M6 Mark II - first look

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
zonoskar Contributing Member • Posts: 511
Re: Effective vs Total megapixels: 32.2MP vs 25.8MP

LarsPolarBear wrote:

hmmm... I am a little confused... as far as I remember the total megapixel number is normally higher than the effective, or?

The spec. sheets says that the M6 II has a total megapixel number of 25.8MP and an effective of 32.8MP... how does that work? Am I missing something here?

Just as a comparison, the M6 Mk I has a total of 25.8MP and an effective number of 24.2MP.... almost looks someone was using the same template and did not update the "total number"... or the spec sheet is a hoax...

The spec sheet is a fake. 1:1 resolution is also wrong (6900x6900 is not possible). It's probably the M6's spec sheet with some details altered.

zonoskar's gear list:zonoskar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,572
Re: Pssst...

LarsPolarBear wrote:

quiquae wrote:

LarsPolarBear wrote:

quiquae wrote:

Abu Mahendra wrote:

...it's the lenses Canon. Show us the lenses. No, uncropped 4K at 60fps, Dual Pixel and competitive sensors will fall flat when most all M lenses are slow dogs.

But...but...if they release kick-ass lenses without good bodies, DPR writers will insert snide comments about there being no body fit for the lens every other sentence! How do you win?

..very simple... Release new lenses with new bodies...

I was at least hoping for a new kit lens, as a patent for a more compact kit had been leaked a while ago...

Would just wish that Sigma would do more for the M-mount, e.g. an APS-C version of its 100-400mm, that would be great...

Canon’s $150 wonder EF-S 55-250 STM is effectively an APS-C version of the 100-400. Works very well with the M series via the adapter.

..not when you are looking for 600mm eq. ...

Super-telephotos tend not to benefit as much from restricted sensor size as shorter lenses. For example, Fuji’s 100-400, which is APS-C only for obvious reasons, is actually larger than EF 100-400L2 (though somewhat lighter). Therefore, if 600mm equivalent is what you want, you should just buy an EF 100-400L2, or the smaller and slower Sigma/Tamron EF alternatives, instead of waiting for a dedicated EF-M version.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +10 more
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,480
Re: Pssst...

Abu Mahendra wrote:

...it's the lenses Canon. Show us the lenses. No, uncropped 4K at 60fps, Dual Pixel and competitive sensors will fall flat when most all M lenses are slow dogs.

Im looking at buying with one m lens

32 f1.4

51mn fov f2.2

-- hide signature --

>> I'm already lovin' my Canon 35IS lens! <<

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP +12 more
rrc1967 Contributing Member • Posts: 728
Re: M6 Mark II - first look

nnowak wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

Someone (or more than one person) in Canon Australia is out of a job.

A complete leak like this 10 days before release? I can't fathom how much money Canon spends on actual announcements. Sure some stuff is bound to leak out 1-2 days before hand like it always does - but this long in advance? from Canon themselves? ouch.

This is not a "leak". It is an intentional release to stir up interest and was done with the full knowledge of corporate. Every manufacturer has been using this tactic for a while now. Marketing just has to release a single web link and all of the camera blogs are on fire for days. Massive exposure for practically nothing and hopefully people will get whipped into a frenzy and preorder the minute after announcement.

No it isn't.

That's an internet myth.

0lf
0lf Senior Member • Posts: 1,219

LarsPolarBear wrote:

hmmm... I am a little confused... as far as I remember the total megapixel number is normally higher than the effective, or?

The spec. sheets says that the M6 II has a total megapixel number of 25.8MP and an effective of 32.8MP... how does that work? Am I missing something here?

Just as a comparison, the M6 Mk I has a total of 25.8MP and an effective number of 24.2MP.... almost looks someone was using the same template and did not update the "total number"... or the spec sheet is a hoax...

from the video

0lf's gear list:0lf's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X70 Canon G7 X II Apple iPhone 6s

zonoskar wrote:

LarsPolarBear wrote:

The spec sheet is a fake. 1:1 resolution is also wrong (6900x6900 is not possible). It's probably the M6's spec sheet with some details altered.

IMO. It's a draft. But yes. There are quite a few errors on that one and the 90D.

Which blow the intentional leak myth.

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,922

Biggest disappointments in my opinion:

- No IBIS (however, i didn't expect Canon to introduce this already now, and, the A6400 hasn't IBIS either)

-  minus 5 EV only for the center AF-point..... (why?)  I am more interested in sensitivity across the frame.....

Big improvement in my opinion:

- It seams you can use touch and drag using the external viewfinder. That eliminates the need for an internal viewfinder as long as you don't need to use speedlites using the viewfinder (which i do btw)

Things i don't care for, but what others will love:

- 4K uncropped (finally)

- 32Mp....

....this will only give you sharper pictures for cases you don't need a large DOF. With 24 Mp the diffraction at f/8.0 is already noticeable.

Furthermore i am not convinced if the AF can handle the need for so much precision as the 32mm f/1.4 had difficulties on my M50 using face tracking to have a hitrate any higher than 60% with the face perfectly in focus as far as noticeable at only 24Mp.

There are only a view native ef-m lenses capable to provide sufficient detail for 32Mp.

-22mm

-28mm

-32mm

the coming sigma f/1.4 primes with ef-m mount will also be up to the task. Other than that you will have to use adapted lenses to benefit from this Mp count.

I was surprised with the 14 fps while having the same processor as the M50 whyle it has this significant higher 32 Mp-count. Canon seams to squeeze more out of this processor in this camera. If the same would be true for AF performance that sounds really interesting!

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,987

Jefftan wrote:

is it true that all M camera has no EFCS so have shutter shock problem?

i just realize this and so have second thought buying one

i use Sony many years and even 2011 NEX-5N have EFCS

thanks

No shutter shock problems in 5 years of shooting with M and M6. So the answer to your question is no.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 +26 more
Photato
Photato Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
This M6 II needs crop modes baddly

A good use for this very high pixel count would be to have Live crop modes.

All Canon has to do is to enable a function to do 1:1 captures and live view readings when choosing smaller photo sizes and video, instead of reading the entire sensor and then resize.

Very convenient when shooting distant subjects, it helps with better exposure, AF, composition, WB, burst speed and file size.

I also hope that this new M6 let the user chose electronic shutter, a must for Time Lapse and Burst shooting.

Photato's gear list:Photato's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +10 more
Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,987

Richrf wrote:

No way would I buy a camera at $1200 without a great EVF. I think Sony or even Nikon will be able to do better at that price point. $899 tops and they can stuff their 32mp sensor if there is no decent way to compose a photo. I rather buy the M50. Sony is supposed to be announcing at the same time. Should be interesting. If I was Canon, I would stop crippling their cameras. They ain't doing that well in their sales and revenue departments.

The M6 has a great EVF, and it looks like the M6II does as well (the same one). It's detachable, which gives you the best of both worlds. The only thing the M5 had which I wanted in my M6 was touch and drag AF. It looks like the M6II has that. It seems you are uninformed. This camera doesn't look crippled at all. As for sales and revenue, I presume you are equally clueless about that.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon PowerShot S100 +26 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,138

Alastair Norcross wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

thanks

No shutter shock problems in 5 years of shooting with M and M6. So the answer to your question is no.

+ 1 . I've never had this issue and have not heard about it on this forum until now.

Jefftan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209

thunder storm wrote:

....this will only give you sharper pictures for cases you don't need a large DOF. With 24 Mp the diffraction at f/8.0 is already noticeable.

really? i don't notice that at f/8.0

hifi
hifi Senior Member • Posts: 2,567

A

dpeete wrote:

That looks great, and on par with the rumors here: https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-90d-another-confirmation-it-will-have-32mp-and-what-to-expect-from-canon/

1. Anybody able to explain the RAW burst mode and pre-shooting options? I see it referenced on the G7 MkIII marketing, but I am not clear on the practical benefits of "In RAW burst mode, shooting starts with the shutter halfway pressed, and “pre-shooting” is possible, which allows recording from up to about 0.5 seconds before the shutter is fully pressed"

Competition is great, glad to see Canon now offering this too.  IMO this is a game changer for certain types of photography: insects and birds in flight.  There are some YouTube videos / people that will explain this better than me, but basically it allows you to capture a burst of images without writing to the card unless you press the shutter, at which point the camera will record x number of pictures already in the buffer plus the next group of pictures after you have pressed it, allowing you to get the exact desired moment in time.  Or you can use the shots from the burst in a composite.  Even family stuff like getting the exact moment of blowing out the birthday candle etc.

hifi's gear list:hifi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Jefftan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,209

Dareshooter wrote:

Alastair Norcross wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

thanks

+ 1 . I've never had this issue and have not heard about it on this forum until now.

thanks

so no shutter shock but no EFCS is true, correct?

i wonder why Canon don't have EFCS to avoid potential shutter shock problem

thanks

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 2,922

Jefftan wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

I like pixel peeping.   It is not like at 32Mp you would have to delete every picture shot at f/8.0 because it is so soft.  And i can still live with 24Mp.

But for those worrying about the difference in sharpness between the ef-m 32mm f/1.4 and EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM  both at f/2.8 the diffraction of f/8.0 with 32Mp is a serious problem.

-- hide signature --

If your facts are different we could save the peace just by calling it copy to copy variation.

Jefftan wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

Alastair Norcross wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

thanks

thanks

so no shutter shock but no EFCS is true, correct?

i wonder why Canon don't have EFCS to avoid potential shutter shock problem

thanks

Canon cameras have had EFCS since the 40D in liveview mode.  The M's have had it as well.

hifi wrote:

A

dpeete wrote:

That looks great, and on par with the rumors here: https://www.canonwatch.com/canon-eos-90d-another-confirmation-it-will-have-32mp-and-what-to-expect-from-canon/

1. Anybody able to explain the RAW burst mode and pre-shooting options? I see it referenced on the G7 MkIII marketing, but I am not clear on the practical benefits of "In RAW burst mode, shooting starts with the shutter halfway pressed, and “pre-shooting” is possible, which allows recording from up to about 0.5 seconds before the shutter is fully pressed"

Competition is great, glad to see Canon now offering this too. IMO this is a game changer for certain types of photography: insects and birds in flight. There are some YouTube videos / people that will explain this better than me, but basically it allows you to capture a burst of images without writing to the card unless you press the shutter, at which point the camera will record x number of pictures already in the buffer plus the next group of pictures after you have pressed it, allowing you to get the exact desired moment in time. Or you can use the shots from the burst in a composite. Even family stuff like getting the exact moment of blowing out the birthday candle etc.

it sounds pretty cool, and it's certainly something i would NOT  have expected Canon to have put into the M's.

steelmouse3 Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: This M6 II needs crop modes baddly

Photato wrote:

A good use for this very high pixel count would be to have Live crop modes.

All Canon has to do is to enable a function to do 1:1 captures and live view readings when choosing smaller photo sizes and video, instead of reading the entire sensor and then resize.

My m50 does this. The menu shows me 3:2, 4:3, 16:9 and 1:1

You can also crop in camera afterwards

steelmouse3's gear list:steelmouse3's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD

thunder storm wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

I like pixel peeping. It is not like at 32Mp you would have to delete every picture shot at f/8.0 because it is so soft. And i can still live with 24Mp.

But for those worrying about the difference in sharpness between the ef-m 32mm f/1.4 and EF 35mm f/2.0 IS USM both at f/2.8 the diffraction of f/8.0 with 32Mp is a serious problem.

Canon has DLO, which assists to mitigate diffraction.

Also, this is only a problem if you are looking at the image at 100%, at the same F stops, same image to sensor magnification, and the same viewing distance, the 32Mp sensor will simply look better resolved.

steelmouse3 Forum Member • Posts: 52

The 90D leaked spec sheet is showing 1/8000 and 1/16000 (creative mode). But the m6ii only has 1/4000 (again leaked spec sheet which may be a draft).

Wonder why both can't have it.

steelmouse3's gear list:steelmouse3's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads