New camera

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
KShaneH New Member • Posts: 10
New camera

I've had a Canon 550d since it came out and am currently looking to upgrade to something newer. Am I wasting my time looking at Canon (77D) or Nikon (7500D) APS-C cameras? I keep reading here about how they are abandoning the APS-C DSLR format in favor of FF mirrorless. I like the smaller, lighter cameras and lenses (not to mention I can't really afford the whole FF schema), but am a bit worried I'll be buying a system for which an updated lens will never be made.

KShaneH's gear list:KShaneH's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ronan_M
Ronan_M Senior Member • Posts: 1,526
Re: New camera

Cannot comment on the lens lineup (which might be a valid concern) but from a camera format PoV, my thoughts are:

- In terms of quality, there is minimal difference between the FX and DX formats. If you HAVE TO HAVE the ultimate in IQ, then perhaps paying a premium for FX might be justifiable, but in practical terms, DX IQ is good enough for almost everything

- While many manufacturers jumped (and others are jumping) into the FX wagon, some others are not. Fuji is the most notable of  them. They have DX (APS-C) and Medium Format and skipped FX altogether.

- My understanding (of the rumours floating around) is that Nikon will release its own DX mirrorless cameras soon. I dont think DX is going away anytime soon

- The D7500 (and 7200 and 7100) are a great series of cameras and you would not short-change yourself if you go down that route

Cheers

hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,385

You have a budget and you have two perfectly respectable options for new camera listed. Both of these have mature lens lineups. Are there specific lenses sorely needing update that are holding you back? Your pattern is obviously not to purchase a marginally changed replacement model every one or two years. Release patterns as seen in the likes of Sony RX/a7 and Apple watch demonstrate that these tech items are definitely not investments!  You are not missing the chance for an update. If you again think of replacement in maybe five years instead of nine you have given the market time to settle, will still have a fine camera producing images not easily distinguishable from some new FF MILC, and may be in a position budget wise for more options.

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,976

KShaneH wrote:

I've had a Canon 550d since it came out and am currently looking to upgrade to something newer. Am I wasting my time looking at Canon (77D) or Nikon (7500D) APS-C cameras? I keep reading here about how they are abandoning the APS-C DSLR format in favor of FF mirrorless. I like the smaller, lighter cameras and lenses (not to mention I can't really afford the whole FF schema), but am a bit worried I'll be buying a system for which an updated lens will never be made.

What do you mean, "an updated lens"? Which lens are you worried about? In the Nikon world, if you get a "DX" lens (which you call "APS-C"), it will fit and work on both DX and FX ("FF in your lingo), although on FX there are some limitations on whet you see in the viewfinder. If you get an FX lens, it will work on both. There are literally hundreds of available lenses, both Nikon brand and third party.

And so far, Nikon has already released FX mirrorless cameras that work with non-mirrorless lenses with an adapter (again with some limitations), and rumors have it that they will also release DX mirrorless cameras, presumably they will keep a system that works with both FX and DX lenses.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,152

All my DSLR's have been DX, and the D500 has simply been an amazing camera for me and countless others. If something were to happen to it that would not be repairable, I would get another one in a blink. That said, if I were younger (I'm past mid 70's now) I might be wondering if Nikon intends on running and servicing two different mounts for too much longer. I'm sure they will service and produce F-mount gear for a long time, but will they continue to introduce new F-mount cameras and upgrade F-mount lenses alongside the new S-mount mirrorless cameras and lenses?

Arnie

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +3 more
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 3,098

I recommend that you limit your reading on a website for photography gearheads. The main focus on DPR is the "latest and greatest" gear and the perpetual search for optical perfection, which is a pointless exercise IMO. That's not to say that their isn't good info to be found here, just try to avoid getting infected with the upgradeitis that permeates this place.

The good news for folks like you is that there are plenty of lightly-used cameras and glass available from people who have upgraded their gear. You can enjoy your hobby producing excellent quality pics without maxing-out your credit card. Trying out something to see if it fits your needs and shooting style is relatively risk-free and you can see for yourself how a camera feels vs. relying on other folks' opinions. If you happen to buy a camera or lens that doesn't float your cork, you can turnaround and sell it at little or no loss. (Heck, if you got a good buy you might realize a little profit.)

Lately I have been visiting other photography websites with a different take on our craft and the whole gear/tech thing. . . Ming Thein's blog is my favorite, a nice blend of technology, technique and philosophy. Here are a couple of relatively recent articles that your post brought to mind:

Bigger isn’t always better, or why you can’t see the difference most of the time

Review: The Nikon D5500 (or, a solution to the compact 50-e problem)

OP KShaneH New Member • Posts: 10

n057 wrote:

KShaneH wrote:

What do you mean, "an updated lens"? Which lens are you worried about? In the Nikon world, if you get a "DX" lens (which you call "APS-C"), it will fit and work on both DX and FX ("FF in your lingo), although on FX there are some limitations on whet you see in the viewfinder. If you get an FX lens, it will work on both. There are literally hundreds of available lenses, both Nikon brand and third party.

And so far, Nikon has already released FX mirrorless cameras that work with non-mirrorless lenses with an adapter (again with some limitations), and rumors have it that they will also release DX mirrorless cameras, presumably they will keep a system that works with both FX and DX lenses.

JC

Well, when I bought the 550D, the 18-135 was new and was replaced many years later by a newer version (18-135STM) that is generally regarded as sharper and faster focusing.  So, I'm assuming over the next 10 years, technology and manufacturing advances will make better lenses possible, and so was thinking of what happens if my new camera company stops making new lenses.  I get there is a lot of good stuff out there now.  Adapters might help, but I'm not sure existing DX lenses will work on the newer FF mirrorless?

KSH

Canon EOS 90D
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,976

KShaneH wrote:

n057 wrote:

KShaneH wrote:

JC

Well, when I bought the 550D, the 18-135 was new and was replaced many years later by a newer version (18-135STM) that is generally regarded as sharper and faster focusing. So, I'm assuming over the next 10 years, technology and manufacturing advances will make better lenses possible, and so was thinking of what happens if my new camera company stops making new lenses. I get there is a lot of good stuff out there now. Adapters might help, but I'm not sure existing DX lenses will work on the newer FF mirrorless?

KSH

At this point, since Nikon has not released their plan for DX mirrorless, we can only assume that those will use the same mount as FX mirrorless, in which case your existing DX lenses will work.

Nikon has gone to great lengths to keep some compatibility in their lens mount. Canon APS-C lenses do not fit on Canon FF cameras, although you can use Canon FF lenses on APS-C cameras, Nikon has decided to use the same mount for FX and DX.

There is only one mount for Nikon DSLR cameras, the "F" mount. Generally speaking Nikon DX lenses fit and work in FX cameras, and Nikon FX lenses fit and work on DX cameras. This is both a blessing and a curse, because as a result Nikon did not bother to deliver too many DX lenses, since FX lenses work very well.

The mirrorless cameras have a new mount, called the "Z" mount. In order to use existing "F" mount lenses, Nikon put out an FTZ ("F" To "Z") adapter. Put that on your mirrorless, and then you can mount all your existing "F" mount lenses on the new camera. With some limitations. Generally speaking though, you are not left high and dry.

The only thing is, after a few years, do not expect Nikon to come out with newer "F" mount lenses. Their plan is to go with "Z" mount, with an adapter so your existing "F" mount can still be used.

JC

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,906

KShaneH wrote:

n057 wrote:

KShaneH wrote:

JC

Well, when I bought the 550D, the 18-135 was new and was replaced many years later by a newer version (18-135STM) that is generally regarded as sharper and faster focusing. So, I'm assuming over the next 10 years, technology and manufacturing advances will make better lenses possible, and so was thinking of what happens if my new camera company stops making new lenses. I get there is a lot of good stuff out there now. Adapters might help, but I'm not sure existing DX lenses will work on the newer FF mirrorless?

KSH

Probably not functional, while some F Mount DX works with FX bodies.

Sigma and Tamron makes DX lenses, in addition to Nikon. Should suffice, don't you think.?!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of 1 Canon, 1 Olympus, 1 Pentax, 1 Ricoh, 1 Sony, and a lot of Nikon, cameras.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,906

arniebook wrote:

All my DSLR's have been DX, and the D500 has simply been an amazing camera for me and countless others. If something were to happen to it that would not be repairable, I would get another one in a blink. That said, if I were younger (I'm past mid 70's now) I might be wondering if Nikon intends on running and servicing two different mounts for too much longer. I'm sure they will service and produce F-mount gear for a long time, but will they continue to introduce new F-mount cameras and upgrade F-mount lenses alongside the new S-mount mirrorless cameras and lenses?

Arnie

Nikon Rumors speak about a D7500 II with IBIS (hopefully). I'd love owning that!

Just a few years younger,

Tord

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of 1 Canon, 1 Olympus, 1 Pentax, 1 Ricoh, 1 Sony, and a lot of Nikon, cameras.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 1,772

KShaneH wrote:

n057 wrote:

KShaneH wrote:

JC

so was thinking of what happens if my new camera company stops making new lenses.

When you'll sense that the and is near you can sell your gear and buy mirrorless like most other people will probably do.

Right now, DSLRs, whether FF or APS-C provide the best bang for the buck and have the greatest lens selection.

I think your best bet right now is buying a DSLR. Nikon and Canon mirrorless are immature and lack lenses. Fuji APS-C and Sony FF are better, but lenses are pretty expensive.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +3 more
JD28 New Member • Posts: 18

I am a big proponent of the notion that you should buy to meet your needs in the immediate and not try to predict the direction of the camera market. It does appear that all the major manufacturers are shifting their focus towards mirrorless FF, but for my money, I'll take a great current system with a huge catalog of both first- and third-party lenses (DX and FX) over the possibility of having something great in 3-4 years.

To put a personal spin on it: I'm in my 20's, so health and life permitting I'll have many years of shooting and many camera purchases ahead of me. The system I'm in now will likely influence many of those purchasing decisions in the future. This past December, I had saved up a couple thousand dollars to put into some new gear, and when considering all the options in front of me -- all the market momentum, the push towards mirrorless, the release of the Z/R systems, the A7III, etc. -- I ended up going with the D500. Why? Because it felt the best in my hand and had a bunch of great glass and accessories available now. Is it the most "future proof?" Of course not. But will I (again, health and life permitting) get 3 or 4 great years out of it at the minimum? You bet, and for me, that's what matters.

So that's my advice: if you want to take pictures now, go out and find something that meets your needs and budget now, and don't worry so much about what's coming next. New cameras will always be in the pipeline, and you can drive yourself mad chasing that urge!

Best of luck to you!

nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,589

JD28 wrote:

I am a big proponent of the notion that you should buy to meet your needs in the immediate and not try to predict the direction of the camera market. It does appear that all the major manufacturers are shifting their focus towards mirrorless FF, but for my money, I'll take a great current system with a huge catalog of both first- and third-party lenses (DX and FX) over the possibility of having something great in 3-4 years.

To put a personal spin on it: I'm in my 20's, so health and life permitting I'll have many years of shooting and many camera purchases ahead of me. The system I'm in now will likely influence many of those purchasing decisions in the future. This past December, I had saved up a couple thousand dollars to put into some new gear, and when considering all the options in front of me -- all the market momentum, the push towards mirrorless, the release of the Z/R systems, the A7III, etc. -- I ended up going with the D500. Why? Because it felt the best in my hand and had a bunch of great glass and accessories available now. Is it the most "future proof?" Of course not. But will I (again, health and life permitting) get 3 or 4 great years out of it at the minimum? You bet, and for me, that's what matters.

So that's my advice: if you want to take pictures now, go out and find something that meets your needs and budget now, and don't worry so much about what's coming next. New cameras will always be in the pipeline, and you can drive yourself mad chasing that urge!

Best of luck to you!

Well said.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
OP KShaneH New Member • Posts: 10

Thanks.  Appreciate your thoughts.  I'm more or less of this view too.  But I've had my current system almost a decade and was maybe overthinking the future.  Pretty sure whatever I buy will have lenses available for 10 years and lots of good cameras out there.

Canon EOS 90D
RedEssence New Member • Posts: 14

Even if camera manufacturers stopped making new lenses altogether, I wouldn't even care that much, as long as I can continue to get existing lenses. Both Canon and Nikon have an amazing lens selection (first and third party) that chances are very slim you won't be satisfied with what they have. Just get an APS-C DLSR or mirrorless, or even a micro 4/3rds, and you'll enjoy years with it without the decisions of camera manufacturers affecting one single moment.

NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 3,873

My car is a 2011. It doesn't have a backup camera, or bluetooth, or blind spot warning, etc. Yet it is completely reliable, I drive it every day, and it gets me where I want to go.

Cameras are similar. Many upgrades are more about bells and whistles that true improvements. The FF advantage carries a higher price tag and commits you to buying all FF lenses in the future.

If you cross FF off your list, then APS-C cameras have a lot going for them. They are smaller and lighter. Lenses can be smaller, lighter, and cheaper. Or, you can benefit from higher end FF glass if you choose. With skilled use it will produce amazing images and it will work fine for years to come.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads