FZ300 new user questions

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
mario64 New Member • Posts: 8
FZ300 new user questions

Hi all,

My FZ300 arrives Wednesday. I bought it to use on an upcoming Alaska cruise. Been doing some reading and have a few questions if someone could take time to respond

1) Are 256GB SD cards supported? I'll be gone for 8 days with no PC for download and plan to shoot 4K

2) Is PNY Elite Performance Pro U3 a good card? Tests show a write speed around 67.3 MB/s

3) How well does this camera integrate with the Apple ecosystem? I assume I can just wirelessly transfer pictures to my iphone. Video will presumably have to be downconverted to 1080p in order to upload to icloud?

4)  I need to shoot pictures using JPG for easy transfer to iphone? If so, any particular quality settings I should use?

5) How exactly does the GPS thing work with iphone? I have to run the app & enable GPS logging PRIOR to taking any pictures? What about after? Will it auto-tag GPS data when I transfer to iphone?

Sorry for such a long post but I haven't been able to source answers to these questions. Thanks for any help and any other new user tips!

mario

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alex Ethridge
Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,152
Re: FZ300 new user questions
 Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +15 more
Anders_K Regular Member • Posts: 427

Don't forget to carry a charged 2nd battery. 

John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,174

mario64 wrote:

Hi all,

My FZ300 arrives Wednesday. I bought it to use on an upcoming Alaska cruise. Been doing some reading and have a few questions if someone could take time to respond

Is this a "family" cruise or a dedicated wildlife photography cruise? If the former then don't count on getting great shots of birds and wildlife on shore excursions. If the latter then you may want more zoom range than the FZ300 can provide. I've been to Alaska on three "family" cruises, including a few days in Denali Nat. Park. Saw very few animals and only at long, long distances. YMMV.

1) Are 256GB SD cards supported? I'll be gone for 8 days with no PC for download and plan to shoot 4K

According to the manual:

SD Memory Cards
512 MB – 2 GB ••Can be used with devices compatible with the
respective formats.
SDHC Memory Cards
4 GB – 32 GB

••Before using SDXC Memory Cards, check that your computer and other devices support this type of card.
http://panasonic.net/avc/sdcard/information/SDXC.html
SDXC Memory Cards
48 GB – 128 GB

••This unit is compatible with UHS-
UHS Speed Class
3 standard SDHC/SDXC memory cards.

2) Is PNY Elite Performance Pro U3 a good card? Tests show a write speed around 67.3 MB/s

I stick with top tier brands, like Lexar and Sandisk. Don't fall for cheap brands that advertise huge capacities at cheap prices. There are many counterfeit cards sold online. Test a new card using https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/ from the SD card Association.

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 7,409

mario64 wrote:

Hi all,

3) How well does this camera integrate with the Apple ecosystem? I assume I can just wirelessly transfer pictures to my iphone. Video will presumably have to be downconverted to 1080p in order to upload to icloud?

4) I need to shoot pictures using JPG for easy transfer to iphone? If so, any particular quality settings I should use?

5) How exactly does the GPS thing work with iphone? I have to run the app & enable GPS logging PRIOR to taking any pictures? What about after? Will it auto-tag GPS data when I transfer to iphone?

Sorry for such a long post but I haven't been able to source answers to these questions. Thanks for any help and any other new user tips!

mario

Before getting all excited about 4k video, I suggest you do a real world comparison with it to 1080p. I did a compare and the difference is very subtle and in some cases, the 1080p looks better. Note that these 4k files are a BEAST to work with and to transfer to a device as they are huge. I suggest you do some comparison testing with your FZ before you put all your eggs in the 4k basket. Note that many sites and certainly many tv's, laptops, and monitors do not have the ultra high def capability.

Happy travels!

Edit: this guy nails the difference (as in no difference): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-u8mUSFss      The actual comparison between 1080 and 4k starts at 3:10

OP mario64 New Member • Posts: 8

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is an anniversary trip not a dedicated wildlife trip. One of the main things which attracted me to the FZ300 was the water and dust resistance as it is known to rain frequently in Alaska. Plus this camera gets great reviews overall. Is there another model I should consider instead? Definitely don't want anything bulkier or without some sort of weather protection

Am I reading correctly that 256GB cards aren't supported? That's a bummer. However, if 4K video really is no better then I'll just shoot at, what, 1080/60? Or would 30fps be preferred?

Regarding GPS, I watched a video which indicated you have to run the app continually in the background with logging enabled. That's fine I guess but the guy didn't say anything about battery drain. Does it impact battery life on your phone very much?

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410

Some feel that the best video from these cameras may come from downconverting 4K to HD, which utilizes all of the color channels to derive HD video while native HD shooting only provides half of the color data.

Also keep in mind that shooting 4K video will require an 8MP crop from the center of the 12MP sensor, so you'll lose much of the wide angle field of view that shooting HD allows.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,585

mario64 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is an anniversary trip not a dedicated wildlife trip. One of the main things which attracted me to the FZ300 was the water and dust resistance as it is known to rain frequently in Alaska. Plus this camera gets great reviews overall. Is there another model I should consider instead? Definitely don't want anything bulkier or without some sort of weather protection

Am I reading correctly that 256GB cards aren't supported? That's a bummer. However, if 4K video really is no better then I'll just shoot at, what, 1080/60? Or would 30fps be preferred?

In theory, they should be supported. I imagine none were available when the FZ300 came out.

Note, in terms shooting 4K, the manual says that a 64GB card will only hold 1 hour and 20 minutes when recording 4K. That means a 256GB card will only hold 5 hours of video. But be prepared to edit the video, as I doubt anybody will want to sit through 5 hours.

Regarding GPS, I watched a video which indicated you have to run the app continually in the background with logging enabled. That's fine I guess but the guy didn't say anything about battery drain. Does it impact battery life on your phone very much?

Dunno, but using the GPS on my phone at all such as when I'm driving drains the battery (I have an older Samsung Galaxy S5).

In terms of increasing zoom, there are 3 options:

• i.zoom: I believe this does an in camera crop, trading resolution for image size;
  • digital zoom: In camera conversion (2x or 4x). IMHO, digital zoom is pretty bad on Panasonic cameras;
  • Use an external tele-converter (DMW-LA7 + DMW-LT55 or similar). This gives you a 1.7x increase in focal length.
 Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +20 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,185

mario64 wrote:

Hi all,

It probably would but why put all your eggs in one basket. Just looking at Amaozon UK - you could buy 4 x 64GB for less than teh cost of one 256GB.

U3 only specified as needed for 4K video. Also, being UHS I, the card is not really future-proofed for newer and faster cameras that'll probably support UHS II.  So, if only shooting HD, do you need 256GB. Would 2 x 64GB do.  I use 64GB cards and they take some filling - and I take a lot of shots, though little video.

WiFi transfer is slow, I wouldn't attempt it for video and am not sure it is actually supported since the Image App doesn't support RAW transfer.  For large volumes, buy the Apple SD card reader then you can transfer what you like at best possible speed.

4) I need to shoot pictures using JPG for easy transfer to iphone? If so, any particular quality settings I should use?

Always shoot best quality Jpeg and you may need to set the camera to transfer original quality when transferring using the Image App.

Can't help here. Never use GPS, even on the TZ60 that has built-in GPS. On a tour, the date and time EXIF is normally a very good indication of where I was.

Have a great trip.

mario

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +3 more

Thanks everyone for the great feedback

Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,278

You should, if you haven't yet, Watch the videos of Graham Houton. He knows a lot about this camera. And enjoy your trip.

https://youtu.be/iSY7gvbQXJg

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
NextShowForSure Contributing Member • Posts: 765

windmillgolfer wrote:

mario64 wrote:

Hi all,

It probably would but why put all your eggs in one basket. Just looking at Amaozon UK - you could buy 4 x 64GB for less than teh cost of one 256GB.

I endorse this.

I once lost a whole holiday in the Harz mountains on the one card when the camera was stolen at the end of it. You live and learn too late sometimes.

kkardster

NextShowForSure wrote:

windmillgolfer wrote:

mario64 wrote:

Hi all,

I endorse this.

I once lost a whole holiday in the Harz mountains on the one card when the camera was stolen at the end of it. You live and learn too late sometimes.

I also agree. I lost about a week's worth of once in a lifetime trip photos when I used a tablet to upload a few shots to social media. The tablet corrupted the card. I did get most of the photos back after spending money on a good (i. e. Not free) recovery program, but not all.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

(unknown member) New Member • Posts: 20

I shoot in JPEG and download to the phone where I store pictures in the iPhone for as long as needed but I back everything up to Google photos directly in the phone. The FZ300 downloads JPEG rapidly and easily anywhere using the Panasonic app . No internet connection necessary to get the photos safely into the phone .

This only works if you are content with JPEG.

Thanks again for the great feedback. If I may, a couple of follow-up questions:

1) Should I stay with 4K video for best possible quality or just go with 1080 for simplicity?

2) In the same vein, any recommendations on 30 vs 60fps? I understand that 30fps may be preferred?

kkardster

mario64 wrote:

1) Should I stay with 4K video for best possible quality or just go with 1080 for simplicity?

2) In the same vein, any recommendations on 30 vs 60fps? I understand that 30fps may be preferred?

Keep in mind the 60 fps will halve the available shutter speed when shooting in lower light. If you go with 4K you won't have the choice.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

kkardster

mario64 wrote:

Keep in mind that 60 fps will halve the available shutter speed when shooting in lower light. If you go with 4K you won't have the choice.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads