HDR in a Suffolk church with RX10iv

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Rachael P
Rachael P Contributing Member • Posts: 536
HDR in a Suffolk church with RX10iv

I had previously taken some shots inside our local church, but (a) I didn't have a tripod with me, so needed high ISO for hand-held, and (b) there is huge dynamic range, which I wasn't able to capture. So since the church was open today, and it was intermittently sunny, I went back this afternoon for another try.
This was just using exposure bracketing, and doing the HDR in Lightroom in PP, rather than the in-camera HDR function.

I am pretty impressed, even though for some of them I hadn't included sufficiently fast shots to fill in all of the washed-out areas.

East window

It's a very compact little church, dating from the 14th century

West window, font, bell-ropes (in front of window) and two panels with the ten commandments

Our lovely little organ...

I got a little carried away with the figures on the pews

-- hide signature --

Rachael

Rachael P's gear list:Rachael P's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +3 more
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,460
Re: HDR in a Suffolk church with RX10iv

I must immediately say that, while the photographs are great, I consider them to be totally overshadowed by the subject. What a wonderful little piece of history and what a blessing to be able to attend a church like that.

I sometimes find the comment "thanks for sharing" a touch trite, but I cannot imagine anything more true and appropriate to say in this case. Love it!

And only after I wrote it did the irony of using the word "overshadowed" in an HDR thread occur to me...

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901

Hi,

just looking from the technical side I'd be curious to know about the lighting conditions because I'm under the impression that no specific HDR would be necessary. Just shooting RAW with perhaps some slight shadow lifting and certainly some highlight recovery in the windows sections. Perhaps I'm wrong - as a result of a very sensitive HDR processing which doesn't cry out "HDR-processed".

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Rachael P
OP Rachael P Contributing Member • Posts: 536

AlwynS wrote:

I must immediately say that, while the photographs are great, I consider them to be totally overshadowed by the subject. What a wonderful little piece of history and what a blessing to be able to attend a church like that.

I sometimes find the comment "thanks for sharing" a touch trite, but I cannot imagine anything more true and appropriate to say in this case. Love it!

And only after I wrote it did the irony of using the word "overshadowed" in an HDR thread occur to me...

Many thanks Alwyn, that's very much appreciated!

Regards

-- hide signature --

Rachael

Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R III Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +3 more
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,130

Very nice, imagine EVERYTHING is made by hands.

Extreme nice piece of craftmanship.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
Rachael P

Michael Fritzen wrote:

Hi,

just looking from the technical side I'd be curious to know about the lighting conditions because I'm under the impression that no specific HDR would be necessary. Just shooting RAW with perhaps some slight shadow lifting and certainly some highlight recovery in the windows sections. Perhaps I'm wrong - as a result of a very sensitive HDR processing which doesn't cry out "HDR-processed".

Thanks Michael,

The lighting was partly cloudy outside, but entirely natural lighting indoors -- no artificial light at all. So all the light comes in through the relatively few windows, most of which have stained glass. So fairly low light levels -- autoexposure was about 1/40 at f/4 and ISO 100.   But as you can see in some of the shots, where the light does come in, you get some very bright sunlight patches on the walls. And equally, there are some very dark corners, and the wood is very dark, so that the grain and carving only really show when the exposure is lifted there.

You may well be right about working from a single RAW, although I think it would have to be quite a lot underexposed to retain the details in the stained glass -- something I didn't really manage (see below), and I wonder if the RX10 has the dynamic range needed to recover shadow details once you start from that point. I have tried before in other churches -- see the few below for some shots from Kings Lynn a year or so back, with the same camera, and I agree you can do quite a lot from the RAW, but it's a challenge!

I have never tried HDR before, so just used the bracketing feature. Most of the shots were 5 exposures but typically only 0.7 EV per step. Since I did my research after the fact rather than before, I suspect I didn't make the steps big enough. So that is why the windows tend still to be blown out -- I'll go back next week (if sunny) and do some more experiments.

It's good to keep learning...

-- hide signature --

Rachael

Rachael P

splashy wrote:

Very nice, imagine EVERYTHING is made by hands.

Extreme nice piece of craftmanship.

It's a beautiful place to spend an hour or two...

-- hide signature --

Rachael

Reto B
Reto B Contributing Member • Posts: 523

These are all very nice, Rachael! And you also processed them very well indeed. Very good job!

Reto

Reto B's gear list:Reto B's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7R III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +6 more
Rachael P

Reto B wrote:

These are all very nice, Rachael! And you also processed them very well indeed. Very good job!

Reto

Many thanks Reto, you are very kind to a learner!

Regards

-- hide signature --

Rachael

Reto B
Reto B Contributing Member • Posts: 523

Rachael P wrote:

Reto B wrote:

Reto

Many thanks Reto, you are very kind to a learner!

Regards

If you consider yourself a learner (what we all are anyway), you ceretainly are an advanced one as your beautiful images show!

Reto B's gear list:Reto B's gear list
Sony a7S Sony a7R III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +6 more
66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 3,452

Very nice!

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 +1 more
Rachael P

66GTO wrote:

Very nice!

Thank you!

One of the nice things about this forum is that we each get to see each other's world a little... I love it.

-- hide signature --

Rachael

Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,901

Rachael P wrote:

.. and I wonder if the RX10 has the dynamic range needed to recover shadow details once you start from that point...

Here you are on to something. Shooting myself an RX100Mk1, an RX10Mk1 and Mk3 besides an A99II the DR of the small sensor is certainly a limiting factor of the otherwise extraordinary cams - which show in extreme contrast situations in some of the shown photos. But for me the shadow recovery usually is less critical than the sudden clipping in the highlights. Here I see noticeable advantages of the bigger sensor cams.

Other than that I'm a big fan of maintaining shadows as shadows and dark as dark: the preservation of the scene's contrasts. IF there's something in the shadows to "reveal" then better to put some light there

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads