Daido Moriyama - How I Take Photographs

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Park Avenue Airwolf Regular Member • Posts: 290
Re: Daido Moriyama - How I Take Photographs

Ants Mani wrote:

A interesting forum has a sense of community sadly there is none here thus it becomes a platform of conflict. Who should shoulder the blame ....easy everyone who posts here

I’ve  worked hard to counter this but it’s fallen largely on deaf ears.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 219

Park Avenue Airwolf wrote:

Ants Mani wrote:

A interesting forum has a sense of community sadly there is none here thus it becomes a platform of conflict. Who should shoulder the blame ....easy everyone who posts here

I’ve worked hard to counter this but it’s fallen largely on deaf ears.

Probably because it is so camera centric maybe an emphasis on the 28mm shooting aspect would  create better cohesion as it is  concentrates on a more singular aspect

telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,425

Old Ricoh User wrote:

I figure there might still be some Moriyama fans out there even though he switched to Nikon several years ago.
This arrogant review is what's wrong with the internet in general. You have this schmuck who apparently knows nothing about Moriyama, his books, his methods or even street photography.
I encourage you to leave a comment under his article so complete BS pieces like this are no longer published. Opinion is one thing but lack of accuracy and facts is something completely different. Photography has taken it on the chin these past 8 years and it's time to right the ship.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/08/20/book-review-daido-moriyama-how-i-take-photographs/

Love him & saw him at the Tate Modern. But I don't care about any "school". Just invent your own style. If you are not up to it, you are not of any interest....

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm XF10 +5 more
rube39 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,319

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Tungsten Nordstein who seems to have too many hours at the pub today.

Can't hardly ever spend too many hours at the pub!!!

-- hide signature --

Rube

sae1lin2aug3
sae1lin2aug3 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

I been a fan of his work when it was published in the Japanese magazine "Provoke." many years ago.

View him as:

“A painter has only one language.” And for Picasso and many other artists, that language is visual.

-- hide signature --

"Think Different." S. J.

MikePennPhoto
OP MikePennPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,301

sae1lin2aug3 wrote:

I been a fan of his work when it was published in the Japanese magazine "Provoke." many years ago.

View him as:

“A painter has only one language.” And for Picasso and many other artists, that language is visual.

That was 50 years ago but the vast majority of photography patrons knew nothing about him until the early 21st century. His 1999 exhibition at SFMoMa was poorly attended even though it was featured in Art in America.

sae1lin2aug3

True, but his mind's eye and was and still beyound some of our  DPW members'.

-- hide signature --

"Think Different." S. J.

MikePennPhoto

sae1lin2aug3 wrote:

True, but his mind's eye and was and still beyound some of our DPW members'.

Couldn't agree more

lmans100
lmans100 Regular Member • Posts: 300
not perfection is what is needed

Gary Martin wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Ants Mani wrote:

Old Ricoh User give the anger/disappointment game away it serves little purpose

As for the article well its just someone who’s preconceived idea of Daido Moriyama didn’t come up to expectations.

As for the site well its a part of a money making concern and not much of a resource for matters photographic

It was also his attitude towards photography, book publishing, and time.

There is no where good to turn to for "matters photographic" anymore. It's all become crap.

I wouldn't go that far, I enjoy Lenscratch, Conscientious Photography Magazine, American Suburb X, and Landscape Stories quite a bit. Lots of good work on those sites, IMO.

The problem with those publications in my thinking is that the photo's are too perfect... If a photo isn't perfect anymore in 'all respects', people bash it. So that leads to too much time concentrating on the post photo and not enough time enjoying and appreciating the actually photography aspect.

my thoughts

-- hide signature --
Re: not perfection is what is needed

lmans100 wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Ants Mani wrote:

As for the article well its just someone who’s preconceived idea of Daido Moriyama didn’t come up to expectations.

As for the site well its a part of a money making concern and not much of a resource for matters photographic

There is no where good to turn to for "matters photographic" anymore. It's all become crap.

I wouldn't go that far, I enjoy Lenscratch, Conscientious Photography Magazine, American Suburb X, and Landscape Stories quite a bit. Lots of good work on those sites, IMO.

The problem with those publications in my thinking is that the photo's are too perfect... If a photo isn't perfect anymore in 'all respects', people bash it. So that leads to too much time concentrating on the post photo and not enough time enjoying and appreciating the actually photography aspect.

my thoughts

I'm not familiar with many of these journals, however Conscientious Photography didn't strike me as you describe. One antidote is to just launch one's own photo journal. I'm thinking about it.

MikePennPhoto

Park Avenue Airwolf wrote:

lmans100 wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Ants Mani wrote:

my thoughts

One antidote is to just launch one's own photo journal. I'm thinking about it.

DO IT !!!!

Ants Mani wrote:

https://www.burnmagazine.org

Thanks Ants this is a good one.

Though the glory days of this site are gone it was very active but it does go and show hat it is hard for an individual to keep things rolling for an extended period. Once David lapsed in his posting  responses to essays have dwindled, still there are some gems posted from time to time.

It would probably take a dozen new posters willing to post comments regularly to revive that part of the site

sae1lin2aug3

lmans100 wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Ants Mani wrote:

my thoughts

My100% thoughs too.

-- hide signature --

"Think Different." S. J.

sae1lin2aug3

Furthermore, how many OP's here, visted a photo gallery show lately or purchased a a book on photpgraphy. that provokes a viewer.

I'm taking about the Kodak Moment, diffent from HCB  and oppsite of Moriyama.

-- hide signature --

"Think Different." S. J.

sae1lin2aug3 wrote:

Furthermore, how many OP's here, visted a photo gallery show lately or purchased a a book on photpgraphy. that provokes a viewer.

I'm taking about the Kodak Moment, diffent from HCB and oppsite of Moriyama.

I’ve bought two photo books at the McNally book shop on Spring Street in SoHo. One is called Failed Images and is about avoiding the dominant approach, which would probably make a lot of heads explode around here, the other is a collection of works by a European journal and school of photographic artists.

Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Senior Member • Posts: 1,889

Ants Mani wrote:

https://www.burnmagazine.org

Excellent set of articles. Thank-you

-- hide signature --

'I don't take photographs, I delete them.'
Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +6 more
Tungsten Nordstein

sae1lin2aug3 wrote:

I'm taking about the Kodak Moment, diffent from HCB and oppsite of Moriyama.

Books

Book of Shadows

- snapshots that feature the shadow

Suspending Time: Life Photography Death

- vernacular photography (momento mori)

Pandora's Box ed. Jan Dibbets

- Jan Dibbets alternative history of (non art) photography.

Exhibitions

Tilmans at Tate Modern

- Not a fan of his work.

Thomas Ruff Whitechapel

- Excellent show of one artist's new approach to the medium

Shape Of Light at Tate

- overview of alernative approaches to the photographic medium

Elton John collection of classic modernist photography at Tate

William Burroughs snapshots in group show at Photographers Gallery were interesting.

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +6 more
Tungsten Nordstein

lmans100 wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Ants Mani wrote:

my thoughts

I agree. But sometimes I think also that imperfection or - in my case a disinterest in perfection - leads people to criticise (or dwell on) the imperfections rather than look at the photograph.

But in either case it depends on the viewer and how they choose to look.

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, 2909

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads