Do Fujinon XF F1.2 and F1.4 prime lenses need a 'revamp'?

Started 2 months ago | Polls
lélé Regular Member • Posts: 437
Do Fujinon XF F1.2 and F1.4 prime lenses need a 'revamp'?

Hello!

Fujifilm provided us with 'fast' prime lenses in the early life of the Fujifilm X system:

• Fujinon XF 16mmF1.4 R WR
  • Fujinon XF 23mmF1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 35mmF1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R (APD)

Lenses with sometimes quite unique specifications.

Since, Fujifilm has made gigantic progress regarding his bodies, in particular regarding autofocus, continuous autofocus, video features (who would have guessed Fujifilm would provide a video powerhouse like the X-T3 just a few years ago?).

Fujifilm also has to fight against a strong competition, with Sony, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon which all going for FF mirrorless.

Even if I love my Fujinon primes lenses, I think some of them scream for a 'revamp'. In particular the XF 56mmF1.2 R whose optical quality is good but not great (bokeh is not very nice at the widest apertures) and it's AF motorization not suited for continuous AF, or the XF35mmF1.4 R which has a very nice rendering full open but may be better corrected and suffers from the same outdated AF motorization.

Also, with video comes new requirements like the absence of focus breathing and more discret motor noise.

What do you think?

Do you think Fujifilm needs to refresh the XF F1.2 and F1.4 lenses?

Thanks for your opinion.

Fred

lélé's gear list:lélé's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7 III Nikon D300 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +11 more
POLL
Yes, autofocus AND optics.
26.4% 19  votes
Yes, but autofocus only.
33.3% 24  votes
No.
40.3% 29  votes
  Show results
dual12 Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: Do Fujinon XF F1.2 and F1.4 prime lenses need a 'revamp'?

No.

dual12's gear list:dual12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
vegetaleb
vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 1,319

My 1 year old xf 16 f1.4 is a delicious lens, AF is fast enough, I never had to complain about it. If it was a bit lighter and smaller I wouldn't be against but I doubt Fuji will do it soon as the f2.8 is pretty new.

The one lens that need revamp is the xf 18mm f2, they should forget about pancake size and make the mk2 much better in terms of sharpness corner to corner.

I think 18mm is the sweet spot for me, 23mm is too narrow and 16mm too wide for me lol

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
ms18
ms18 Senior Member • Posts: 2,755
Minimum focusing distance and Autofocus. (NT)
-- hide signature --

If you like my pictures follow me on Insta
https://www.instagram.com/mahidoes/

ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 5,402

lélé wrote:

Even if I love my Fujinon primes lenses, I think some of them scream for a 'revamp'. In particular the XF 56mmF1.2 R whose optical quality is good but not great (bokeh is not very nice at the widest apertures) and it's AF motorization not suited for continuous AF, or the XF35mmF1.4 R which has a very nice rendering full open but may be better corrected and suffers from the same outdated AF motorization.

It is not the lens' fault... concentrate on photography, not lenses.

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R II +8 more
Victoria Marshall Regular Member • Posts: 433

lélé wrote:

Hello!

Fujifilm provided us with 'fast' prime lenses in the early life of the Fujifilm X system:

• Fujinon XF 23mmF1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 35mmF1.4 R

Since, Fujifilm has made gigantic progress regarding his bodies, in particular regarding autofocus, continuous autofocus, video features (who would have guessed Fujifilm would provide a video powerhouse like the X-T3 just a few years ago?).

Fujifilm also has to fight against a strong competition, with Sony, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon which all going for FF mirrorless.

Also, with video comes new requirements like the absence of focus breathing and more discret motor noise.

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinion.

Fred

No. I'm sorry, but if you bought the 56 1.2 for continuous, or even 'competitive' autofocus speeds, then you bought the wrong lens. It's a niche lens designed for portraiture.

That's why I bought the 50 f2. Much more versatile.

My 16 f1.4 is still as awesome to me as the day I bought it. It's better wide open than any Nikkor I've owned in the past, and autofocus is plenty zippy for me.

Victoria Marshall's gear list:Victoria Marshall's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
decaf14 Regular Member • Posts: 201

My thoughts: large aperture lens design is very tough. The 35mm 1.4 and 56mm are excellent for what they are. We cannot expect sharpness at the largest aperture. It's a sacrifice in optics to even get the aperture that large.

I think the 35 focuses well. I've used it for action shots on the xt3 and the images are sharp. I would welcome an autofocus change though, as it Is still loud. This isn't a huge deal in my mind though.

It's a tough sell for fuji to release the same lens in a beefed up more modern package, but i think we, the user base, would appreciate it.

I would love to see as mk ii series of the original large aperture lenses with weather sealing in particular. These are professional quality lenses that should be well protected.

decaf14's gear list:decaf14's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
Nas from the Valley Regular Member • Posts: 112

Victoria Marshall wrote:

lélé wrote:

Hello!

• Fujinon XF 23mmF1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 35mmF1.4 R

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinion.

Fred

No. I'm sorry, but if you bought the 56 1.2 for continuous, or even 'competitive' autofocus speeds, then you bought the wrong lens. It's a niche lens designed for portraiture.

My 16 f1.4 is still as awesome to me as the day I bought it. It's better wide open than any Nikkor I've owned in the past, and autofocus is plenty zippy for me.

So if it is portrait lens it should be slow??? Are you serious lol

Of course all these 1.4 lenses need just a faster motor inside that's it and I'm sure it is easy for Fuji to make them but I guess they are focused more on bodies now.

For example E mount (APS-C) Sigmas are way faster. Fuji needs to stay competitive!

decaf14 Regular Member • Posts: 201

Just curious: have you used these e mount lenses before? Bokeh monsters are generally notorious for being slower because you have to move a lot of glass around.

I think the focus on the 35 is decent, but on the 60mm it is too slow. Never used the 56. Just my thoughts.

decaf14's gear list:decaf14's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
OfDaniel
OfDaniel Regular Member • Posts: 111

Absolutely not. Why on earth Fuji remake a lens 3-5 years after release? Silly talk

OP lélé Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Minimum focusing distance and Autofocus. (NT)

ms18 wrote:

Minimum focus distance for which lens?

Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7 III Nikon D300 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +11 more

Nas from the Valley wrote:

Victoria Marshall wrote:

lélé wrote:

Hello!

• Fujinon XF 23mmF1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 35mmF1.4 R

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinion.

Fred

Of course all these 1.4 lenses need just a faster motor inside that's it and I'm sure it is easy for Fuji to make them but I guess they are focused more on bodies now.

For example E mount (APS-C) Sigmas are way faster. Fuji needs to stay competitive!

Does Fuji compete with Sigma?

I’m not aware of any sigma lenses made for Fuji.

A_Mist Regular Member • Posts: 216

No. I do not know how to make 16/1.4 any better; it has fast AF, handy MF clutch, it's almost macro and IQ is beyond excellent. Well the plastic lens hood is rubbish, JJC rectangular metal lens hood is absolutely needed.

What I would like to see is pro level WR pancake lenses.

John Gellings wrote:

lélé wrote:

1. This is a gear sub-forum.

2. This is not the photographer's fault if the out-of-focus discs of the Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R looks like this:

(Source: OpticalLimits)

That's rather good, but the outlining effect at 'larges' apertures can be distracting IMO. Especially with such la ens for which a silky smooth bokeh might be a major buying point.

Some 85mm f/1.8 full frame lenses perform better in this regard, for similar price and weight. Do not be mistaken, I do think that it is quite an achievement that Fujifilm was able to design and produce a 'true' 85mm f/1.8 equivalent for an APS-C sensor. Kudos to them for that!

Of course, as a photographer:

• The bokeh won't make a good (or bad) image.
  • I can stop down a bit to reduce the outlining effect.
  • I can be more picky about the background and avoid bright highlights.
  • I can just live with that (and that's OK ).
  • I could buy the APD version, but apparently (I do have the non-APD version so I can only rely on reviews and user opinions here) it inherits some of the non-APD outlining effects...cost more and has specific drawbacks.

That said, I would consider an improvement to have more even out-of-focus discs.

3. Have you ever compared the continuous autofocus performances of the Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R to a more 'modern' lens? (Including the ones from Fujifilm.) It's not exactly brillant...

lélé wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

lélé wrote:

2. This is not the photographer's fault if the out-of-focus discs of the Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R looks like this:

That's rather good, but the outlining effect at 'larges' apertures can be distracting IMO. Especially with such la ens for which a silky smooth bokeh might be a major buying point.

Some 85mm f/1.8 full frame lenses perform better in this regard, for similar price and weight. Do not be mistaken, I do think that it is quite an achievement that Fujifilm was able to design and produce a 'true' 85mm f/1.8 equivalent for an APS-C sensor. Kudos to them for that!

• I could buy the APD version, but apparently (I do have the non-APD version so I can only rely on reviews and user opinions here) it inherits some of the non-APD outlining effects...cost more and has specific drawbacks.

That said, I would consider an improvement to have more even out-of-focus discs.

3. Have you ever compared the continuous autofocus performances of the Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R to a more 'modern' lens? (Including the ones from Fujifilm.) It's not exactly brillant...

Who is your audience? Who do you thInk is looking at minute details in the bokeh and not the subject of the photo? I would think only other pixel peepers would care.  People do not go to museums and galleries to look at bokeh.

what are you photographing with this specialized lens that you require fast tracking? Perhaps there is a better alternative? Have you ever tried the Canon 85mm 1.2? Fast lenses like this have a lot of glass to move.

dual12 Contributing Member • Posts: 963

Virtually no one wants Sigma. I once made the mistake of buying a premium Sigma zoom for my Nikon. The lens was good, not great. I could barely give that lens away for pennies on the dollar when I left Nikon...and it took nearly a year to sell it. Never, ever, ever again.

dual12's gear list:dual12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more

Victoria Marshall wrote:

lélé wrote:

Hello!

• Fujinon XF 23mmF1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 35mmF1.4 R

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinion.

Fred

I agree that the Fujinon XF 50mmF2 R WR may be a more versatile lens thanks to its better autofocus performances.

That said, I'm not sure it is only due to its smaller aperture. I think it may also be due to the fact it's a more recent lens, designed with other requirements in mind. It is very likely the Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R was designed in a time when Fujifilm's X-T3 impressive specifications were probably not even a Fujifilm's engineer dream. ;;)

-- hide signature --

I would not call the Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R lens 'a niche lens'. It's 85mm f/1.8 full frame equivalent and I'm pretty sure this is no coincidence! 85mm f1/8 are popular lenses, not 'niche lenses'.

IMO 'a niche lens' would have been a 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.2 equivalent, with a several thousands euros price and a weight around the kilogram.

It is an impressive achievement that Fujifilm managed to design and produce a 'true' 85mm f/1.8 equivalent for APS-C format, with an outstanding f/1.2 aperture !

And I do agree that this is a lens mainly aimed at portraiture.

But I also think that:

• You can use a 85mm f/1.8 (or equivalent here) for much more than portraiture. this is as  a short telephoto with fast aperture that can be used for many other things (not apprehensive animals, some indoor sport, etc.).
  • Modern cameras likes the X-T3 or the A7III bring reliable continuous autofocus and eye AF. You may like or not this feature, but it opens the possibility to do portraits of moving subjects. Something that would be extremely difficult (and, IMO, often more a matter of luck than skill) without this features. But to be able to benefit from that, you need a lens with fast AF!

John Gellings wrote:

lélé wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

lélé wrote:

That's rather good, but the outlining effect at 'larges' apertures can be distracting IMO. Especially with such la ens for which a silky smooth bokeh might be a major buying point.

Who is your audience? Who do you thInk is looking at minute details in the bokeh and not the subject of the photo? I would think only other pixel peepers would care. People do not go to museums and galleries to look at bokeh.

I agree on that point.

The most important thing will always be the photograph (and the subject), not the technical  aspects.

But that does not mean these technical aspects are insignificant. Should it be the case, we would all be shooting with or smartphone or cheap lenses.

There is probably a good 'in-between', that depends on each photographers budget and requirements.

what are you photographing with this specialized lens that you require fast tracking? Perhaps there is a better alternative? Have you ever tried the Canon 85mm 1.2? Fast lenses like this have a lot of glass to move.

I think the comparison with the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L is not appropriate. The Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R is not a 85mm f/1.2 full frame equivalent; it's a 85mm f/1.8 full frame equivalent.

The iris diameter of the Fujinon is about the same as a 85mm f/1.8. It has much less glass to move than the Canon!

What kind of subjects?
The first ones would be my 5 an 6 years old children. I like 'posed portrait', but I also like to capture portraits when they are playing, running, laughing, moving their heads, etc. The combination of continuous autofocus and eye AF is phenomenal for that!
With the X-T3 and the XF 56mmF1.2 R I lost a lot of opportunities. I don't see myself buying the XF 50mmF2 WR just for that purpose (and I would probably miss a lot the extra aperture).
With the Sony A7III and the FE 85mm f/1.8 (which has to move the same amount of glass ), it works just well. Problem is that I like the Fujifilm ergonomics much better. And since I do not do photographs as professional, but for my own pleasure, this is something that I value a lot.

A refreshed XF 56mF1.2 R with LM motors (or some other snappier AF motors) would end the dilemma.

decaf14 wrote:

Just curious: have you used these e mount lenses before? Bokeh monsters are generally notorious for being slower because you have to move a lot of glass around.

I think the focus on the 35 is decent, but on the 60mm it is too slow. Never used the 56. Just my thoughts.

I do have a Sony A7 III and a Fujifilm X-T3 in parallel.

The Fujinon XF 56mmF1.2 R is a 85mm f/1.8 equivalent, I would call that 'a bokeh monster'. It does not have the same amount of glass to move than a full frame 85mm f/1.4 or 1.4. (Just look at the weight of these lenses!)

The Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 continuous autofocus (on the A7 III ) is way faster and more reliable than the XF 56mmF1.2 R (on the X-T3). I strongly suspect this is, as least partly, linked to the lens focusing mechanism. The Sony has two linear motors (like the ones you find in Fujinon LM lenses) as opposed to an old fashoned gear drive mechanism...

Same apply to the Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA who, despite being an older lens and not among the snappiest, beats the Fujinon XF 35mmF1.4 R in terms of autofocus speed. In terms of IQ, that's a mixed bag:  the Sony is much sharper, has a peculiar way to render the transition zone between in focus/out-of-focus which gives a lot of "pop", but can have a very nervous bokeh with a lot of onion rings and cat eyes. Both lens have very different rendering, despite being (almost) equivalent in terms of angle and DOF (for same framing and output size, wide open).

John Gellings wrote:

Nas from the Valley wrote:

Victoria Marshall wrote:

lélé wrote:

Hello!

• Fujinon XF 23mmF1.4 R
  • Fujinon XF 35mmF1.4 R

What do you think?

Thanks for your opinion.

Fred

Does Fuji compete with Sigma?

I’m not aware of any sigma lenses made for Fuji.

Of course they do compete!

No photographer is married to a system.

(Should he/she be, he/she can divorce...but like in a real divorce the ex-spouse can rip him/her off! lol)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads