Ultra-wide lens for APS-C

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ed rader Veteran Member • Posts: 8,777
Re: Ultra-wide lens for APS-C

1Dx4me wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

Ed Rizk wrote:

The 10-18 wasn't out when I got my 60D, but everything I have read says the 10-22 is much better in every way except for stabilization. It was, by far, my favorite lens for business and pleasure. I don't think you can do better without going to. full frame. The Tokina is faster, but all my UWA shots were at F8 anyway. Sigma makes an 8-16, and wider is better, but it has this bizarre mustache distortion that is more noticeable and more difficult to correct than the other lenses.

I don't see 'moustache' distortion on the 8-16 as the real problem, the real problem is the aperture is so damn slow without stabilisation. It is very difficult to get handheld shots indoors with f5.6 on crop sensors.

People need to realise there are a lot of sloppily put together, mass produced ultrawide zooms for crop sensors, which means a lot of copy variation. Review sites complained about the consistency of this genre of lenses.

i disagree, if you have the cash for it, there is canon 16-35 f2.8 III that would take care of fast UW issue for you!

Many people don't realise the autofocus can be out and it still makes a big difference to image quality to an ultrawide. You won't be able to see a slightly out of focus shot through the viewfinder, because the scene has been reduced so much in size. You will certainly see the effect of inaccurate focus on the computer when the shot fills the screen. Then many of the inexperienced end up here to slate the lens.

I wouldn't condemn any crop ultrawide without testing the focus and centering properties carefully.

yeah but that would not be UW on crop.  there are so many options out there these days and so many people who just wanna whine.

ed rader's gear list:ed rader's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Tom59 Contributing Member • Posts: 946

I will throw in another vote for the Tokina 11-20 for a modest priced UWA for crop. Have been pleased with the copy I have. Sharp, nice color and contrast. Works well on the 80d. Have the 10 -18 also but feel the Tokina is better overall. Only nitpick I have with it is the funky push pull clutch mechanism for swapping Manual to Auto focus/vice versa. Works ok, just takes a little getting used to. Lot of reviews state that lens flare is an issue also. Ive yet to have that issue. They added a different coating than the previou 11-16 model to address this. Suppose if I took a pic directly at the sun it may flare some!! Also if you dabble in Astro it does well in that field also. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Another note. You can put the Tokina on a FF body and use it between 16 and 20mm with no vignetting.

1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,462

ed rader wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

Ed Rizk wrote:

The 10-18 wasn't out when I got my 60D, but everything I have read says the 10-22 is much better in every way except for stabilization. It was, by far, my favorite lens for business and pleasure. I don't think you can do better without going to. full frame. The Tokina is faster, but all my UWA shots were at F8 anyway. Sigma makes an 8-16, and wider is better, but it has this bizarre mustache distortion that is more noticeable and more difficult to correct than the other lenses.

I don't see 'moustache' distortion on the 8-16 as the real problem, the real problem is the aperture is so damn slow without stabilisation. It is very difficult to get handheld shots indoors with f5.6 on crop sensors.

People need to realise there are a lot of sloppily put together, mass produced ultrawide zooms for crop sensors, which means a lot of copy variation. Review sites complained about the consistency of this genre of lenses.

i disagree, if you have the cash for it, there is canon 16-35 f2.8 III that would take care of fast UW issue for you!

Many people don't realise the autofocus can be out and it still makes a big difference to image quality to an ultrawide. You won't be able to see a slightly out of focus shot through the viewfinder, because the scene has been reduced so much in size. You will certainly see the effect of inaccurate focus on the computer when the shot fills the screen. Then many of the inexperienced end up here to slate the lens.

I wouldn't condemn any crop ultrawide without testing the focus and centering properties carefully.

yeah but that would not be UW on crop. there are so many options out there these days and so many people who just wanna whine.

true, the wide end would be 26mm, not much. however, a canon 11-24 f40 L USM might do the job, IMO.  whine indeed

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

i never got into mixing 3rd market lenses with canon cameras, no matter how good! sooner or later you'll regret doing that!

-- hide signature --

gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,971

Octopuss wrote:

Going full frame would be a solution if the damn cameras weren't so expensive

Not really, assuming you are OK with buying used?  There are several outstanding FF cameras you can buy for only a little more $$ than the lenses you are considering.  FF is no longer just for the wealthy!

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +10 more

1Dx4me wrote:

i never got into mixing 3rd market lenses with canon cameras, no matter how good! sooner or later you'll regret doing that!

Why is that?

Tom59 wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

Why is that?

hi Tom,

it has to be the reverse engineering of the 3rd party lenses to make them compatible with canon cameras but not quite completely! my only sigma macro lens, 150mm f2.8 non-IS is pretty much useless (AF hunts like heck),  when i use it with my canon cameras. it was ok with my 40D and 5D but not with my 1dmk4 and 1Dx. and i hear similar complaints regarding all 3rd party lenses quite a bit in this forum. i have nothing against 3rd party lenses but i hate to spend money on lenses that will cause focus issues later with newer canon cameras! in fact, my sigma 150mm macro lens is pretty decent except for the AF!

-- hide signature --

1Dx4me wrote:

Tom59 wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

Why is that?

hi Tom,

it has to be the reverse engineering of the 3rd party lenses to make them compatible with canon cameras but not quite completely! my only sigma macro lens, 150mm f2.8 non-IS is pretty much useless (AF hunts like heck), when i use it with my canon cameras. it was ok with my 40D and 5D but not with my 1dmk4 and 1Dx. and i hear similar complaints regarding all 3rd party lenses quite a bit in this forum. i have nothing against 3rd party lenses but i hate to spend money on lenses that will cause focus issues later with newer canon cameras! in fact, my sigma 150mm macro lens is pretty decent except for the AF!

I hear ya!  I try to stay with native lenses also.  But sometimes just not feasible unless you hit the lottery!  Have 2 3rd party lenses and so far no issues with any of the 3 bodies I use.  Maybe a firmware update with ur lenses would help if available?

Octopuss
OP Octopuss Regular Member • Posts: 272

1Dx4me wrote:

I used to have the bloody Sigma 18-35mm Art. It wouldn't focus for sh*t, and no matter what I did it missed focus on good 30% of photos. I even had it replaced two times, and all three lenses behaved the same way. Useless!

I bought 85mm Art off Ebay because I felt adventurous (and I needed something for portraits), and I hope it will be much better in this regard (when it arrives).

Octopuss's gear list:Octopuss's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art
Octopuss

gipper51 wrote:

Octopuss wrote:

Not really, assuming you are OK with buying used? There are several outstanding FF cameras you can buy for only a little more $$ than the lenses you are considering. FF is no longer just for the wealthy!

That's the problem. I don't feel like buying old cameras. Of course it would get the job done, but... this must be a negative side effect of being an IT guy. I just can't be happy with 5 years or so old technology.

The 6d mkII could be viable purchase, but the few times I checked some reviews, I got the impression it wasn't particularly good camera.

Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art
jvc1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,506

Octopuss wrote:

I used to have the bloody Sigma 18-35mm Art. It wouldn't focus for sh*t, and no matter what I did it missed focus on good 30% of photos. I even had it replaced two times, and all three lenses behaved the same way. Useless!

Did you update the firmware? I held off buying the 18-35 until Sigma released the update. Before the update the viewfinder AF was very inconsistent, after, very consistent. It's actually an amazing lens.

I keep some of my favorite pictures here,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129958940@N03/

jvc1's gear list:jvc1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more
Octopuss

I either did or there weren't any updates. I can't remember, it's been three years.
All three lenses behaved exactly the same.
I heard claims it was only the Canon variant that was misfocusing (so much).

MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,752

Octopuss wrote:

gipper51 wrote:

Octopuss wrote:

Not really, assuming you are OK with buying used? There are several outstanding FF cameras you can buy for only a little more $$ than the lenses you are considering. FF is no longer just for the wealthy!

That's the problem. I don't feel like buying old cameras. Of course it would get the job done, but... this must be a negative side effect of being an IT guy. I just can't be happy with 5 years or so old technology.

The 6d mkII could be viable purchase, but the few times I checked some reviews, I got the impression it wasn't particularly good camera.

There's no doubt that if you are a wide angle fan, full frame is the way to go.
I don't know what "reviews" you have read, but most 6DII owners are very satisfied. I have difficulty in telling the 6DII results from those from my 5DIV.
I have the Canon EF-S10-22 that I use on my 80D and the results are excellent. I've also tried the Sigma 8-16, and of two examples, neither were very sharp compared to the 10-22 at the same focal length.
The full frame equivalent of the 10-22 is the 16-35 f4L, which is a truly superb lens, and is my "go to" wide angle on my full frame cameras.
If you want to go even wider, there is the 14mm F2.8L, which is somewhat prone to flare, and the 8-15 f4L fisheye, which is amazing if you don't mind the distortion, but can also be "de-fished" in software.

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,730

Octopuss wrote:

You got the wrong impression

The 6D ii is a very capable camera that most actual users are pretty happy with. Lots of the early "reviews" and comments were from morons who were spec sheet junkies who had never actually touched one, and from people who were expecting a compact 5D iv at 80D prices.

The launch price was excessively high as well, which also created a negative impression with many.

Colin

Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
Octopuss

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-review/4

The cons seem fairly substantial to me.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 15,065

Octopuss wrote:

The 10-22 doesn't seem to be any better, maybe even slightly worse.

The 10-22 was the best EF-S lens I used in my crop days. UWAs can be tricky, you would think that the deep DOF in typical conditions would allow you to focus just anywhere in the frame but this is not true. They may have noticeable field curvature as well.

BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,809

I think there is a tendency to lose the forest for the trees.  In actual use it is a fantastic camera despite the big list of cons.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Octopuss

I guess so. My lackluster skills haven't outgrown the 80D yet though, so I might just wait for mk III, if this line isn't killed off just like 7D.

davel33 Senior Member • Posts: 1,886

The answer is very simple  get a Canon RP and use the 16-35 f4 you already have.  Its about the  same cost as getting a GOOD UW for your 80D but this way you have a FAR better camera.  I cant see why you have not already done this.

-- hide signature --

"Just one more Lens, I promise....."
Dave

davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +21 more
kreygscott
kreygscott Senior Member • Posts: 1,234

Dareshooter wrote:

Canon also has a 10-22mm. I've no idea if it's a better lens than the 10-18mm though.FWIW I tried two 10-18 MM and they were dreadful lenses,put me off ultra wides altogether,had pretty much the same experiences as you.

I can confirm the Canon 10-22mm is an excellent lens and though expensive for it's age is worth every penny.

https://www.kreygscott.com/blog/2018/10/25/my-gear-1

-- hide signature --

LANDSCAPE, TRAVEL & OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY
My Website
http://kreygscott.com
My Stock Portfolio
http://shutterstock.com/g/kreygscottphotography
My Blog
https://www.kreygscott.com/blog

kreygscott's gear list:kreygscott's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads