!

PS. Is there any way to make the em1-mk2 EVF less sensitive?

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Box Brownie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,144
Re: EM1-Mk2 shortened battery life issue

I can only make a couple of observations as I have never experienced what you describe.

Firstly as I recall there are settings in the menu for how long to go into sleep/snooze if no buttons pressed & to auto shutdown after a specified period ~ having said that in the 'in the bag still turned on scenario' and your surmise would either of those settings "act".

The other observation ~ I never use the regular strap!
I have a Black Rapid Sling with a C-12 Arca Swiss clamp attached to it and have as needed the appropriate AS plate on the body and the lens tripod mount foot.  With that method the only thing that 'persists' is the LCD on...........but as I have set a sleep after 2 mins all it takes is shutter press (any button?) to wake it up ready for action.

HTH even though not a direct answer to the issue you raise

-- hide signature --
kalisti Forum Member • Posts: 71

was this using the quick sleep mode or just the usual mode, my understanding was the shutter button woke the camera with quick sleep and would sleep after a minimum of 3secs, perhaps quick sleep would help, although maybe not ideal?

Im not an e-m1ii owner, so if this is all nonsense a free bump at least XD

(it does seem a little obscure setting up quick sleep, youtube channel unlocking olympus has a guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olkkQ7roQ8 )

good luck!

kalisti's gear list:kalisti's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
Adrian Harris
OP Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 5,349
Answer to both ...

Thank you for reminding me about the. Sleep setting. I always had it set for 1 or 2 mins, but after upgrading firmware I noticed that not all my settings were necessarily recovered. So that's another thing I better check in the morning!

I must admit I did find it odd but never gave that a thought.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,125
Re: Answer to both ...

Adrian Harris wrote:

Thank you for reminding me about the. Sleep setting. I always had it set for 1 or 2 mins, but after upgrading firmware I noticed that not all my settings were necessarily recovered. So that's another thing I better check in the morning!

The quick sleep would probably work as long as you have it set to a short interval, so the camera sleeps before putting it in the bag.  However, if it is not already sleeping when put in the bag, then the eye sensor will probably keep the camera on.  After firmware 3.0, the waking from sleep is fast, so unless you need very quick response from the camera, it is a good way to greatly extend battery life.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
AussiePhil Contributing Member • Posts: 579

Adrian Harris wrote:

Personally i tend to throw the camera back in the bag turned on more than it is off and occasionally i have had this happen with the camera obviously staying awake.

Nothing consistent though.

Can't recall it happening with the em1x yet though.

-- hide signature --

Cheers and best wishes
Phil
Galleries at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/byphilg/

Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Veteran Member • Posts: 9,766

I always carry my EM-1 mk2 with the LCD closed (and shoot like that most of the time)

resolves the issue for me

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Messier Object
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,409

Adrian Harris wrote:

Okay so here we go and this doesn't just apply to Olympus cameras, but my em1-mk2 is certainly the worst culprit?

Previously I have always automatically switched my M43 cameras off if there is to be a period of time between shots. However as the battery life on my em1-mk2 is normally so good, I have started to get a bit lazy recently about doing this. Which is how last weekend I ended up putting the camera back in the bag still switched on!

Over one hour later when I took it out the camera was HOT. I realised immediately what the cause was and as I hadn't taken a spare battery (I don't need one anymore most times when using the em1-mk2) I was frightened to check to see how much battery life I had left. Well fortunately it was still well over 75% which allowed me to shoot many hundreds of fireworks for the next hour.

As the camera was accidentally still switched on when in my bag and the EVF was in close proximity to the inside of the camera bag, it meant the 'auto switch-on' EVF was activated all the time the camera was in the bag, hence the battery drain and the hot camera

This leads me onto this evenings scenario and although my panasonic GX8 can also do this to a lesser extent, the em1-mk2 is far worse: When walking around looking for subjects to photograph with the camera on a strap around my neck I was holding it just in front of my slightly too large belly - and of course this triggers the EVF to be switched on. That's when it occurred to me that this could be the cause for many photographers reporting poor battery life from certain mirrorless (and hence EVF) cameras?

It is worthy of note that the Panasonic GX8 EVF needs to be really close to trigger the switch on (and it always works well and seems about right), but unfortunately the em1-mk2 is hyper sensitive and will switch the EVF on from a distance of quite a few inches away. ... and I know this because when I occasionally use the rear screen to take a shot, if anything is anywhere near the EVF (camera strap or clothing) the rear screen goes blank and I have to move the camera some distance away from me to get the rear screen to come back on - and as that is not always convenient I find it to be incredibly irritating!

Adrian, in my experience it doesn’t matter whether or not  you have the EVF activated, if the camera is left ON the batteries will drain very quickly.

I discovered this when I inadvertently left the camera in a Custom mode for which I didn’t have the Sleep Timer active. I even had the rear screen closed. Without any obvious activity and both screens OFF the camera chewed through 100% of the battery in the grip and most of the battery in the body - in just 2 hours!  And I found the camera was quite warm to touch.  Nobody here has given me an explanation or suggestion as to what the camera is doing to chew though so much battery when it sits idle with both screens off.

I recommend a short Sleep Time setting

Peter

Adrian Harris

Brian Wadie wrote:

I always carry my EM-1 mk2 with the LCD closed (and shoot like that most of the time)

resolves the issue for me

Out of interest when in the bag it also had screen closed, but I assume it must have activated the EVF to be so hot?

-- hide signature --
Adrian Harris

Messier Object wrote:

Adrian Harris wrote:

Adrian, in my experience it doesn’t matter whether or not you have the EVF activated, if the camera is left ON the batteries will drain very quickly.

I discovered this when I inadvertently left the camera in a Custom mode for which I didn’t have the Sleep Timer active. I even had the rear screen closed. Without any obvious activity and both screens OFF the camera chewed through 100% of the battery in the grip and most of the battery in the body - in just 2 hours! And I found the camera was quite warm to touch. Nobody here has given me an explanation or suggestion as to what the camera is doing to chew though so much battery when it sits idle with both screens off.

Wow that's a surprise and well worth knowing!

I recommend a short Sleep Time setting

Peter

-- hide signature --
Adrian Harris

drj3 wrote:

Adrian Harris wrote:

The quick sleep would probably work as long as you have it set to a short interval, so the camera sleeps before putting it in the bag. However, if it is not already sleeping when put in the bag,

That's a good point.

then the eye sensor will probably keep the camera on. After firmware 3.0, the waking from sleep is fast, so unless you need very quick response from the camera, it is a good way to greatly extend battery life.

-- hide signature --

drj3

-- hide signature --
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 4,074

How about trying setting J2 in the menu, Auto power off.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Olympus E-PL8 Olympus E-M1 II +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads