First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!
10

I'm having me some fun with my new toy, a Samyang 24mm Tilt-shift lens.

I was very hesitant about buying it in light of some of the negative reviews, but so far I'm quite impressed. Yes it does have distortion, but it's not always evident and fairly easy to correct. Flare can also be a problem and I have a lens hood on the way, but sharpness is surprisingly good particularly when stopped down.

Here are a few of my first attempts using the shift function. Processed in LR, PS and AI Clear in Topaz Studio.

Zoom in to see the detail.

Feedback welcome:

2 Horizontals merged in PS

2 horizontals merged in PS (3 bracketed exposures for top and bottom merged in LR)

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,427
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

I like the colors in that old church, and looking at straight vertical lines is such an improvement.

there are some soft areas tho, like the stained glass in the top right corner, and on the street shot, the flower beds in front.

was the distortion corrected before the merge, or after?

aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 1,828
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

Corelli wrote:

I'm having me some fun with my new toy, a Samyang 24mm Tilt-shift lens.

I was very hesitant about buying it in light of some of the negative reviews, but so far I'm quite impressed. Yes it does have distortion, but it's not always evident and fairly easy to correct. Flare can also be a problem and I have a lens hood on the way, but sharpness is surprisingly good particularly when stopped down.

Here are a few of my first attempts using the shift function. Processed in LR, PS and AI Clear in Topaz Studio.

Zoom in to see the detail.

Feedback welcome:

2 Horizontals merged in PS

2 horizontals merged in PS (3 bracketed exposures for top and bottom merged in LR)

Yes indeed. Nice!

So... I'm waiting for Sony to make one of those

 aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
John Borrelli
John Borrelli Contributing Member • Posts: 648
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!
1

The first image with the flowers seems like the type of image that would benefit from the use of tilt. I have never used a tilt and shift lens but I have used a variety of 4X5 cameras. So take my comments with a grain of salt. Please use a tripod and a focusing cloth and forget about the viewfinder and use the lcd screen. With view cameras, you would probably look at the flowers. They go from the foreground to two thirds into the scene. With a view camera (simplifying here), you would focus on for example the flowers in the back ground and tilt until the flowers in the foreground became in focus. If this is done correctly, you can literally see a plane of focus that goes from the flower blossoms in the near ground to the flower blossoms in the far ground and (if you have a good dark cloth), you will probably see the top of the bus and bottom row of windows in the distant building are also magically in focus even at f3.5. This represents the plane of focus at that fstop. You stop down to increase the “wedge” of the depth of field. There is no free lunch, so the tree branches in the foreground at the right as well as, the building walls in the foreground to the right and left will have to be louped, as well as the top of the church spire in the background, because those areas might be just outside of the wedge of focus. The nice thing is that Sony provides you with a wonderful loupe! Good luck with the new lens! Just in case you develop a love for all this, here is an image of my Wisner Pocket Expedition, the only camera I truly regret selling. All the best, john

-- hide signature --

John Borrelli

OP Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

aSevenArr wrote:

Corelli wrote:

I'm having me some fun with my new toy, a Samyang 24mm Tilt-shift lens.

I was very hesitant about buying it in light of some of the negative reviews, but so far I'm quite impressed. Yes it does have distortion, but it's not always evident and fairly easy to correct. Flare can also be a problem and I have a lens hood on the way, but sharpness is surprisingly good particularly when stopped down.

Here are a few of my first attempts using the shift function. Processed in LR, PS and AI Clear in Topaz Studio.

Zoom in to see the detail.

Feedback welcome:

2 Horizontals merged in PS

2 horizontals merged in PS (3 bracketed exposures for top and bottom merged in LR)

Yes indeed. Nice!

So... I'm waiting for Sony to make one of those

Yes, that would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
OP Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

Actually, I didn't correct for distortion on those photos, because they looked acceptable to me.

On others, I have used the Samyang 24mm 1.4 lens profile in LR while in RAW. After conversion you have to do it manually or use something like PT-Lens.

I shot these at F8, but should have probably stopped down to F11 to get that last bit of sharpness in the corners. Still experimenting. Same with the flowers in the front.

I'll be going out again today to see what I can accomplish with the tilt mechanism.

I have noticed that there is some smearing of fine detail at the extreme top edge when using the full up shift.

But certainly for the price of around $700, I'm quite pleased.

It does have me wondering if I would be better served by the Laowa 12mm with the MSC.

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
OP Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!
1

Thanks for that detailed feedback! Beautiful camera!

I haven't come to grips yet with the tilt mechanism, but that is exactly what I was trying to achieve, but didn't quite nail it.

I will definitely give your instructions a work out today.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Visit my galleries at:
http://beautiful-life.smugmug.com/

 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,567
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

That´s good to hear. I was thinking about adopting the old Canon 24mm TS-E Mark I, but I´ve already had it several years ago and it was one of the softest Canon lenses I´ve ever used. Also, it basically has only 8mm of shift way, after that you hit the red mark on the lens and get awful and uncorrectable distortions in the upper part of the image (with an upshift). The Mark II is supposedly much better and has more shift way, but it´s also pretty expensive, even second hand.

Right now I have adopted a Nikon 28mm PC lens to my Sony A7, but, frankly, with 28mm it´s hardly worth having a shift lens at all.

The best shift lens ever is the 17mm TS-E, but it´s huge and expensive.

-- hide signature --

Wald

OP Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

I'm also starting to think I might be better served by the Laowa 12mm and the MSC. I'm not that interested in the tilt function, but haven't really given it a fair try as yet.

I do like the FOV that I've been able to get with the 24mm, but obviously 17mm would allow me to get in those taller buildings/churches. I don't see myself carrying around two tilt shift lenses though.

The Canons are just too expensive for me to justify as an amateur.

The Samyang offers 12 degrees of shift, but the extreme edge at the top or bottom does show some smearing. Backing off just a small amount makes a real difference.

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,567
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!
2

The 17mm TS-E is a completely different beast. See the shot below (not a good shot, but it shows the amount of shift you get). Also, it doesn´t have any barrel distortion at all.

With 28mm or 24mm, you basically can do the perspective correction using an image editor. It´s the wider focal lenghts, where it becomes interesting. If you combine the lens shift and a software perspective correction, you can really get everything in with a 17mm.

-- hide signature --

Wald

OP Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

There you go giving me G.A.S.!

I figure already that this was worth the $700 investment.

I can do a lot more with it than I thought and I can probably sell it later on for at least $400 if I need/want to.

I'm also a bit uncertain about the 17mm FL since it really "pushes" back the background, but I like the cathedral photos I've seen taken with it.

I could see myself keeping both focal lengths.

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,567
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!
1

Corelli wrote:

There you go giving me G.A.S.!

I figure already that this was worth the $700 investment.

I can do a lot more with it than I thought and I can probably sell it later on for at least $400 if I need/want to.

I'm also a bit uncertain about the 17mm FL since it really "pushes" back the background, but I like the cathedral photos I've seen taken with it.

I could see myself keeping both focal lengths.

Cheers

Or you could get a used Canon 17mm TS-E and later sell it for the same price (about $1500 used)...

Here is an afternoon shoot with my 17mm TS-E from back then:

https://pbase.com/haak/canon_ef_tse_17mm

-- hide signature --

Wald

OP Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

I'm actually quite pleased with the 24mm length for now. I can make great horizontal and vertical panoramas with it that are quite wide without throwing the background too far back.

I've read very negative reviews of the first series of Canon Tilt shifts, so I wouldn't be inclined to buy one used. The second series is supposed to be much better.

I see from your nice photos that even 17mm isn't enough to capture those really tall buildings.

Did you ever do much landscape photography with it?

Here are some more photos I took this weekend:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63026782

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
Waldemar Senior Member • Posts: 1,567
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

Corelli wrote:

I'm actually quite pleased with the 24mm length for now. I can make great horizontal and vertical panoramas with it that are quite wide without throwing the background too far back.

I've read very negative reviews of the first series of Canon Tilt shifts, so I wouldn't be inclined to buy one used. The second series is supposed to be much better.

I see from your nice photos that even 17mm isn't enough to capture those really tall buildings.

Did you ever do much landscape photography with it?

Here are some more photos I took this weekend:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63026782

Cheers

For very tall building you´d have to combine the shift with perspective correction in post.

If you stitch, the TS-E 24mm II would be a great solution. I wouldn´t buy the first version, I deemed it soft and realistically it gives you only 8mm of shifting.

I didn´t shoot landscapes with the 17mm. I hardly shoot landscapes at all. I´ve sold the 17mm as I didn´t use it much. The thing is, that perfectly corrected buildings are more interesting for documentary style shots, often these shots look rather boring. If you make a living with that kind of photography, it´s different, of course.

-- hide signature --

Wald

DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,677
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

Corelli wrote:

I'm having me some fun with my new toy, a Samyang 24mm Tilt-shift lens.

I was very hesitant about buying it in light of some of the negative reviews, but so far I'm quite impressed. Yes it does have distortion, but it's not always evident and fairly easy to correct. Flare can also be a problem and I have a lens hood on the way, but sharpness is surprisingly good particularly when stopped down.

Here are a few of my first attempts using the shift function. Processed in LR, PS and AI Clear in Topaz Studio.

Zoom in to see the detail.

Feedback welcome:

2 Horizontals merged in PS

2 horizontals merged in PS (3 bracketed exposures for top and bottom merged in LR)

DXO Viewpoint is a more versatile option:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hgl2xxsJBGo#

Den

 DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
OP Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: First attempts using Tilt shift lens - Loving it!

I've tried different software solutions and particularly with architecture I wasn't really satisfied with the results. Landscapes don't seem as critical.

There are also other aspects of the tilt shift that I'm discovering aren't so easily replicated in software such as the first picture in the second thread I posted:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63026782

I was able to get much closer to the lamp in the upper right corner using the up-shift. I know I could do it with an even wider angle lens, but at the cost of pushing the background further away and having to crop a fair amount.

I'm still very much experimenting, but I really like it so far. I haven't even tried the tilt options yet.

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 286
Adapted shift lenses with A7Rii = Very happy
1

Great results. When family isn't with me, which is 85% of the time, I am only using A7Rii with Tamron 15-30 or Irix 11 only now. Our eyes do not see how the photos comes out with skewed perspective, so I don't want to take another photo of landscape, especially cityscape or architecture/historic building with 'normal' lenses now.

This is my setup and link I posted in DPR a while ago.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4382862

Tamron 15-30, which is about 21-45mm with Laowa MSC shift adapter for Nikon Lenses

11mm Irix is about 16mm FOV.

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +67 more
OP Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: Adapted shift lenses with A7Rii = Very happy

That is very intriguing. I didn't realize that was possible with other lenses using the MSC, particularly zooms. I looked at your thread. Very nice examples.

I'm going to keep the Samyang since I think I'll be able to make some use of the tilt function, but I will keep your setup in mind.

I still don't understand why Laowa doesn't make the MSC for Sony lenses. Does it have something to do with the spacing?

Thanks for posting that!

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 286
Re: Adapted shift lenses with A7Rii = Very happy

Corelli wrote:

That is very intriguing. I didn't realize that was possible with other lenses using the MSC, particularly zooms. I looked at your thread. Very nice examples.

I'm going to keep the Samyang since I think I'll be able to make some use of the tilt function, but I will keep your setup in mind.

I still don't understand why Laowa doesn't make the MSC for Sony lenses. Does it have something to do with the spacing?

Thanks for posting that!

Cheers

Thanks. I have more examples here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4384670

I was thinking that so many Nikon lenses wasted after switching to mostly Sony, but this setup has saved some very sharp Nikon fit wide angle lenses, which include Samyang 14mm as well. Tried with more standard zoom lenses but the shift setup is not  'spectacular' when compared to wide angles focal lengths. I have 28mm and 35mm PC lenses also but it's not that good in my tests.

Best of luck and enjoy. I had visited Pisa and Florence couple of month back and this setup was just perfect. Maybe with A7R iv and 61MPs will be fantastic...but kind of wasting AF technology and other goodness, just to use it manually!!

 Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +67 more
OP Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,659
Re: Adapted shift lenses with A7Rii = Very happy
1

Italy is a dream for this type of lens. There are so many opportunities to use it. I'm looking forward to my next trip there too!

Grreat photos from Rome.

Enjoy your trip

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads