90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,433
Re: Choosing APS-C over FF

Distinctly Average wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I see a lot of 7d mk2’s but also a lot of D500’s and d850’s and an occasional 5d mk4

Are you using FF for wildlife as well as APS-C ?

I suppose that many FF users look at APS-C users in the field and assume that we can’t afford to upgrade to Full Frame, and that it’s not a deliberate choice we make.

There is a lot of elitism in the field; more in the past than recently, I think. There are a lot of personality types that just go for the "bigger and more expensive is just better always" that seems to be linked to ego with people who don't understand the real technical issues of digital imaging, despite often being very good at getting out there and getting the shots, just from putting their time in. When I first started bird photography, there were a few people with the big tripods, the biggest lenses, and the 1D bodies who seemed like gods of bird photography, and after I started to understand things for myself, I realized that they didn't understand the issue of scale at all, and were fixated on how 100% pixel views looked on their monitors. One told me that his 4MP 1D was much more crop-able than the 1D3 he was currently using. Another told me how much more crop-able his 3.43MP Sigma SD9 was than his 1D3. These two guys just got completely deflated in my esteem of their knowledge when they told me these things. They had no understanding of scale.

Shortly after the specs for the 7D2 were out and some leaked RAWs to measure noise, I mentioned to one fellow who used a 5D3 that the 7D2 had lower high-ISO noise in focal length-limited situations than any other Canons except the 1Dx, and he protested that this wasn't true, and said that the 5D3 had less noise. When I suggested that he was talking about pixel-level views, and that they are irrelevant in focal-length-limited photography, he said that no, the pixel noise is *THE* noise of the camera, because it happens at the source. This from a college professor!

My worry is that Canon is thinking the same way and is wrongly believing that we APS-C users are longing to make the upgrade to FF, and that we use the 7D2 but wish we had a 1DXII

I can buy a case of 1DxII bodies without a loan or on credit. Still I don't have one, even though I would prefer one, perhaps, when I shoot larger stuff, but the smaller stuff is where quality of resolution matters most.

There lies an illusion: when a person has both a 1DxII and a 7D2, they may find that their best shots on the 1DxII are better than the best shots on the 7D2 at the same ISO. There is no surprise there, but it was the situation and optics, not the sensor, that let them fill the larger frame well and give lower noise, more analog sharpness from the lens, and greater background separation. This has zero generic value, however, when focal-length-limited with an f/8 lens + TC with a subject that the 7D2 can focus on at f/8.

Elitism? I always find that a very odd thing. From the eyes of the beholder it suggest a certain level of insecurity, or a willingness to be a victim of either marketing or the bullies with the overpriced kit.

I know a young autistic lad, 15. He had a very beaten up 7D the he bought for £80 on fleabay after saving his pocket money for a long time. That is coupled with an old 400mm 5.6 also purchased from the bay of fleas by his parents as a birthday present. I first met him when surrounded by a group of photo snobs photographing a local rarity. Some of those togs were moaning that a child was there, unhappy he was closer than them. Numerous comments were made and to say it got my heckles up would be an understatement. But the young lad let it go straight over his head and concentrated on the task in hand. The bird was totally at ease with the young lad as he knew exactly how to observe and read the subject. Said young lad won two National photographic competitions with shots from that day. I would love to rub that in the faces of the snobs with their £15000 of kit each, but boring photos from what I could see. To me it on not about the kit, the technical abilities of the sensor or any other such garbage. It is about making the most of what you own, learning what it can and cannot do.

you are right on the mark, i have been saying this like forever! it is not the gear but rather the vision and grasp of how to frame and compose and how the end result would look like!

peace

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

OUGrad05 Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Z6

Rexgig0 wrote:

OUGrad05 wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

So specs don’t seem to show dual cards or dual DIGIC, so the 90D isnt any sort of 7D2/80D compromise. It’s just an updated 80D.

I’m a Canon fan, but I really think they made a mistake dumping the 7D range.

But at least Canon just saved me $1500 as I won’t be buying a 90D anytime soon.

I agree it's a mistake. I've been rocking my old Rebel T2i for several years waiting on the 7D3 or perhaps the 6D2 (disappointed). Thought this might be it. Doesn't look like it'll get the dual card slots, top tier weather sealing, cramming more pixels on what seems to be the same sensor will result in poor low light (important for me).
I guess it'll be time to relegate the T2i to backup duty and go Z6, or Sony A7R3 (assuming it comes down a bit with the R4 announcement).

My Nikon-shooting wife loves her Z6. She also uses D500 and D850 cameras, but she appreciates the smaller form factor of the Z5, and its excellent 24-70mm f/4 kit zoom. She has decades of very serious photography experience.

Neither of use like Sony ergonomics, controls, or menus. My bridge camera, prior to starting DSLR shooting, was a Sony DSC-H20, so my Sony menu experience is based upon actual usage. The menu of my starter DSLR, the XTi, was a breath of fresh air. (I quickly upgraded to a 40D, then a 7D, for the handling qualities and adult-sized controls.)

I immediately embraced the better low-light performance of the 7D II, in 2014, but also started adding pre-owned Nikon FX cameras, the same year. (It made sense, as I and my wife could share Nikon lenses and Speedlights.) Canon remained my “primary” system, however, being so much better, overall, than Nikon, for my evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography. (Best, weather-sealed Speedlites, best macro ring flash for street.field use, best macro lens, cameras’ ability to detect and sync with flickering light sources.)

In early 2018, after retirement, I bought a new Nikon D5, with money from a cheque for my unused “comp” time, which might have resulted in my shifting to Nikon, for birds/wildlife, but a severe XQD card shortage, with Spring Migration imminent, prompted me to add a Canon 5D Mark IV, which could use my ample supply of CF and SD cards.

Well, Nikon D5 AF is amazing, but the 5D IV AF does amazingly well, too, with wonderful L lenses, such as my EF 100-400L II IS. A 7D III would be worth adding, for me, if it could improve, even incrementally, upon the 5D IV’s AF.

Cool story and experience, thank you for sharing!
My next system will likely be the one I invest some serious $ in.  My wife is starting to get into it and using the T2i.  She's got a great eye and could do it professionally (I'm not that good).  I'm not sure she'll go that path but it would be pretty cool if she did.

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,303

1Dx4me wrote:

you are right on the mark, i have been saying this like forever! it

There is no "IT".

is not the gear but rather the vision and grasp of how to frame and compose and how the end result would look like!

That's one part of making photographs, and very valuable, but give the same person a series of black-box camera and lens systems that all behave the same, as far as the user knows, and they can all give different noise, different resolution, different image stabilization, etc.

I will never understand the human obsession with reducing complex thing to monoliths, and then apply thresholds or excluding aspects.

TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 3,004

John Sheehy wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

There is no "IT".

is not the gear but rather the vision and grasp of how to frame and compose and how the end result would look like!

That's one part of making photographs, and very valuable, but give the same person a series of black-box camera and lens systems that all behave the same, as far as the user knows, and they can all give different noise, different resolution, different image stabilization, etc.

I will never understand the human obsession with reducing complex thing to monoliths, and then apply thresholds or excluding aspects.

Or even worse, if it's too complex to understand it can't exist, like climate change and evolution.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Distinctly Average Regular Member • Posts: 498

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

There is no "IT".

Or even worse, if it's too complex to understand it can't exist, like climate change and evolution.

Careful, or you’ll bring the flat earthers out. Or worse, those who firmly believe there was not a time BC - Before Canon.

-- hide signature --
OP IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,545
Wifi speed would be a problem

thunder storm wrote:

Shooting in high burst mode requires jpeg anyway so the pics can be back upped by sending the pics to your phone, so this could be a work around for the lack of a 2nd card slot.

Wifi and Bluetooth are not quick enough to act as a second card. Maybe for S3 images, but above that the camera will buffer really badly. Canon's wifi runs at about 12-13Mbps on the W-E1 and 6D2, and about 50Mbps on the WFT. I've no idea if newer implementations will be better, can't be worse frankly, but I doubt they suddenly have the speed as a usable second card slot.

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,662
Re: Wifi speed would be a problem

IR1234 wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Shooting in high burst mode requires jpeg anyway so the pics can be back upped by sending the pics to your phone, so this could be a work around for the lack of a 2nd card slot.

Wifi and Bluetooth are not quick enough to act as a second card. Maybe for S3 images, but above that the camera will buffer really badly. Canon's wifi runs at about 12-13Mbps on the W-E1 and 6D2, and about 50Mbps on the WFT. I've no idea if newer implementations will be better, can't be worse frankly, but I doubt they suddenly have the speed as a usable second card slot.

I see.  Sounds like there is not a good work around for the lack of a 2nd card slot.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

tutankhamera Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: 90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

I wonder how well through the viewfinder eye will work?

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,378
7D III Is My Hope, As Well.

Steve Balcombe wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I actually take this as good news as I think it means we could still get a 7d mk3.

After a few hours chewing it over, I've come to the same conclusion. My initial reaction was that giving the 90D certain '7D' features like the joystick and spot AF, and of course 10 fps, could mean this is the best we're going to get - so no 7D3. But the more I look at the 90D, the more it looks like a nice update to the 80D, but nothing more. It has simply inherited a few features from a higher-tier body which is now almost five years old. Classic trickle-down. And with only 45 points, the AF hasn't even caught up with the 7D2, just narrowed the gap. The body is exactly the same size as the 80D, so it will be no better for use with bigger/heavier lenses. It still has a slightly below-par viewfinder. It still has <stage whisper> one card slot </>.

So the 90D is not the predicted re-merge of the XXD and 7D lines - and this launch still leaves the door wide open for a 7D3, maybe in the spring.

That is my hope, as well, an eventual 7D III, or whatever Canon would choose to name a high-performance, sports/action APS-C DSLR.

Even though I “upgraded” to full-36x24mm-frame cameras, I see them as additions, not something to replace the 7D II. My wife and I are concentrating on close-range nature and wildlife photography, for which my pair of 7D II cameras remains relevant. (An EF 100/2.8L Macro IS is virtually welded to one of my 7D II bodies, as was the case when I was still employed by Houston PD, and using my 7D II cameras for evidentiary/forensic/crime scene photography.) A 7D III would, presumably, have significant AF improvements, so I would probably buy at least one, perhaps two.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +51 more
digigal
digigal Senior Member • Posts: 1,026
Re: Card failure

IR1234 wrote:

So far, we’ve had a 50D fail twice with shutter failure, a 7D with shutter failure, a 7D2 with secondary mirror failure (it got a new shutter), a 35-350 that has locked up, and another 35-350 failed this year with an error at certain focal lengths. And a Sigma 24-70 that managed to fail with two different issues within 48 hours years ago.

That said, the first failed (and repaired) 7D2 is now at about 1.1m actuations today, with a global count of about 2.1-2.2m, and we have one 7D2 at 1.6m without a single failure but it’s backup is ready in my bag.

So it’s swings and roundabouts with reliability.

Wow!  I thought I had one of the longest lived 7DMKII with 390 K shutter clicks.  It's not given me any trouble but because the shutter is rated for only 200 K clicks, I recently bought a new one because of some photography trips and I didn't want it to fail and have been using my old one as back up.  I think I'm going to pass on the 90D and wait to see what Canon has to offer next Spring before making any final decision about what to do.  I still plan to use a crop sensor for wildlife because of the ability to have the superb EF 100-400 II shoot at an effective 160-640 mm range which is perfect for me and is about the heaviest lens I can manage in a backpack full of gear.

Catherine

digigal's gear list:digigal's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +5 more
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,378
Re: 7D Mark II + EF 100-400L II IS

digigal wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

So far, we’ve had a 50D fail twice with shutter failure, a 7D with shutter failure, a 7D2 with secondary mirror failure (it got a new shutter), a 35-350 that has locked up, and another 35-350 failed this year with an error at certain focal lengths. And a Sigma 24-70 that managed to fail with two different issues within 48 hours years ago.

That said, the first failed (and repaired) 7D2 is now at about 1.1m actuations today, with a global count of about 2.1-2.2m, and we have one 7D2 at 1.6m without a single failure but it’s backup is ready in my bag.

Wow! I thought I had one of the longest lived 7DMKII with 390 K shutter clicks. It's not given me any trouble but because the shutter is rated for only 200 K clicks, I recently bought a new one because of some photography trips and I didn't want it to fail and have been using my old one as back up. I think I'm going to pass on the 90D and wait to see what Canon has to offer next Spring before making any final decision about what to do. I still plan to use a crop sensor for wildlife because of the ability to have the superb EF 100-400 II shoot at an effective 160-640 mm range which is perfect for me and is about the heaviest lens I can manage in a backpack full of gear.

Catherine

The 7D II and the EF 100-400L II IS really are a wonderful, capable, nicely-portable combination.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +51 more
TheBlackGrouse

digigal wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Wow! I thought I had one of the longest lived 7DMKII with 390 K shutter clicks. It's not given me any trouble but because the shutter is rated for only 200 K clicks, I recently bought a new one because of some photography trips and I didn't want it to fail and have been using my old one as back up. I think I'm going to pass on the 90D and wait to see what Canon has to offer next Spring before making any final decision about what to do. I still plan to use a crop sensor for wildlife because of the ability to have the superb EF 100-400 II shoot at an effective 160-640 mm range which is perfect for me and is about the heaviest lens I can manage in a backpack full of gear.

Catherine

Yes, I never meet a hiker with a 500/600 mm prime. They are always 'at home'

Just returned from a week hiking with my 7DII, 100-400 II, 16-35 L, lots of filters (10 Lee GND) and heavy Leica 10x42 binos.

Ok, you can carry more but the most important question is: do you hike shorter distances because of your gear?

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,338

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

digigal wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Catherine

Just returned from a week hiking with my 7DII, 100-400 II, 16-35 L, lots of filters (10 Lee GND) and heavy Leica 10x42 binos.

Ok, you can carry more but the most important question is: do you hike shorter distances because of your gear?

This is very true, as a hiker and cyclist that loves to photograph birds, I put my 500mm and 560mm lens behind me and got the Canon 400DOII. I would have gotten to the point where I would just leave the lens at home otherwise... The 400DOII is júst at the right side of things for me (not only weight but also size).

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +3 more
TheBlackGrouse

Chris Mak wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

digigal wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Catherine

This is very true, as a hiker and cyclist that loves to photograph birds, I put my 500mm and 560mm lens behind me and got the Canon 400DOII. I would have gotten to the point where I would just leave the lens at home otherwise... The 400DOII is júst at the right side of things for me (not only weight but also size).

Ah, also from the Netherlands 

The 400 DO II is an interesting option for 'moving' bird photographers.

Until recently, I was hoping for a Canon 500 f5.6, like Nikon has, but I doubt it will ever come. However, 400 mm is enough for me, especially when a 7 D III arrives with more megapixels than the Mk II.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,338

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Chris Mak wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

digigal wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Catherine

Ah, also from the Netherlands

The 400 DO II is an interesting option for 'moving' bird photographers.

Until recently, I was hoping for a Canon 500 f5.6, like Nikon has, but I doubt it will ever come. However, 400 mm is enough for me, especially when a 7 D III arrives with more megapixels than the Mk II.

Yes, the islands up north are amongst my favorite locations for bird photography, and as you will know, you should not really travel them by car, although some do the ones where cars are allowed.. I use the 1.4TC almost all the time with the 400DOII, on the 7DII. I like the combo a lot, but am waiting for a version with better sensor regarding post processing capabilities.

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +3 more
flash551 New Member • Posts: 15

rumors about 7 mark iii not gone, could be very cool to have great eye focus and ecf

naturally with all the obvious specifications like two cards , double processor and so on

robbert100 Contributing Member • Posts: 667

I am quite happy with the oncoming D90, a camera being capable for 95% the 7DmkII can do and offering a touch screen (how I miss this using my 7DmkII next to my 5DmkIV ). A 7DmkIII would be nice but if Canon will not deliver it I won’t hassitate to buy the 90D

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Rob
www.namaqualand.wordpress.com

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
TheBlackGrouse

robbert100 wrote:

I am quite happy with the oncoming D90, a camera being capable for 95% the 7DmkII can do and offering a touch screen (how I miss this using my 7DmkII next to my 5DmkIV ). A 7DmkIII would be nice but if Canon will not deliver it I won’t hassitate to buy the 90D

Sorry, yes the 90D looks promising but for sports and wildlife photographers it is not comparable with the 7D series.

Ok, when your 7DII stops working or if you have many Canon lenses and there is no 7DIII, you may buy the 90D.

Maybe Canon will introduce a high-density full-frame DSLR to replace the 5D and 7D. It would be more expensive than the 7D though.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

robbert100 Contributing Member • Posts: 667

The future will tell if the 90D isn’t as capable as the 7DmkII for wildlife...

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Rob
www.namaqualand.wordpress.com

robbert100's gear list:robbert100's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
OUGrad05 Forum Member • Posts: 71

flash551 wrote:

rumors about 7 mark iii not gone, could be very cool to have great eye focus and ecf

naturally with all the obvious specifications like two cards , double processor and so on

Two cards huge plus, 4k video...proper 4k video, eye AF...yes they need to do that.  I won't wait another year.  Something for me is happening likely between now and Christmas.  If we hear nothing from Canon then I'll jump to Nikon or Sony or Panasonic.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads