Wildlife: Birds, flower, lizard, damselfly

Started 2 months ago | Photos
Eniigma_21
Eniigma_21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,057
Wildlife: Birds, flower, lizard, damselfly

Sharing a few recent images.

All the images were taken in Dominican Republic.

Lenses used:

• PHOENIX 100mm f3.5 macro.
  • Sony 55-210 + Extender DH1774 1.7x.

C&C are welcome.

Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)

Anyone know the name of this flower? Macro lens with a touch of fill flash.

Damselfly eating lunch. Macro lens with diffused flash.

Immature Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea)

Large-headed anole (Anolis cybotes)

I don't photograph doves very often but this was too good to let it go. A Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) through a ray of light.

West Indian Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna arborea)

A bit far, but usually they are in the shadows. Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)

Eniigma_21's gear list:Eniigma_21's gear list
Sony a6000 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS
snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,013
Re: Wildlife: Birds, flower, lizard, damselfly

Eniigma_21 wrote:

Sharing a few recent images. All the images were taken in Dominican Republic.

Lenses used:

• PHOENIX 100mm f3.5 macro.
  • Sony 55-210 + Extender DH1774 1.7x.

C&C are welcome.

A very nice series of pictures, although all were good, the two below were my favorites.

The Damselfly eating really came out well, sharp & colorful. I've taken a few dragonfly shots while eating, but they have always been eating other insects.

That Whistling duck with the narrow DOF and getting down to eye level is probably my favorite. The composition and reflection is also very good!

I don't photograph doves very often but this was too good to let it go. A Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) through a ray of light.

West Indian Whistling-Duck (Dendrocygna arborea)

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,687
Eniigma,

Lovely closeup of the damselfly - and I love the west indian whistler and killdeer shots.  Looks like you actually have a pretty good late summer selection down there, compared to us.

We've been pretty thin on species the last month or so - what is around is hiding from the heat.  We also have night herons, and the usual assortment of waders, moorhens, and ducks, but still no killdeer, sandpipers, stilts, etc.

Not sure of the flower's name - it does look like some kind of iris coloration, but the flower pedals aren't shaped like most irises I see...it's a cool flower, either way!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,816

A few great images but a couple of them seem washed out a bit

-- hide signature --

Former NEX-3, F3, and NEX-6 owner. Current A6000 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

davect01's gear list:davect01's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Newbie Phewbie Senior Member • Posts: 1,537

Lovely pictures. Love the damselfly one - is it eating a moth?

Re: the flower. Take a pic of the whole flower and see if google lens (available as part of the google photo app) or the Wolfram Image identification site can assist.

Newbie Phewbie's gear list:Newbie Phewbie's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +4 more
Eniigma_21
OP Eniigma_21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,057

snapa wrote:

A very nice series of pictures, although all were good, the two below were my favorites.

The Damselfly eating really came out well, sharp & colorful. I've taken a few dragonfly shots while eating, but they have always been eating other insects.

The damselfly is eating a small moth. He ate it very fast.

That Whistling duck with the narrow DOF and getting down to eye level is probably my favorite. The composition and reflection is also very good!

I'm a big fan of low angle shots. The flip screen make it easy. Thanks!

Sony a6000 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS
Eniigma_21
Re: Eniigma,

zackiedawg wrote:

Lovely closeup of the damselfly - and I love the west indian whistler and killdeer shots. Looks like you actually have a pretty good late summer selection down there, compared to us.

We've been pretty thin on species the last month or so - what is around is hiding from the heat. We also have night herons, and the usual assortment of waders, moorhens, and ducks, but still no killdeer, sandpipers, stilts, etc.

Right now we have the common species like egrets, herons, moorhens, grackles, mockingbird, bananaquit, etc.

If i travel to the wetlands (1 hour drive), the species right now are sandpipers, stilts, terns, pelicans, etc.

Like you, i'm waiting for the migration season to start, around october it gets interesting. Meanwhile, i've been experimenting with macro.

Not sure of the flower's name - it does look like some kind of iris coloration, but the flower pedals aren't shaped like most irises I see...it's a cool flower, either way!

Found the name: Common water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes).

Eniigma_21

Newbie Phewbie wrote:

Lovely pictures. Love the damselfly one - is it eating a moth?

Thanks Newbie. Yes, he is.

Re: the flower. Take a pic of the whole flower and see if google lens (available as part of the google photo app) or the Wolfram Image identification site can assist.

Found the name common water hyacinth. I download an app called Plantsnap, it actually works for the ID. Thanks for the suggestion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads