Pink spot in video footage (only in cold weather), sensor damage or not?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
tim21 Regular Member • Posts: 107
Pink spot in video footage (only in cold weather), sensor damage or not?

I have an EOS M5 and have noticed that there is a quite big pink dot in my video footage (right in the centre), only when the weather is cold it seems. I have done some timelapses with it but the sun was out of the shot for basically all of them, and they were done late in the after noon in winter, so I am having a hard time believing that the sun damaged the sensor.

Any other ideas what it could be? What could have caused it? The camera automatically cleans the sensor and I have used a blower on the sensor and the lens, and tried another lens, but the pink dot still reappears in cold weather. It doesn't seem to show when I take a photo though.

Any idea whether canon have warranty for that sort of malfunction? I guess they'd be reluctant to include that sort of thing in their warranties. It is quite a concern, as I have treated this camera like my baby, and still this happened. It's definitely not a dead pixel in the screen as I was hoping, as I have reviewed the footage on my computer.

I will take it into the store, but I don't like my chances of much help, hence asking you good honest folk here for your thoughts.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 13,845
Re: Pink spot in video footage (only in cold weather), sensor damage or not?

You need to show an example of the issue.

OP tim21 Regular Member • Posts: 107

that would be helpful I understand, but unfortunately I cannot figure out how to post pictures here.

I've been reading about a lot of Sonys have pink dots between the sensor and the sensor glass/IRcoating (whatever it is), so that is a possibility I guess

mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 56,074

tim21 wrote:

that would be helpful I understand, but unfortunately I cannot figure out how to post pictures here.

Use the "insert image" icon in the bar above. The icon looks like a framed picture of mountains.

I've been reading about a lot of Sonys have pink dots between the sensor and the sensor glass/IRcoating (whatever it is), so that is a possibility I guess

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 13,845

tim21 wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

You need to show an example of the issue.

You've been a member since 2013 and you've never posted an image? Better get on that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads