Is there S/W to show exact focus point (active square) in images?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Contributing Member • Posts: 887
Re: Try ApolloOne

a l b e r t wrote:

Len-O wrote:

I was tracking the fast moving subjects using a 3x3 zone.

Are you not able to see the green square in the above screenshots, placed where ApolloOne reported the AF point?

...or did you mean something else by "reported focus point"?

You can check the MakerNotes > Focus Pixel. You can do this by turning on the Inspector (command-I), click the page with magnifying glass, and type "focus" in the search box. Then click the expand triangle under MakerNotes.

For Fujifilm mirrorless cameras, only one Focus Pixel is stored. For DSLRs from Canon and Nikon, you get multiple focus points when you use zone focus.

I guess Fuji only store the focus pixel with the best focus when zone focus is on.

Yes - that was my point - as far as I know you can get the focus point and the size of the focus area (single point or zone) but I don’t think you can get the exact location of that area. The AppolloOne programmers may have just approximated.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30
a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,668

Greybeard2017 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Len-O wrote:

I was tracking the fast moving subjects using a 3x3 zone.

Are you not able to see the green square in the above screenshots, placed where ApolloOne reported the AF point?

...or did you mean something else by "reported focus point"?

You can check the MakerNotes > Focus Pixel. You can do this by turning on the Inspector (command-I), click the page with magnifying glass, and type "focus" in the search box. Then click the expand triangle under MakerNotes.

For Fujifilm mirrorless cameras, only one Focus Pixel is stored. For DSLRs from Canon and Nikon, you get multiple focus points when you use zone focus.

I guess Fuji only store the focus pixel with the best focus when zone focus is on.

Yes - that was my point - as far as I know you can get the focus point and the size of the focus area (single point or zone) but I don’t think you can get the exact location of that area. The AppolloOne programmers may have just approximated.

There is no information where the zone is located, only telling you it is a 3x3 zone, etc.

The AF point is not an approximation, it is the exact location as reported by the Focus Pixel, which is always the center point of the focus square.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +14 more
Greybeard2017

a l b e r t wrote:

There is no information where the zone is located, only telling you it is a 3x3 zone, etc.

The AF point is not an approximation, it is the exact location as reported by the Focus Pixel, which is always the center point of the focus square.

I think you are right - I had always assumed that the focus pixel reported was the actual point of focus - but, as you say if Single Point focus has been chosen its the centre of the square. With a large Single Point square this may not be where the camera has actually focussed. You really can't look at the focus pixel in isolation but must consider the AF Mode and size of focus square.

This is not the case with AF Mode of Zone where the focus pixel is not the centre of the zone but does appear to report the focus location.

It would be nice if FujiFilm documented their metadata.

OP Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,787
Re: This website will do it

Thanks Len-O. It seems to be just what I need but unfortunately, on looking at the link, it appears to be for the Apple OS & not for PCs. If I'm right that is a great pity but perhaps, they might have plans for PC - said he hopefully!

Anyway, thank you for taking the trouble to help again - it's not your fault I'm a slave of MS!

Phil

Thanks very much for your reply but sadly (for many reasons!) I use a PC.

Phil

stillman3 Contributing Member • Posts: 596
Re: Is there S/W to show exact focus point (active square) in images?

DIREXIF will do what you want. I use it a lot to display focus point and other EXIF data for Fuji files. Terrific program.

https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/direxif-directory-exif-and-thumbnail-display-for-fujifilm-images.45629/

Cheers Eric

Hi Eric

Many thanks! It works! However, I was wondering if you have  found a way of enlarging the image above that of the thumbnail sizes so that I can see exactly where the focus point is placed as it's difficult to see it's location precisely even on the the largest thumbnail. Nevertheless is is a very useful starting point.

Cheers

Phil

stillman3 Contributing Member • Posts: 596

Hi Phil,

Sorry, I was happy to find out that the focus point was somewhere near where I was aiming.

No precision for me. Still very useful to see where the focus point finishes up, mostly alright, but sometimes a shocker!!

Eric

Hi Eric

I agree absolutely that the S/W is very useful. I was surprised to find that the focus point seemed to be slightly off the intended point in a lot of shots, but that could be due to the heat of the moment.

When I get a moment, I'm going to do some testing using a tripod & test shot to look at the accuracy of the point shown by the software - or it could be the accuracy of the EVF focussing square in relation to the actual point focussed? I've often wondered about the latter!

As there are often complaints about mis-focussed shots, this S/W could be very helpful in casting more light on the situation.

Many thanks again

Phil

Greybeard2017

Phil1 wrote:

Hi Eric

I agree absolutely that the S/W is very useful. I was surprised to find that the focus point seemed to be slightly off the intended point in a lot of shots, but that could be due to the heat of the moment.

When I get a moment, I'm going to do some testing using a tripod & test shot to look at the accuracy of the point shown by the software - or it could be the accuracy of the EVF focussing square in relation to the actual point focussed? I've often wondered about the latter!

As there are often complaints about mis-focussed shots, this S/W could be very helpful in casting more light on the situation.

Many thanks again

Phil

As I mentioned above I believe the focus point is the centre of the focus square with Single Point focus - not necessarily where the camera actually focusses.

hankse Regular Member • Posts: 130

Phil1 wrote:

Hi Eric

Many thanks again

Phil

Easiest and quickest is to review the image in camera and press the rear command wheel. The display will zoom in on the focus point, instant feed back while you still eventually have a chance to correct it.

Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 673

hankse wrote:

Phil1 wrote:

Hi Eric

Many thanks again

Phil

Easiest and quickest is to review the image in camera and press the rear command wheel. The display will zoom in on the focus point, instant feed back while you still eventually have a chance to correct it.

This shows 100% view of the embedded jpg (if shooting raw). It is not full size, and imho not sufficient resolution to adequately check focus. I've been caught by this several times..thinking the image is sharp and in focus, only to download to my pc and find the focus off, or motion blur.

Clive

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more
El Vuelo del Escorpion
El Vuelo del Escorpion Contributing Member • Posts: 567

Clive99 wrote:

hankse wrote:

Phil1 wrote:

Hi Eric

Many thanks again

Phil

This shows 100% view of the embedded jpg (if shooting raw). It is not full size, and imho not sufficient resolution to adequately check focus. I've been caught by this several times..thinking the image is sharp and in focus, only to download to my pc and find the focus off, or motion blur.

Clive

If you shoot RAW+Jpeg Fine the preview is full res

El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list:El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
Clive99 Contributing Member • Posts: 673

El Vuelo del Escorpion wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

hankse wrote:

Phil1 wrote:

Hi Eric

Many thanks again

Phil

Clive

Interesting. Thanks. I was thinking of trying this.

Clive99's gear list:Clive99's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 +17 more
lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,550

Clive99 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

hankse wrote:

Clive

Which camera? I have the X-T2 and need to switch to Slot 2 to review the full-size JPG image - no biggie as I really only take pictures of things that aren't moving too much. The review of the RAF file in Slot 1 isn't full size. The magnifier only goes in so much...much less so than the JPG magnifier. Am I missing a revised setting or something? No camera was mentioned in the quoted posts above.

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Greybeard2017

lewiedude2 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

hankse wrote:

Clive

Which camera? I have the X-T2 and need to switch to Slot 2 to review the full-size JPG image - no biggie as I really only take pictures of things that aren't moving too much. The review of the RAF file in Slot 1 isn't full size. The magnifier only goes in so much...much less so than the JPG magnifier. Am I missing a revised setting or something? No camera was mentioned in the quoted posts above.

It’s easier when both raw and jpg are on the same card.

the newer cameras make things even easier by including a much larger preview jpg within the RAF file

lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,550

OK. I don't use the cards successively...I store the images with video and RAF in Slot 1 and JPG in Slot 2. My way of seeing what I need to see is fine with me.

But, quick question...is the embedded JPG (maybe it isn't embedded and that's why it works with the images on the same card) a full-size JPG? Just wondering.

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Greybeard2017

lewiedude2 wrote:

OK. I don't use the cards successively...I store the images with video and RAF in Slot 1 and JPG in Slot 2. My way of seeing what I need to see is fine with me.

But, quick question...is the embedded JPG (maybe it isn't embedded and that's why it works with the images on the same card) a full-size JPG? Just wondering.

When you playback the camera pairs up files (on the card you have selected) with the same name (not including the jpg or raf suffix) and defaults to showing the full size jpg from the jpg file.

If there is only a raf file without corresponding jpg then it shows the embedded preview.

On the X-T2 this is 1920x1080 and for the X-T3 it is 4416x2944.

El Vuelo del Escorpion
El Vuelo del Escorpion Contributing Member • Posts: 567

Greybeard2017 wrote:

lewiedude2 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

Clive99 wrote:

hankse wrote:

Clive

It’s easier when both raw and jpg are on the same card.

the newer cameras make things even easier by including a much larger preview jpg within the RAF file

Exactly. I use the X-T2 as well and I shoot RAW+JPEG in backup mode (all files in both cards)

El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list:El Vuelo del Escorpion's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads