90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,546
90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

So specs don’t seem to show dual cards or dual DIGIC, so the 90D isnt any sort of 7D2/80D compromise. It’s just an updated 80D.

I’m a Canon fan, but I really think they made a mistake dumping the 7D range.

But at least Canon just saved me $1500 as I won’t be buying a 90D anytime soon.

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,400
Re: 90D. Well that’s disappointing for us 7D2 users

IR1234 wrote:

So specs don’t seem to show dual cards or dual DIGIC, so the 90D isnt any sort of 7D2/80D compromise. It’s just an updated 80D.

Who said Canon dumped the 7D line?  Can you show a link for such a statement?

You can't believe all of the rumors around. Save your money and wait for the 7D3 or for an announcement from Canon saying that it isn't coming.  I would expect to spend a little more than $1500, though.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +33 more
rrc1967 Contributing Member • Posts: 630

IR1234 wrote:

You know that is just a rumor.

Tbh, the 90D and the 7D line can never be shoved back together again, they diverged too much.  That being said, the 90D looks like a credible update to the 80D.

OP IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,546

RogerZoul wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

Who said Canon dumped the 7D line? Can you show a link for such a statement?

You can't believe all of the rumors around. Save your money and wait for the 7D3 or for an announcement from Canon saying that it isn't coming. I would expect to spend a little more than $1500, though.

It’s been 5 years now. This should have been the point at which it was released, and....we got a reheated 80d instead, which was also way overdue. At this point, yeah, pretty disappointed Canon owner. Will they release a 7d3 next year? At this point, I doubt it.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
Jim B (MSP) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,976

IR1234 wrote:

It’s been 5 years now. This should have been the point at which it was released, and....we got a reheated 80d instead, which was also way overdue. At this point, yeah, pretty disappointed Canon owner. Will they release a 7d3 next year? At this point, I doubt it.

I am with you.

I have an 80D, and certainly the prelim paper specs I have read don't make me want to jump up and spend money on a trade in.

I would have considered a 7D3, but I think that will always remain a dream for many people.

I may end up looking at a next gen full frame mirror-less if, among other things, they get a proper electronic view finder working. I can't stand looking at a back screen in bright daylight, and I can steady a camera much better (low shutter speeds) when held against my body when I look through a viewfinder.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D
dvdgd Regular Member • Posts: 128

Until Canon official announce the end of the 7D line don't believe anything you read. The specs for the 90D are good enough to replace the 80D but no where near good enough to replace 7D2 so until it is confirmed the 90D is replacing both lines then I will sit hoping for 7D3 news. I have owned 7D2 since day of release and it is my goto camrea for wildlife especially BiF with the 100-400mm mk2 lens BUT if they are dumping the 7D2 line I know a lot of people who will be considering moving from Canon altogether so as I say I am hoping this isn't the end of the 7D line just a little longer wait.

dvdgd's gear list:dvdgd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 24,861
Card failure

How often has you memory card failed, so that you need a second card?

Just curious.

BAK

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,828

I actually take this as good news as I think it means we could still get a 7d mk3.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,828
Re: Card failure

I’ve had it a couple of times but still am not worried about having a second card slot.  One of those times I lost an almost full 32GB card of photos from a fantastic day in Ecuador.  With my cameras that had two I always just use one.  I guess it all depends on what you are comfortable with.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Re: Card failure

BAK wrote:

How often has you memory card failed, so that you need a second card?

Just curious.

BAK

We shoot highres to cf and s3 to sd. This allows us to process tens of thousands of images in a very short amount of time ready for publishing. By allowing the camera to resize on the fly, it greatly shortens the processing time. Faster we publish, more money we make.

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I actually take this as good news as I think it means we could still get a 7d mk3.

Considering the spec of the 90d, you could be right. I sure hope so but I’m not confident at this point.

Paul B Jones
Paul B Jones Veteran Member • Posts: 3,042

It would be nice to have a 7d3 for sure, and one hopeful sign is that XXd numbering sequence is flowing naturally from 80d to 90d. An obvious signal of the end of the 7d line would have been to give this camera some new hybrid type name.

My guess is Canon has a pretty much finished prototype for the 7d3 ready, and are assessing market conditions to decide whether from a financial perspective it is a project worth proceeding with.

For my part, I'm stoked about the 90d and will purchase one as soon as it is released. Never got used to FF for birds.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Sharlin
Sharlin Contributing Member • Posts: 676

IR1234 wrote:

What would they need dual processors for if one DiGIC 8 can do 32MPix @ 10fps? Sensor readout speed is almost certainly a bottleneck at such extreme throughput that out of all Canon cameras only the 1DX 2 has achieved previously! The throughput of the 7D2, with its dual processors, is just 200 Mpix/s. In real-world engineering you can't just make one part of a system faster and expect the whole thing to speed up.

Sharlin's gear list:Sharlin's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Cavig1 Regular Member • Posts: 498

IR1234 wrote:

I'm hoping this isn't true but it sure seems to be ☹️ I'm getting older and my 7Dii has almost 300K actuations.  I'm tired of waiting.  If they release a 7Diii I'll be pre-ordering.  Until then I'll put my Canon gear in the closet and shoot with my recently acquired Sony gear (A9, A6400 and 200-600mm lens)

Yep!  I would have gladly forked over $5K-$6K to Canon for a 7Diii and a new reasonably priced super zoom.

Oh well!  Guess this is just another indication of how Canon has slid so far down (and so fast) the digital camera food chain 😃

While I will keep on hoping for a 7Dii replacement and affordable super zooms, I'll retain my Canon gear.  However I continue to be disappointed with Canon's product roadmap.

Cavig

Cavig1's gear list:Cavig1's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +8 more
Andreas Berglund Contributing Member • Posts: 846

Whether a 7DMKII is in the works or not I cant tell of course, the rumor mill thinks its not.

For me this is not really about just the camera body, it is about Canon being a viable future system for me as a birder. I have a 100-400 II, a 400mm DO II and a 600 II. That is a lot of money invested in Canon as a system. And I have patiently waited for what to me sounds like an obvious upgrade to my 7DMKII's.

Canon has the lenses, but not a viable body right now, if the supposed 90D specs are right, and after seeing the expensive intro video to the 90D I truly doubt that it would not be correct specs, my message to Canon is very simple, and if there is no 7DMKIII coming Canon is not for me a viable birding system, and I will re-evaluate. I don't want FF birding cameras, when you shoot sometimes thousands of images a day it becomes a burden with to many files to go through and crop them.

We need a statement of direction from Canon, if we don't get one it is going to hurt Canons sales, not just short term

What I want (need) is

• 24 MP, ap-c as low noise and high as a DR as possible, at least the same as Sony's Exmoor sensors.
  • 10-12 fps
  • To notch AF with animal eye AF
  • Dual cards would be nice, high speed at least UHS-II
  • 5 seconds of RAW buffer at least (see Nikon D500!, now 3 years old) 10 would be great, the D500 does
  • Truly reconfigurable buttons
  • Sealed obviously
  • a real grip that can handle 2 batteries extra
  • and so on.
-- hide signature --

Andréas Berglund
delapsus resurgam

Andreas Berglund's gear list:Andreas Berglund's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D2X Nikon D3200 Nikon D7100 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +30 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,440

BirdShooter7 wrote:

After a few hours chewing it over, I've come to the same conclusion. My initial reaction was that giving the 90D certain '7D' features like the joystick and spot AF, and of course 10 fps, could mean this is the best we're going to get - so no 7D3. But the more I look at the 90D, the more it looks like a nice update to the 80D, but nothing more. It has simply inherited a few features from a higher-tier body which is now almost five years old. Classic trickle-down. And with only 45 points, the AF hasn't even caught up with the 7D2, just narrowed the gap. The body is exactly the same size as the 80D, so it will be no better for use with bigger/heavier lenses. It still has a slightly below-par viewfinder. It still has <stage whisper> one card slot </>.

So the 90D is not the predicted re-merge of the XXD and 7D lines - and this launch still leaves the door wide open for a 7D3, maybe in the spring.

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,087
x0D releases unrelated to 7D's

IR1234 wrote:

9/2008 - 50D

10/2009 - 7D

8/2010 - 60D

2011 - "Where's my 7D II ?"

8/2012 - v2.03 firmware for 7D. "That's nice, but where's my 7D II ?"

8/2013 - 70D, "Where's my 7D II ?"

11/2014 - 7D II "Yay!"

2015 - (crickets)

3/2016 - 80D

2017-2018 - "Where's my 7D III ?"

9/2019 - 90D, "Where's my 7D III ?"

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,715

Good point!

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

Sharlin wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

What would they need dual processors for if one DiGIC 8 can do 32MPix @ 10fps? Sensor readout speed is almost certainly a bottleneck at such extreme throughput that out of all Canon cameras only the 1DX 2 has achieved previously! The throughput of the 7D2, with its dual processors, is just 200 Mpix/s. In real-world engineering you can't just make one part of a system faster and expect the whole thing to speed up.

Dual processors is more than MP throughput. If you take our 6d2 into the field where we usually have the 7d2 or 7d, you can feel the af very slightly start to bog down as the processor gets busy shuffling data around. The UI takes a real hit when the camera is busy, even just changing a Q setting let alone image review. The camera just does not have the same snappy feeling the 7d or 7d2 has.

Dual processors also handle things like secondary card resizing, eg L on cf, and S1 on sd, absolutely flawlessly.

So yes, dual processors can make a big difference on these cameras when you push them. And we push them.

Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,339

Andreas Berglund wrote:

Whether a 7DMKII is in the works or not I cant tell of course, the rumor mill thinks its not.

For me this is not really about just the camera body, it is about Canon being a viable future system for me as a birder. I have a 100-400 II, a 400mm DO II and a 600 II. That is a lot of money invested in Canon as a system. And I have patiently waited for what to me sounds like an obvious upgrade to my 7DMKII's.

Canon has the lenses, but not a viable body right now, if the supposed 90D specs are right, and after seeing the expensive intro video to the 90D I truly doubt that it would not be correct specs, my message to Canon is very simple, and if there is no 7DMKIII coming Canon is not for me a viable birding system, and I will re-evaluate. I don't want FF birding cameras, when you shoot sometimes thousands of images a day it becomes a burden with to many files to go through and crop them.

A future EOS-R with 80mp could be used in crop mode, and give you 30mp images, but then you would be forced to use a landscape/studio portrait camera as a birding camera, similar to where Sony users are being pushed with the A7RIV, because the APSC crop bodies are kept in a form factor that pretty much rules them out as birding cameras. So Sony users reluctantly spend big cash on a A9 and always complain about reach, or get A A7RIII and complain about AF.

What is it with companies like Sony and Canon, refusing to make a truly useful crop camera like Nikon did with the D500? Obviously wildlife/birding is not seen as important enough to develop an optimal body for. So I am also still wondering where to find a camera to replace my 7DII.

We need a statement of direction from Canon, if we don't get one it is going to hurt Canons sales, not just short term

What I want (need) is

• 24 MP, ap-c as low noise and high as a DR as possible, at least the same as Sony's Exmoor sensors.
  • 10-12 fps
  • To notch AF with animal eye AF
  • Dual cards would be nice, high speed at least UHS-II
  • 5 seconds of RAW buffer at least (see Nikon D500!, now 3 years old) 10 would be great, the D500 does
  • Truly reconfigurable buttons
  • Sealed obviously
  • a real grip that can handle 2 batteries extra
  • and so on.
 Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads