Canon lenses and a7riv

Started 2 months ago | Questions
MauriceRR Regular Member • Posts: 427
Canon lenses and a7riv

I'm looking to buy the new a7riv. I already have a sony a7r first gen + metabones iv + canon lenses.

I'm wondering if I will also need to update my metabones or not.

I can precise that I don't need AF on my canon lenses, manual focus is ok.

Thanks !

MauriceRR

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike - Contributing Member • Posts: 912
Re: Canon lenses and a7riv

If you think about it...you might come to the conclusion that by going into the Metabones web site, then look for updates and exactly what those updates are, you may get your question answered by the folks that know the adapter best..!

Mike

OP MauriceRR Regular Member • Posts: 427

Good to know,

Thx !

SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 3,912

MauriceRR wrote:

I'm looking to buy the new a7riv. I already have a sony a7r first gen + metabones iv + canon lenses.

Thanks !

MauriceRR

I don't have any inside information to offer, but there are really three parts to the question.

First is physical and mechanical compatibility - and since the mount is the same (FE) I think you can be confident that the adapter and lenses will mount and work (optically) just fine.

Then there is the lens data electronic communication - for EXIF and IBIS FL data etc. Again I think it's a pretty good guess that the protocols will be close enough that the existing MB firmware will likely work with the Riv. If not, I'd be very surprised if there isn't an MB FW update to address it.

Last but not least is the question of AF capability behaviour and accuracy. This area is less certain, since the AF system in the Riv is claimed to have evolved somewhat - so you may not have full  capability (again, unless MB are able to update via FW). However you've said that AF is not a concern for you and MF would suffice, so in that respect I think you have little need to worry.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony a6500 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +25 more

Smart !

Thank you for your help.

PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 8,220

MauriceRR wrote:

Original A7r (that I used to own) doesn't have PDAF, so most modern Canon lenses will AF much faster on A7r IV than on A7r.

There is newer MB5 but basically the same as MB4 so you don't gain to upgrade to V. Just make sure to upgrade to the latest MB4 FW.

As said most modern Canon lenses AF fine including eye-AF or even pretty well via MB4/5 or Sigma MC-11 especially UWA and WA Canon lenses.

Thanks !

MauriceRR

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +15 more
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 4,514

MauriceRR wrote:

Thanks !

MauriceRR

As to whether you "need" to update your Metabones - don't know.

But since the IV is user-updateable - you probably should.

(I assume when you said "update" you meant "firmware update".  If you meant replace with the V - not any point unless you REALLY want that indicator light and the extra button/switch.  The IV and V firmwares are functionally identical other than that light and switch.)

The third-gen FF bodies had significant improvements in AF capability with legacy adapters (such as Metabones in "green" mode).

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more

Entropy512 wrote:

MauriceRR wrote:

Thanks !

MauriceRR

I wanted to say "Will I need to buy a new one". But I think I understood.

(I assume when you said "update" you meant "firmware update". If you meant replace with the V - not any point unless you REALLY want that indicator light and the extra button/switch. The IV and V firmwares are functionally identical other than that light and switch.)

I do'nt even know what it is, so basically, at least at first, if I can find an A7r in september, I will be able to use it, at least without AF.

The third-gen FF bodies had significant improvements in AF capability with legacy adapters (such as Metabones in "green" mode).

I don't remember how mode I putted twoo years ago.

I have a big contract in september, and I try to be sure I don't need to buy a new optic to work with the new a7riv, wich is not already in my budget...

My work doesn't require AF. Manual focus is enough for architecture.

Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 4,514

MauriceRR wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

MauriceRR wrote:

Thanks !

MauriceRR

I wanted to say "Will I need to buy a new one". But I think I understood.

(I assume when you said "update" you meant "firmware update". If you meant replace with the V - not any point unless you REALLY want that indicator light and the extra button/switch. The IV and V firmwares are functionally identical other than that light and switch.)

I do'nt even know what it is, so basically, at least at first, if I can find an A7r in september, I will be able to use it, at least without AF.

I don't remember how mode I putted twoo years ago.

I have a big contract in september, and I try to be sure I don't need to buy a new optic to work with the new a7riv, wich is not already in my budget...

My work doesn't require AF. Manual focus is enough for architecture.

It sounds like you'll be absolutely fine.  You might get some stability/reliability improvements if you update the firmware (Metabones has a download page), but there's no difference in capabilities between an updated IV and an updated V.  Newer firmwares will change the default mode depending on which body you attach, but if you don't like the default you can change it either with the updater tool or by turning on the camera in a specific sequence (the exact method is somewhere on metabones.com )

-- hide signature --

Context is key. If I have quoted someone else's post when replying, please do not reply to something I say without reading text that I have quoted, and understanding the reason the quote function exists.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads