Daido Moriyama - How I Take Photographs

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Old Ricoh User
Old Ricoh User Senior Member • Posts: 1,022
Daido Moriyama - How I Take Photographs

I figure there might still be some Moriyama fans out there even though he switched to Nikon several years ago.
This arrogant review is what's wrong with the internet in general. You have this schmuck who apparently knows nothing about Moriyama, his books, his methods or even street photography.
I encourage you to leave a comment under his article so complete BS pieces like this are no longer published. Opinion is one thing but lack of accuracy and facts is something completely different. Photography has taken it on the chin these past 8 years and it's time to right the ship.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/08/20/book-review-daido-moriyama-how-i-take-photographs/

2ndact scene1 Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: Daido Moriyama - How I Take Photographs

The linked article looked OK to me. If you have a different opinion that is fine,  but you should be the one leaving a comment after the article.  You could also review the review here on this site and express your opinion but I think this post goes over the edge.

2ndact scene1's gear list:2ndact scene1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
Old Ricoh User
OP Old Ricoh User Senior Member • Posts: 1,022

2ndact scene1 wrote:

The linked article looked OK to me. If you have a different opinion that is fine, but you should be the one leaving a comment after the article. You could also review the review here on this site and express your opinion but I think this post goes over the edge.

There is a difference between opinion and fact. If you don't know the facts you can't form a logical opinion. Also, I did leave a comment and if you think this post "goes over the edge" maybe the internet isn't for or you could just not read it if you have your comfort level set so low.

Well this post is certainly not doing anything to make me change my opinion.

Old Ricoh User wrote:

2ndact scene1 wrote:

The linked article looked OK to me. If you have a different opinion that is fine, but you should be the one leaving a comment after the article. You could also review the review here on this site and express your opinion but I think this post goes over the edge.

There is a difference between opinion and fact. If you don't know the facts you can't form a logical opinion. Also, I did leave a comment and if you think this post "goes over the edge" maybe the internet isn't for or you could just not read it if you have your comfort level set so low.

Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
Old Ricoh User

2ndact scene1 wrote:

Well this post is certainly not doing anything to make me change my opinion.

Old Ricoh User wrote:

2ndact scene1 wrote:

I'm not trying to change your opinion because I'm betting your knowledge of Moriyama is nil or whatever you can Google.

Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,525

On the contrary, leaving comments just encourages click-bait articles. No clicks from me, sorry. Daido Moriyama's legacy is secure, and will be remembered long after the review author is forgotten.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +10 more
Park Avenue Airwolf Regular Member • Posts: 287

Not everyone here knows a lot of facts about Daido, I don't claim to. So why not give us a summary of what you found to be inaccurate?

Old Ricoh User

Gary Martin wrote:

On the contrary, leaving comments just encourages click-bait articles. No clicks from me, sorry. Daido Moriyama's legacy is secure, and will be remembered long after the review author is forgotten.

Correct

Old Ricoh User

Park Avenue Airwolf wrote:

Not everyone here knows a lot of facts about Daido, I don't claim to. So why not give us a summary of what you found to be inaccurate?

I mentioned most of what he got wrong in my reply under his article.

Retzius
Retzius Contributing Member • Posts: 846

Old Ricoh User wrote:

I figure there might still be some Moriyama fans out there even though he switched to Nikon several years ago.
This arrogant review is what's wrong with the internet in general. You have this schmuck who apparently knows nothing about Moriyama, his books, his methods or even street photography.
I encourage you to leave a comment under his article so complete BS pieces like this are no longer published. Opinion is one thing but lack of accuracy and facts is something completely different. Photography has taken it on the chin these past 8 years and it's time to right the ship.

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2019/08/20/book-review-daido-moriyama-how-i-take-photographs/

decaf bro

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Ricoh GR III Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +7 more
Old Ricoh User

Retzius wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

decaf bro

That was constructive

Ants Mani
Ants Mani Regular Member • Posts: 212

Old Ricoh User give the anger/disappointment game away it serves little purpose

As for the article well its just someone who’s preconceived idea of Daido Moriyama didn’t come up to expectations.

As for the site well its a part of a money making concern and a bit sketchy as a resource

Old Ricoh User

Ants Mani wrote:

As for the article well its just someone who’s preconceived idea of Daido Moriyama didn’t come up to expectations.

As for the site well its a part of a money making concern and not much of a resource for matters photographic

It was also his attitude towards photography, book publishing, and time.

There is no where good to turn to for "matters photographic" anymore. It's all become crap.

illd3fined Regular Member • Posts: 456

Old Ricoh User wrote:

There is no where good to turn to for "matters photographic" anymore. It's all become crap.

quote honestly why bother then? you certainly won’t find it here

illd3fined's gear list:illd3fined's gear list
Sony RX100 II Ricoh GR III Apple iPhone XS
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,525

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Ants Mani wrote:

As for the site well its a part of a money making concern and not much of a resource for matters photographic

I wouldn't go that far, I enjoy Lenscratch, Conscientious Photography Magazine, American Suburb X, and Landscape Stories quite a bit. Lots of good work on those sites, IMO.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +10 more
Old Ricoh User

Gary Martin wrote:

Old Ricoh User wrote:

Ants Mani wrote:

I wouldn't go that far, I enjoy Lenscratch, Conscientious Photography Magazine, American Suburb X, and Landscape Stories quite a bit. Lots of good work on those sites, IMO.

I think I'm done looking all together, much like my lack of presence on social media, Over the last year and a half I've greatly pulled back on the internet.

Maybe the internet is not for you if your comfort level is so low.

Old Ricoh User

2ndact scene1 wrote:

Maybe the internet is not for you if your comfort level is so low.

You have no clue or originality so consider yourself on ignore.

thelps
thelps Regular Member • Posts: 492

Diado has a very expansive work. Some of it is rare. I had opportunity to examine some of his rare work when at Ricoh Ring Cube in Ginza. They have an extensive library of photography and quite some pieces of works on the walls. While looking though Diado I found some images underwhelming then you hit gold, its a mix and IMO should be. Some will find the images I found underwhelming to be their gold. Such is his work. We all glean our own take from any image.

To me I feel the OP issue is the bad review on the book reflects on Diados work. The reviewer of this book does not appear to understand Diado's style. The review only made me want to buy the book to check it out for myself.

-- hide signature --

DPReview Quote: Ricoh GR III shooting experience: "Shut up and take my money"

thelps's gear list:thelps's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR
Old Ricoh User

thelps wrote:

Diado has a very expansive work. Some of it is rare. I had opportunity to examine some of his rare work when at Ricoh Ring Cube in Ginza. They have an extensive library of photography and quite some pieces of works on the walls. While looking though Diado I found some images underwhelming then you hit gold, its a mix and IMO should be. Some will find the images I found underwhelming to be their gold. Such is his work.

To me I feel the OP issue is the bad review on the book reflects on Diados work. The books reviewer does not appear to understand or respect the photographic mentors or style of the past. The review only made me want to buy the book to check it out for myself.

It's also his lack of understanding about just about everything. He didn't have a clue that this book was originally published in 2010 when Moriyama began his transition from film to digital. It is not a how to book and it could easily be another chapter in his book Memories of a Dog.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads