Is there S/W to show exact focus point (active square) in images?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,786
Is there S/W to show exact focus point (active square) in images?

Like some (many?) folk on this forum I occasionally get an out of focus shot. It would be very helpful to be able to view my images with the exact active focus square superimposed on the photo . This would be very useful in deciding if any focus error was due to the user or the camera. Reading the posts here, I'm sure a lot of people would find this invaluable!

An internet search shows it is possible but the only software I found was limited to Canon & Nikon cameras.

Is there any such software which works with Fuji RAF files? I saw some suggestion that Silkypix might provide this facility. Could anyone with experience with Silkypix comment on this please?

Many thanks

Phil

Chris Sargent
Chris Sargent Senior Member • Posts: 1,162
Re: Is there S/W to show exact focus point (active square) in images?

Can't remember but maybe there is an option to display this during playback in camera.
Capture One can highlight the in-focus areas of an image but not sure this will support your post shot analysis requirement, it will simply show where there is sharp focus in the scene.

-- hide signature --
 Chris Sargent's gear list:Chris Sargent's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Greybeard2017
Greybeard2017 Contributing Member • Posts: 868

Phil1 wrote:

Like some (many?) folk on this forum I occasionally get an out of focus shot. It would be very helpful to be able to view my images with the exact active focus square superimposed on the photo . This would be very useful in deciding if any focus error was due to the user or the camera. Reading the posts here, I'm sure a lot of people would find this invaluable!

An internet search shows it is possible but the only software I found was limited to Canon & Nikon cameras.

Is there any such software which works with Fuji RAF files? I saw some suggestion that Silkypix might provide this facility. Could anyone with experience with Silkypix comment on this please?

Many thanks

Phil

Macro has written a java script that will overlay the preview image with the focus point

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56799825

Your other alternative is to write a script - I've used Image Magick to overlay both the focus point and the face/eye selections on a jpg image.

Greybeard2017's gear list:Greybeard2017's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30
OP Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,786
Re: Yes there is S/W to show exact focus point (active square) in images!

Thanks Greybeard2017. Having found it thanks to your tip it seems to work well but it is just a little limited as it only seems to show the focus point on thumbnails. Does your script show it on a full size image by any chance?

I'll have to try it on better shots as it seems to show better focus when the point is off the subject, but the conditions were very poor, with low lighting, and very low contrast and the S/W deserves a trial on decent images where I know exactly where the focus point is which means using a tripod & suitable lighting & test subjects. However, it's a very good start & with a bit of testing I'm  hoping it can be relied on.

Many thanks again

Phil

Len-O Contributing Member • Posts: 872

Phil1 wrote:

Yup! That one does a pretty good job for my old Nikons, unfortunately it does not support Fuji RAFs.

http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com

I have found this. Just follow the plugin install instructions in the included *Read me* there is a little editing to do to the LR plugin file name.

https://github.com/musselwhizzle/Focus-Points

Then you can get focus point results like this, just not as comprehensive as the other one:

Many thanks

Phil

Len-O's gear list:Len-O's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,062
This website will do it
 Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +12 more
Re: This website will do it

Morris0 wrote:

http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi

Morris

As comprehensive, and useful as Jeffrey Friedl's Exif Viewer is, it is slow if viewing multiple images, and due to the bandwidth limitations only JPEGs can be analyzed.

The Lightroom plugins will show focus points for RAW & JPEG without having to jump through the *reCAPTCHA* "I am not a robot" test for each image.

Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,062

Len-O wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi

Morris

As comprehensive, and useful as Jeffrey Friedl's Exif Viewer is, it is slow if viewing multiple images, and due to the bandwidth limitations only JPEGs can be analyzed.

The Lightroom plugins will show focus points for RAW & JPEG without having to jump through the *reCAPTCHA* "I am not a robot" test for each image.

How many images do you need to check. If there were a Photoshop plugin I'd use it.  That plugin is also Mac only and I'm a Windows user.  I'm not a fan of Lightroom and wish there were a simple app that did this.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +12 more
philt74 Junior Member • Posts: 44

If you’ve got a touchscreen model then double tap on the screen when previewing the image. This takes you to the focus point.

Cheers.

philt74's gear list:philt74's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
OP Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,786

Hi Len-O

Could you let me know which Lightroom plug-ins you are referring to please? Just to recap, I’m looking for S/W which will accurately superimpose the exact focus point – and preferably the size of focus square I used for that shot - on an image.

Many thanks

Phil

Greybeard2017

Phil1 wrote:

Hi Len-O

Could you let me know which Lightroom plug-ins you are referring to please? Just to recap, I’m looking for S/W which will accurately superimpose the exact focus point – and preferably the size of focus square I used for that shot - on an image.

Many thanks

Phil

Superimposing the focus square (both single point and zone) would be tricky.

The camera does appear to provide focus point and size of the focus square but not the location of the point within the square. (Note that the focus square size only seems to be available for the X-T3 and X-T30).

I'd be interested if anyone else has figured it out.

Phil1 wrote:

Hi Len-O

The Lightroom plugins I was referring to are:

1: *Show Focus Points* which is comprehensive, but unfortunately Nikon, & Canon only.

2: *Focus-Points* which will show the Fujifilm focus point, and if Face detect is used will show the Face detect square. It does not show size of FP, or zone, just the exact point on the image where focus lock was attained.

a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,668
Try ApolloOne

Yes there is. It is called ApolloOne and it is a Mac only image viewer. Press option-A to show AF points, and option-F to show detected faces.

You can cycle through AF points (for DSLRs) and multiple detected faces at 100% magnifications using the [ and ] shortcut keys.

It works for both RAF and JPEG files.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +14 more
Re: Try ApolloOne

a l b e r t wrote:

Yes there is. It is called ApolloOne and it is a Mac only image viewer. Press option-A to show AF points, and option-F to show detected faces.

You can cycle through AF points (for DSLRs) and multiple detected faces at 100% magnifications using the [ and ] shortcut keys.

Thanks for that info!

I just tried it and it is somewhat like *Preview* on steroids. For RAFs it doesn't show an actual AF point, but a fixed size, general area square which for most purposes will be good enough.

XT-3 + 100-400mm shot on ApolloOne viewer showing their version of AF point.

Len-O wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Thanks for that info!

I just tried it and it is somewhat like *Preview* on steroids. For RAFs it doesn't show an actual AF point, but a fixed size, general area square which for most purposes will be good enough.

Well, it is actually the same AF square you see in the camera, the AF point is simply the center of the square.  In fact, the square size changes depending on the AF square size you set on your X-camera.

Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +14 more
Greybeard2017

a l b e r t wrote:

Len-O wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Thanks for that info!

Well, it is actually the same AF square you see in the camera, the AF point is simply the center of the square. In fact, the square size changes depending on the AF square size you set on your X-camera.

Does the camera always focus on the centre of the square? What does it show with zone focus?

Greybeard2017 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Len-O wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Thanks for that info!

Well, it is actually the same AF square you see in the camera, the AF point is simply the center of the square. In fact, the square size changes depending on the AF square size you set on your X-camera.

Does the camera always focus on the centre of the square? What does it show with zone focus?

The above shot was 3x3 zone. here are two more 3x3 zone shots with tracking a little more off center.

3x3 zone off center

3x3 zone off center

Greybeard2017

Len-O wrote:

Greybeard2017 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Len-O wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Thanks for that info!

The above shot was 3x3 zone. here are two more 3x3 zone shots with tracking a little more off center.

3x3 zone off center

3x3 zone off center

Where was the reported focus point in those images?

Greybeard2017 wrote:

Len-O wrote:

Greybeard2017 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Len-O wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Thanks for that info!

3x3 zone off center

3x3 zone off center

Where was the reported focus point in those images?

I was tracking the fast moving subjects using a 3x3 zone.

Are you not able to see the green square in the above screenshots, placed where ApolloOne reported the AF point?

...or did you mean something else by "reported focus point"?

Len-O wrote:

I was tracking the fast moving subjects using a 3x3 zone.

Are you not able to see the green square in the above screenshots, placed where ApolloOne reported the AF point?

...or did you mean something else by "reported focus point"?

You can check the MakerNotes > Focus Pixel.  You can do this by turning on the Inspector (command-I), click the page with magnifying glass, and type "focus" in the search box.  Then click the expand triangle under MakerNotes.

For Fujifilm mirrorless cameras, only one Focus Pixel is stored.  For DSLRs from Canon and Nikon, you get multiple focus points when you use zone focus.

I guess Fuji only store the focus pixel with the best focus when zone focus is on.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads