Ouch! Baby needs a new shutter (A77ii)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,044
Ouch! Baby needs a new shutter (A77ii)

The shutter (~35K clicks) on my A77ii gave it up a few days ago. There doesn't seem to be any big scratches or gouges on the sensor:

After filling out their form and including photos of the problem, I received the following repair estimate via email from Sony-authorized Photo Tech camera repair in NYC:

"We are Sony authorized and perform these repairs commonly. A repair for this issue and cleaning internally is considered a full overhaul repair and the cost for this is between $355 to $485 depending how many parts involved. A technician would perform an exact estimate within 2 business day and our repair turn around time is currently 7-10 working days providing we have all parts in stock. The repairs would come with a warranty and technicians are Sony trained and only use Sony original parts.

Email estimate is subject to re-estimate upon internal inspection, prices are subject to change. Prices are in addition to shipping and local taxes if applicable"

Having a shutter failure at 35K clicks is really disappointing, but as long as Photo Tech's overhaul doesn't find additional problems ~$500 is doable for me. I see Encompass currently has a shutter and even a whole mirrorbox in-stock. I might ask them to replace the top plate switch blocks too.

I'm currently shooting with A99ii and back-up A77.

I'll wait on repairs until Sony's rumored announcement of two new APS-C E-mount cameras at the end of August. This might complicate the decision - Sony always does this to me at exactly the right time.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II +33 more
Sony a77 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 3,947
Re: Ouch! Baby needs a new shutter (A77ii)

lehill wrote:

The shutter (~35K clicks) on my A77ii gave it up a few days ago. There doesn't seem to be any big scratches or gouges on the sensor:

After filling out their form and including photos of the problem, I received the following repair estimate via email from Sony-authorized Photo Tech camera repair in NYC:

"We are Sony authorized and perform these repairs commonly. A repair for this issue and cleaning internally is considered a full overhaul repair and the cost for this is between $355 to $485 depending how many parts involved. A technician would perform an exact estimate within 2 business day and our repair turn around time is currently 7-10 working days providing we have all parts in stock. The repairs would come with a warranty and technicians are Sony trained and only use Sony original parts.

Email estimate is subject to re-estimate upon internal inspection, prices are subject to change. Prices are in addition to shipping and local taxes if applicable"

Having a shutter failure at 35K clicks is really disappointing, but as long as Photo Tech's overhaul doesn't find additional problems ~$500 is doable for me. I see Encompass currently has a shutter and even a whole mirrorbox in-stock. I might ask them to replace the top plate switch blocks too.

I'm currently shooting with A99ii and back-up A77.

I'll wait on repairs until Sony's rumored announcement of two new APS-C E-mount cameras at the end of August. This might complicate the decision - Sony always does this to me at exactly the right time.

Bummer......shutters are like that - unpredictable!

You're probably correct in waiting it out to see what comes down the path.

-Martin P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosauraus_rex/

Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F4 G SSM
Alan_S
Alan_S Senior Member • Posts: 1,840
Re: Ouch! Baby needs a new shutter (A77ii)

Ouch indeed! On the note of waiting to see what Sony's up to... What are your thoughts on A7R4? A month ago I went through a similar thought process when my A99II w/version 1 Zeiss 24-70/2.8 attached came off the tripod, hit the pavement and separated on impact (lens mount & mirror box replaced in the body, zoom barrels replaced in the lens). It really got me to thinking -- I went ahead and got both repaired (with my Sony Pro Support 20% discount and insurance coverage it ended up being less than $300 out of pocket) but had it been a lesser model than A99II am thinking I would have went for the A7R4. With my investment in A-mount glass I have no inclination to ever "switch" to E-mount, but the A7R4 (coupled with the LA-EA3's new firmware) appears to me to be the first ever genuine "overall upgrade" to A99II, and a possible 1st step toward gradual transition/merger of my system with E-mount. I'll likely wait a year to see if A99III materializes (have two A99IIs and no "need" to upgrade), but Just curious your thoughts, as I'm seeing this new model as not only the the first camera (in any mount) that is an upgrade to A99II, but also a viable future path for my A-mount glass (most of it anyway, I only have one screw drive lens, the Minolta 600).

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads