90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
9VIII Contributing Member • Posts: 583
Re: 90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

IR1234 wrote:

RogerZoul wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

So specs don’t seem to show dual cards or dual DIGIC, so the 90D isnt any sort of 7D2/80D compromise. It’s just an updated 80D.

I’m a Canon fan, but I really think they made a mistake dumping the 7D range.

But at least Canon just saved me $1500 as I won’t be buying a 90D anytime soon.

Who said Canon dumped the 7D line? Can you show a link for such a statement?

You can't believe all of the rumors around. Save your money and wait for the 7D3 or for an announcement from Canon saying that it isn't coming. I would expect to spend a little more than $1500, though.

It’s been 5 years now. This should have been the point at which it was released, and....we got a reheated 80d instead, which was also way overdue. At this point, yeah, pretty disappointed Canon owner. Will they release a 7d3 next year? At this point, I doubt it.

The 2020 Tokyo olympics is one likely reason to delay a sports focused body by a year or so. Release in the spring and do a big marketing push in the summer, rather than releasing now and spending a lot of money advertising something a year old.

Until the Olympics have come and gone nothing is certain when it comes to release cycles with Japanese electronics makers.

9VIII's gear list:9VIII's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Fujifilm X-E2S Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +5 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,430

9VIII wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

RogerZoul wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

So specs don’t seem to show dual cards or dual DIGIC, so the 90D isnt any sort of 7D2/80D compromise. It’s just an updated 80D.

You can't believe all of the rumors around. Save your money and wait for the 7D3 or for an announcement from Canon saying that it isn't coming. I would expect to spend a little more than $1500, though.

It’s been 5 years now. This should have been the point at which it was released, and....we got a reheated 80d instead, which was also way overdue. At this point, yeah, pretty disappointed Canon owner. Will they release a 7d3 next year? At this point, I doubt it.

The 2020 Tokyo olympics is one likely reason to delay a sports focused body by a year or so. Release in the spring and do a big marketing push in the summer, rather than releasing now and spending a lot of money advertising something a year old.

Nikon has got it right - make a development announcement for the D6 (and a sports-focused lens) now, launch it much nearer to the Olympics. Any marketing response from Canon now runs the risk of looking like a "me too", but I don't doubt there will also be a 1DX2 successor in a similar time frame.

Whether there will be 7D2 and D500 successors is less clear, but my money is on a yes to both.

RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,385

Steve Balcombe wrote:

9VIII wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

RogerZoul wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Nikon has got it right - make a development announcement for the D6 (and a sports-focused lens) now, launch it much nearer to the Olympics. Any marketing response from Canon now runs the risk of looking like a "me too", but I don't doubt there will also be a 1DX2 successor in a similar time frame.

Whether there will be 7D2 and D500 successors is less clear, but my money is on a yes to both.

I just don't understand how being secretive about future camera releases makes any sense at all.  Of course, the actions of camera companies don't have to make sense to me, but it is still hard to fathom what they are thinking. If you are not going to say when, at least say if.....

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +33 more
EduPortas Regular Member • Posts: 458

OUGrad05 wrote:

flash551 wrote:

rumors about 7 mark iii not gone, could be very cool to have great eye focus and ecf

naturally with all the obvious specifications like two cards , double processor and so on

Two cards huge plus, 4k video...proper 4k video, eye AF...yes they need to do that. I won't wait another year. Something for me is happening likely between now and Christmas. If we hear nothing from Canon then I'll jump to Nikon or Sony or Panasonic.

You can jump ship but Canon will most probably lure you in back again. Look what happened with the just released EOS C500 Mark II. Serious filmmakers waited seven years for this new model. Arguably, it has everything you could absolutely need to film a proper movie (for a price, of course).

Did an original EOS C500 owner jump ship after buying that expensive piece of gear just to be seduced by Canon one more time?

It's not exactly Apples to Apples, but the point stands: Canon will make you wait until the company is absolutely sure it will release a good--probably expensive--product.

quokka Regular Member • Posts: 209

robbert100 wrote:

The future will tell if the 90D isn’t as capable as the 7DmkII for wildlife...

I agree.  It spread to me that the 90D is not as capable in some aspects, but more capable in others.  I think that resolution and AF are better with the 90D, ticking off key boxes for me.

quokka's gear list:quokka's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 3,010

quokka wrote:

robbert100 wrote:

I agree. It spread to me that the 90D is not as capable in some aspects, but more capable in others. I think that resolution and AF are better with the 90D, ticking off key boxes for me.

Compared to the 7DII... probably.

However, many 7DII users need an upgrade, are waiting for a better camera. The 7DII is good but has its flaws, especially when compared to competitors from other brands.

It makes sense for Canon to end some DSLR series because of the mirrorless revolution. It is not realistic to expect a 90D, 7DII, 5D5 and so on.

In that case 7D and 80D become the 90D. Possibly, the 5D and 5Ds series will transform into a full-frame sports camera with a high-density sensor.

The downside, a more expensive successor of the 7DII, the good thing is that you don't need an extra body for wide-angle (for instance landscape) photography.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,306

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

The downside, a more expensive successor of the 7DII, the good thing is that you don't need an extra body for wide-angle (for instance landscape) photography.

The problem is, there might not be enough people in the market who realize that a ~32.5MP Canon APS-C DSLR with better-than-1DxII AF is useful, and are willing to pay big bucks for it.  The masses are hypnotized by pixel level view sharpness and noise, or the noise of normalized images at the same ISO, which often has no practical meaning.

I'd pay big bucks in a heartbeat for such a camera, especially if read noise at the pixel level was like the 20MP m43 sensors, or close to it.

I could buy an E-M1x and use an adapter, but mirrorless and translated AF protocols are not what I am looking for right now in a bird camera.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,306

John Sheehy wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

The problem is, there might not be enough people in the market who realize that a ~32.5MP Canon APS-C DSLR with better-than-1DxII AF is useful, and are willing to pay big bucks for it. The masses are hypnotized by pixel level view sharpness and noise, or the noise of normalized images at the same ISO, which often has no practical meaning.

I'd pay big bucks in a heartbeat for such a camera, especially if read noise at the pixel level was like the 20MP m43 sensors, or close to it.

I could buy an E-M1x and use an adapter, but mirrorless and translated AF protocols are not what I am looking for right now in a bird camera.

Sorry, I had the wrong numbers in mind for the 20MP m43 read noise when I implied that it had a lot less than the 90D.

Messier Object
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,500

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

quokka wrote:

robbert100 wrote:

I agree. It spread to me that the 90D is not as capable in some aspects, but more capable in others. I think that resolution and AF are better with the 90D, ticking off key boxes for me.

Compared to the 7DII... probably.

However, many 7DII users need an upgrade, are waiting for a better camera. The 7DII is good but has its flaws, especially when compared to competitors from other brands.

It makes sense for Canon to end some DSLR series because of the mirrorless revolution. It is not realistic to expect a 90D, 7DII, 5D5 and so on.

In that case 7D and 80D become the 90D. Possibly, the 5D and 5Ds series will transform into a full-frame sports camera with a high-density sensor.

The high density sensor would certainly allow post process cropping to APS-C size with ~30Mp, in-camera however the viewfinder will show the wide FF angle of view which won’t be good for those of us used to a 1.6x crop view.

So IMO Canon would need to implement a ‘Crop Mode’ whereby we can select a crop factor that will be applied to the viewfinder in live view and applied to the raw file as captured.

peter

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,384

RogerZoul wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

9VIII wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

RogerZoul wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

I just don't understand how being secretive about future camera releases makes any sense at all. Of course, the actions of camera companies don't have to make sense to me, but it is still hard to fathom what they are thinking. If you are not going to say when, at least say if.....

Two guesses:

1. Announcing a future model causes sales of existing inventory to tank. Actually, this is a well-informed guess, as that seems to be true in many markets, not just cameras.

2. Releasing a 7D III shortly before a 1D X III might prompt sports shooters to buy a 7D III, and then not quite be able to afford to buy a 1D X III, or, perhaps, just decide to “settle for” a 7D III, pre-cannibalizing 1D-series sales.

Releasing the D5 and D500 together, and the D3 and D300 together, seemed to work well for Nikon.

Canon released the 7D II at a time in-between the 1D X and 1D X II, not too close to either of its bigger brothers.

In my case, of course, not being a likely candidate for buying a new 1D-series camera, I am very much hoping for a 7D III. I can probably afford a 1D X III, if I make it a budgetary priority, but prefer 7D-/5D-series camera bodies. (I have bought 1D II N and 1Ds III cameras, but pre-owned, well after discontinuation.)

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +51 more
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,020

I have another guess.....there will be no 7DIII.

I can understand how those who are vested and love their 7Ds can hope for an upgrade.  I am not vested and with more objectivity I doubt there will be one.

Higher models are obviously going to migrate towards mirrorless.  That makes even more sense for those who want high shutter rates.  The whole camera market is seriously contracting.  R&D and the number of camera options also needs to contract.  Cameras are getting smaller and lighter.   The 7D series cameras were built like bricks and weighed almost as much.  The manufacturers see the future of high end cameras in the FF options.

So the final concerns might be what is missing on the 90D that could be reasonably provided with a 7DIII?  The water and dust proof are supposed to have been upgraded from the 80D.  The sensor is improved in addition to the increase in pixels.  The concern for birders seems to be focusing.  The assumption seems to be that 45 focus points means there was no improvement.  That remains to be seen.  It is possible that the 90D focusing has been greatly improved.  To my way of thinking focusing is all about the camera software.  45 points is not the issue.

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
EduPortas Regular Member • Posts: 458

Canon released the 7D II at a time in-between the 1D X and 1D X II, not too close to either of its bigger brothers.

Two different markets, IMO. One isn consumerish, the other one top-end pro.

If Nikon can sell their D500 with some degree of success, I believe the market is primed for a 7D3.

Maybe Canon just doesn't want to launch a product that will be obsolete on arrival, as many have critiqued the 7D2 of just that. That means more R&D, testing, etc.

Distinctly Average Regular Member • Posts: 499

jrkliny wrote:

I can understand how those who are vested and love their 7Ds can hope for an upgrade. I am not vested and with more objectivity I doubt there will be one.

Higher models are obviously going to migrate towards mirrorless. That makes even more sense for those who want high shutter rates. The whole camera market is seriously contracting. R&D and the number of camera options also needs to contract. Cameras are getting smaller and lighter. The 7D series cameras were built like bricks and weighed almost as much. The manufacturers see the future of high end cameras in the FF options.

So the final concerns might be what is missing on the 90D that could be reasonably provided with a 7DIII? The water and dust proof are supposed to have been upgraded from the 80D. The sensor is improved in addition to the increase in pixels. The concern for birders seems to be focusing. The assumption seems to be that 45 focus points means there was no improvement. That remains to be seen. It is possible that the 90D focusing has been greatly improved. To my way of thinking focusing is all about the camera software. 45 points is not the issue.

You are being too simplistic with the differences. There really is a lot more to it than those simple specifications. I am certain the 90D is a fantastic camera. Despite the critics and fan boys, Canon get so much spot on.

Personally I am sure there will be another high end crop body from Canon. Almost all the people I see out shooting wildlife have either a 7D2 or a D500. The market is still there and people are willing to spend on their hobbies. A crop body allows us to reduce weight and that is a big boon. I do own a FF Canon, but it just sits gathering dust because the 7D2 is just so good for the type of photography I do. I also carry an 80D for macro as it is better suited to that than my 5D3. Crop is far from dead.

-- hide signature --
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 3,010

Distinctly Average wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

I can understand how those who are vested and love their 7Ds can hope for an upgrade. I am not vested and with more objectivity I doubt there will be one.

Higher models are obviously going to migrate towards mirrorless. That makes even more sense for those who want high shutter rates. The whole camera market is seriously contracting. R&D and the number of camera options also needs to contract. Cameras are getting smaller and lighter. The 7D series cameras were built like bricks and weighed almost as much. The manufacturers see the future of high end cameras in the FF options.

So the final concerns might be what is missing on the 90D that could be reasonably provided with a 7DIII? The water and dust proof are supposed to have been upgraded from the 80D. The sensor is improved in addition to the increase in pixels. The concern for birders seems to be focusing. The assumption seems to be that 45 focus points means there was no improvement. That remains to be seen. It is possible that the 90D focusing has been greatly improved. To my way of thinking focusing is all about the camera software. 45 points is not the issue.

You are being too simplistic with the differences. There really is a lot more to it than those simple specifications. I am certain the 90D is a fantastic camera. Despite the critics and fan boys, Canon get so much spot on.

Personally I am sure there will be another high end crop body from Canon. Almost all the people I see out shooting wildlife have either a 7D2 or a D500. The market is still there and people are willing to spend on their hobbies. A crop body allows us to reduce weight and that is a big boon. I do own a FF Canon, but it just sits gathering dust because the 7D2 is just so good for the type of photography I do. I also carry an 80D for macro as it is better suited to that than my 5D3. Crop is far from dead.

Agree, just adding 

Don't forget the numerous options to fine-tune the 7DII. It's about adjusting the AF to specific subjects and/or situations.

And while saving space and weight a crop body also gives an in-built 1.6 teleconverter without penalties (losing stops, slower AF).

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 54,891

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

And while saving space and weight a crop body also gives an in-built 1.6 teleconverter without penalties (losing stops, slower AF).

Cropping is exactly the same as adding a teleconverter - the same loss of light, just accounted for differently.

Adding a teleconverter to the lens makes the combined optical system slower by the teleconverter ratio (multiply f-stop by that ratio).

Cropping reduces the total light captured by the exact same amount but does so by literally cropping out some of the light, either by cropping or by reducing sensor size.

In fact, if you think of the teleconverter as being added to the body, rather than to the lens, you can think of it as optically reducing the sensor size (and the pixels contained therein).  Same thing.

TANSTAAFL

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
thomste Forum Member • Posts: 59

Lee Jay wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Cropping is exactly the same as adding a teleconverter - the same loss of light, just accounted for differently.

Adding a teleconverter to the lens makes the combined optical system slower by the teleconverter ratio (multiply f-stop by that ratio).

Cropping reduces the total light captured by the exact same amount but does so by literally cropping out some of the light, either by cropping or by reducing sensor size.

In fact, if you think of the teleconverter as being added to the body, rather than to the lens, you can think of it as optically reducing the sensor size (and the pixels contained therein). Same thing.

TANSTAAFL

So does this mean that you get the same result shooting with a 7dii and a 400mm lens at f4 or a 5div with 400mm lens + 1.6x extender at f5.6?

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,384
Your Guess May Well Be Correct. I Have Hedged My Bets.

jrkliny wrote:

Your guess may well be correct.

If there is no 7D III, well, I am already prepared. I bought a 5Ds R, in early 2016, which has as much “reach” as a 7D II, thanks to the pixel density, and AF that seems more capable than the 7D II, at least in some conditions. I added a 5D IV, in early 2018, which has noticeably better AF than the 7D II. Neither of these have the frame rate of the 7D II, and the 5Ds R does not have nearly the buffer depth, but, I still have my two 7D II cameras.

These four Canon DSLRs are a capable “team,” complementing each other. I do very little high-volume continuous shooting, so, these cameras will probably remain serviceable for quite some time. I can use Canon DSLRs, while biding my time, for Canon’s EOS R system to mature. (Actually, I like the EOS RP, and may buy one, though it is not anywhere close to being a 7D II replacement.)

Then, there is Nikon, my second system. My wife became dedicated to Nikon, when she was ready to commit to digital, for her personal shooting. Her employer issued Nikon DSLR cameras, so she became accustomed to them. It made, and still makes financial sense, to be able to share Nikon lenses, especially for our common interest, bird photography. I had bought pre-owned, prior-model Nikon DSLRs, starting in 2014, and in early 2018, after I retired, the cheque for my unused, accumulated “comp time” was enough to fund my new D5.

I doubt that I will buy a 90D, if there is no 7D III. As attrition eventually claims my 7D II cameras, life will continue. One adapts to unwanted change; such is life. Already, I am more likely to use my EF 100-400L II IS on a 5D IV or 5Ds R, than a 7D II; in effect, I have adapted.(Nikon has nothing to match the wonderful EF 100-400L II IS.)

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +51 more
RogerZoul
Re: Your Guess May Well Be Correct. I Have Hedged My Bets.

Rexgig0 wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

Your guess may well be correct.

If there is no 7D III, well, I am already prepared. I bought a 5Ds R, in early 2016, which has as much “reach” as a 7D II, thanks to the pixel density, and AF that seems more capable than the 7D II, at least in some conditions. I added a 5D IV, in early 2018, which has noticeably better AF than the 7D II. Neither of these have the frame rate of the 7D II, and the 5Ds R does not have nearly the buffer depth, but, I still have my two 7D II cameras.

I have not been able to confidently decide that that AF in the 5D4 is better than that in the 7D2.  The main reason is that the image  you see in the 7D2 is larger (well, a crop of) what  you see in the 5D4 and also the AF point spread covers a greater percentage of the frame.  That means, for me, that I have better placement of the AF points and the points seem to cover my subjects better.  Also, since the 5D4 is not only slower than the 7D2, it also fires off slower too, so getting results with it seems much harder to me.

I've heard a lot of people say that the full frame bodies like the 5d3 and 5d4 have better AF than the 7D2, but I personally do not find this to be so easily said, not to mention proven.  Of course, IQ is another matter entirely when  the light gets low.

These four Canon DSLRs are a capable “team,” complementing each other. I do very little high-volume continuous shooting, so, these cameras will probably remain serviceable for quite some time. I can use Canon DSLRs, while biding my time, for Canon’s EOS R system to mature. (Actually, I like the EOS RP, and may buy one, though it is not anywhere close to being a 7D II replacement.)

Then, there is Nikon, my second system. My wife became dedicated to Nikon, when she was ready to commit to digital, for her personal shooting. Her employer issued Nikon DSLR cameras, so she became accustomed to them. It made, and still makes financial sense, to be able to share Nikon lenses, especially for our common interest, bird photography. I had bought pre-owned, prior-model Nikon DSLRs, starting in 2014, and in early 2018, after I retired, the cheque for my unused, accumulated “comp time” was enough to fund my new D5.

I doubt that I will buy a 90D, if there is no 7D III. As attrition eventually claims my 7D II cameras, life will continue. One adapts to unwanted change; such is life. Already, I am more likely to use my EF 100-400L II IS on a 5D IV or 5Ds R, than a 7D II; in effect, I have adapted.(Nikon has nothing to match the wonderful EF 100-400L II IS.)

I still believe there will be a 7D3.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +33 more
RogerZoul

thomste wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

In fact, if you think of the teleconverter as being added to the body, rather than to the lens, you can think of it as optically reducing the sensor size (and the pixels contained therein). Same thing.

TANSTAAFL

So does this mean that you get the same result shooting with a 7dii and a 400mm lens at f4 or a 5div with 400mm lens + 1.6x extender at f5.6?

No.  The lens in the teleconverter can have flaws that reduce image quality. And it slows down the AF system, which can  have a negative impact on capturing an image.

thomste Forum Member • Posts: 59

Thanks, that's what I thought....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads