Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

Started Aug 19, 2019 | Discussions
Awesomeandrew New Member • Posts: 1
Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

I placed an order on a used amazon warehouse ‘good’ condition Ricoh griii at $836 with tax. I have another day to cancel, wondering if you guys would have bought it new at $960 or so out the door or take a chance on a possibly lightly scratched used one? I’m sure mine would look the same eventually but the pictures aren’t too clear. I can afford a new one just wondering if I made the right decision and what you guys would do, might have to spring for a new one. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks!

Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ned-B
Ned-B Senior Member • Posts: 1,825
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?
5

Awesomeandrew wrote:

I placed an order on a used amazon warehouse ‘good’ condition Ricoh griii at $836 with tax. I have another day to cancel, wondering if you guys would have bought it new at $960 or so out the door or take a chance on a possibly lightly scratched used one? I’m sure mine would look the same eventually but the pictures aren’t too clear. I can afford a new one just wondering if I made the right decision and what you guys would do, might have to spring for a new one. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks!

I’m always leery about those warehouse “good” condition units.

Best deal I know of in the states is Popflash Photos GRIII with a battery charger and a spare battery for $888 which is only a few dollars more. I’ve done business with them for years. Great folks, great service.

https://www.popflash.com/15039/

Ned

 Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Jmitch Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

Andrew: I think Ned offers good advice. You should have at least one spare DB-110 battery ($40). As delivered,  you charge the battery in camera. It is your choice but I prefer using the external BJ-11 charger ($50). That way the camera is not out of service while the battery is charging. It looks like the PopFlash offer is a good deal and you would have a new camera. Like Ned, I have used PopFlash and would recommend them.

Martin JC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

Awesomeandrew wrote:

I placed an order on a used amazon warehouse ‘good’ condition Ricoh griii at $836 with tax. I have another day to cancel, wondering if you guys would have bought it new at $960 or so out the door or take a chance on a possibly lightly scratched used one? I’m sure mine would look the same eventually but the pictures aren’t too clear. I can afford a new one just wondering if I made the right decision and what you guys would do, might have to spring for a new one. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks!

I woulnitfor reasons said above ...

 Martin JC's gear list:Martin JC's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill
rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,277
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?
3

Awesomeandrew wrote:

I placed an order on a used amazon warehouse ‘good’ condition Ricoh griii at $836 with tax. I have another day to cancel, wondering if you guys would have bought it new at $960 or so out the door or take a chance on a possibly lightly scratched used one? I’m sure mine would look the same eventually but the pictures aren’t too clear. I can afford a new one just wondering if I made the right decision and what you guys would do, might have to spring for a new one. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks!

Chances are more than few “new” cameras bought through Amazon are lighty used thanks to their liberal return policy. Based on countless stories heard on this forum and elsewhere, they do repack and sell them as new.

Many reputable photography stores do the very same. I once had a short exchange with one of the ambassadors of a very famous store here, and he wasn’t able to deny that the returned merchandise wouldn’t be sold as new.

It’s interesting that Popflash was recommended above: they do have a much stricter return policy, and as far as I’m concerned this is a good thing. Camera purchases shouldn’t be used for trying a camera. I have bought from Popflash in the past and they have been excellent to deal with.

Azimuth Jones
Azimuth Jones Regular Member • Posts: 317
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

Ned-B wrote:

Best deal I know of in the states is Popflash Photos GRIII with a battery charger and a spare battery for $888

Now $908. 

maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 1,876
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

I got an excellent deal on my gr from amazon years ago used with additional 20% discount in perfect condition.

However amazon are just so bad for cameras and lenses, it's a lottery. they even sent me a used lens in the right box but wrong lens inside.....

morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,742
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

I wouldn't buy a used camera at such a small discount. Who knows how the used one was (mal)treated? I guess that's why I'm waiting for a new one to arrive tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

David
pbase.com/morepix

 morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V
morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,742
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

I think I was late in fielding my opinion Anyway, I’d like to learn what you did and how it’s working out so far -- and I’m hoping it's well.

-- hide signature --

David
pbase.com/morepix

 morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V
jsevidon
jsevidon Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

Amazon has been known to sell gray market without disclosing it. If it needs service by Ricoh, they will only service if sold new in the U.S.

Same as all the other camera companies. So check it out first, if possible.

 jsevidon's gear list:jsevidon's gear list
Ricoh GR II Leica M Typ 240 Leica CL +2 more
Bejersey
Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 14,049
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

I just purchased a GR III at KEH.Com   In 90-96% excellent cond. With 6 moths warranty and a two week return policy. They are an excellent company to deal with. I paid $823.00

Rick

jsevidon wrote:

Amazon has been known to sell gray market without disclosing it. If it needs service by Ricoh, they will only service if sold new in the U.S.

Same as all the other camera companies. So check it out first, if possible.

 Bejersey's gear list:Bejersey's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
jsevidon
jsevidon Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?
1

Bejersey wrote:

I just purchased a GR III at KEH.Com In 90-96% excellent cond. With 6 moths warranty and a two week return policy. They are an excellent company to deal with. I paid $823.00

Rick

I completely agree. KEH always under-rates the condition of their products. IMO, if they say it's excellent, it is probably EX+ with any other vendor.

 jsevidon's gear list:jsevidon's gear list
Ricoh GR II Leica M Typ 240 Leica CL +2 more
Bejersey
Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 14,049
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

Plus it had 672 shutter actuations

Rick

jsevidon wrote:

Bejersey wrote:

I just purchased a GR III at KEH.Com In 90-96% excellent cond. With 6 moths warranty and a two week return policy. They are an excellent company to deal with. I paid $823.00

Rick

I completely agree. KEH always under-rates the condition of their products. IMO, if they say it's excellent, it is probably EX+ with any other vendor.

 Bejersey's gear list:Bejersey's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,887
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

Hello

have you had a GR before ?

because you might want to consider a GRII new which is about 300 use less. if you do not print often and big prints the 16MP of the GRII are plenty enough and the model II is more customisable and has several useful controls which were taken off the new model

H

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +8 more
Bejersey
Bejersey Forum Pro • Posts: 14,049
Re: Should I buy this Ricoh GRIII Used at this price?

I bought it already. Yes I've had the GR and GRD which are superb.

Rick

Harold66 wrote:

Hello

have you had a GR before ?

because you might want to consider a GRII new which is about 300 use less. if you do not print often and big prints the 16MP of the GRII are plenty enough and the model II is more customisable and has several useful controls which were taken off the new model

H

 Bejersey's gear list:Bejersey's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads