Sensor dust on refurbed 80D?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ohaya
ohaya Regular Member • Posts: 186
Sensor dust on refurbed 80D?

Hi,

I happened to be doing some shooting of the sky today with the refurbed 80D that I bought from Canon last month, and I noticed some spots on all of the pics.  So I took some all white shots and looked at the images and actually, it looks like there are quite a lot of spots and they are all over the sensor, i.e., not just in one area.

I guess that a number of you/us bought refurbed 80Ds.  Has anyone else noticed this?

I was actually pretty happy with the 80D until now :(...

Thanks,

Jim

ohaya's gear list:ohaya's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 450D Olympus E-M5 II
Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Distinctly Average Regular Member • Posts: 471
Re: Sensor dust on refurbed 80D?

Dust happens. It could have been introduced at any time and would be very hard to prove it was present when the camera was sold to you. You could request a free clean at most, unless there is a return period.

Otherwise, just clean it and enjoy the camera.

-- hide signature --
ohaya
OP ohaya Regular Member • Posts: 186

Distinctly Average wrote:

Dust happens. It could have been introduced at any time and would be very hard to prove it was present when the camera was sold to you. You could request a free clean at most, unless there is a return period.

Hi,

I guess that it has been a very long time since I've had/used a DSLR :(...

I am going to try to do that, and see what they say.

Thanks,

Jim

ohaya wrote:

Distinctly Average wrote:

Hi,

I guess that it has been a very long time since I've had/used a DSLR :(...

I am going to try to do that, and see what they say.

Thanks,

Jim

I use my cameras most days. The 7D2 almost permanently has the 100-400II attached so rarely gets dust. The 80D on the other hand I am often swapping my 60mm and 65mm lenses. Was out shooting a couple of weeks back and noticed some spots so used the blower to try and clean the sensor. All I did was made it worse. Think my rocket blower must have just been sucking pollen through. Was really frustrating as I got some excellent shots that took ages to process as a result. Pollen is the worst and even my wet cleaning wands didn’t do a good job. Fortunately Canon in my area do a while you wait cleaning for £16.

Hope you get yours sorted. Don’t forget to clean the back of the lens, that seems to be where a lot of the sensor dust originates for me.

-- hide signature --
pcrc11 Regular Member • Posts: 251

You have owned the camera for a month. Did the camera come with the lens installed on it and have you never removed it since it has been in your possession? Because if that is not the case, it would be a pretty far stretch to blame Canon for the dust.

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +2 more
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 3,993

I have always considered sensor cleaning to be a routine need for shooting with a DSLR.  My first DSLR was a Canon XSi.  I think the shutter had excess lube because I kept getting what I suspect where lube droplets on the sensor.  For the first couple of months, I had to wet clean the sensor every few times I used the camera.  Since then I have used a variety of DSLR cameras and find I need to clean the sensors at least a couple of times a year.  The last time I was in Death Valley there was a lot of wind and I had to do a wet clean every couple of days.

For routine cleaning I use a rocket blower.  That does pretty well with light debris and dust.  Pollen and other sticky stuff needs a wet cleaning.  I use a sensor cleaning spatula with a quarter piece of Pec Pad dampened with a drop or two of Eclipse alcohol.  I typically do I swipe and then replace the Pec Pad.  I do this 3-5x before rechecking the sensor with a blue sky test at f/20.  You can also use disposable swabs but they are expensive.  A package of Pec Pads lasts for years and hundreds of cleanings.

In discussing this with fellow photographers I am always amazed at how few of them clean their sensors.  Of course that is partly because they avoid checking.  I have gotten so used to having a spotless sensor and never needing to remove the dust bunny specks in post processing.  Even if you do not do a blue sky test at f/20 the dust is still there degrading your images.

jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +7 more
ohaya

Here's one of the pics when I first noticed the dust (big spot in upper left). The spot became apparent after I did an "Auto-Adjust" in Faststone viewer:

Here's what a "white-out-of-focus" image looks like after using my blower a few times:

I've been trying to see the spots via a digital microscope that I used to use when I had to clean one of my old Pentaxes, and so far, I only can see/find the spot in lower-left. It's on the "edge" of the sensor, the thin area going around the perimeter of the sensor.

I am surprised that, so far, I cannot see any of the other spots.

I have a dry cleaning brush that used to be the 2nd thing I tried way-back-when. I don't know if have any wet pads (and even if I did, they might already be dry).

Also, I have a "dust pen" that I got from Adorama as part of a free bundle awhile ago.

Sorry, like I said, I haven't had to do this for maybe 10+ years (I was away from photography for a long time, then when I started up again a few years ago, I immediately went to M43, and then to Fuji).

Jim

EDIT: Here's the spot that I *can* see via the microscope:

EDIT 2: I also have one of the Pentax Imagesensor Cleaning kits (https://www.adorama.com/ipxisck.html), but I don't remember if I ever used that (the kit looks unopened).

Certainly let old like you need to do a wet clean. Don’t use anything other than tools meant for cleaning the sensor. The pen things are not meant for that. Order some sensor swabs from Amazon or your local camera store. If you are nervous about doing it either watch some good videos on YouTube or take it to your local canon repair centre or good photography retailer.

Looking at the photo of your sensor I can see a couple of spots of dust

-- hide signature --
jrkliny
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +7 more
ohaya

Hi,

A little bit off-topic, but as I was looking at the camera, I had a thought.

I didn't mention this earlier, but when I got the 80D, I was looking for a leather "ready" case, because I use those on almost all my cameras.

Anyway, I couldn't find one for the 80D that has a battery flap, which I also like to have, so I ended up trying one of those rubber "skins".  I figured that it would at least keep the body from getting banged up.

So, now, I am wondering if maybe that was a bad idea, because I am thinking that the rubber could have been attracting dust, and specifically dust around the lens mount area, so maybe everytime I too the lens off, dust would get into the sensor chamber?

Anyway, I've removed the rubber skin for now...  but just was wondering if that makes sense (about the rubber skin attracting dust)?

Jim

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,349

ohaya wrote:

I was actually pretty happy with the 80D until now :(...

stop photographing white walls at small apertures 🤔

Thanks,

Jim

1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,232

you'll get use to them

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

jrkliny

If you shoot at f/20 and the image has sky or other light areas, you can see any dust bunnies that are present.  Some photographers think if you shoot at wider apertures and do not see the dust, then all is OK.  Wrong.  Even basic common sense should tell you that if you have dust on the sensor the image quality will be degraded.

RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,377

jrkliny wrote:

If you shoot at f/20 and the image has sky or other light areas, you can see any dust bunnies that are present. Some photographers think if you shoot at wider apertures and do not see the dust, then all is OK. Wrong. Even basic common sense should tell you that if you have dust on the sensor the image quality will be degraded.

The question is how much degradation will there be?  If it is minimal, there one can live with it.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +32 more
jrkliny

I am always amazed that many people will spend bunches of money on expensive lenses and other gear and then not bother with a clean sensor.  Even when you cannot see the dust it will degrade that area of the image.  A few spots are not going to do much but it is easy to get a filthy sensor and not know it.

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,109

RogerZoul wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

If you shoot at f/20 and the image has sky or other light areas, you can see any dust bunnies that are present. Some photographers think if you shoot at wider apertures and do not see the dust, then all is OK. Wrong. Even basic common sense should tell you that if you have dust on the sensor the image quality will be degraded.

The question is how much degradation will there be? If it is minimal, there one can live with it.

Best not to let the crud to build up.Sensors are not meant to be dirty.

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 4,667

Refurbed 80Ds will soon be so cheap as to become a viable alternative to professional cleaning.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot S20 Canon EOS 80D +7 more
ohaya

Hi,

A long story, but FYI, I ended up talking to the factory service center (pretty nice bunch of people!) and ended up sending the 80D body in for them to eval. They are in the VA beach area (Newport News) and we are in NoVA, so it should get there this week and then I will see what they say.

BTW, thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

ohaya

ohaya wrote:

Hi,

A long story, but FYI, I ended up talking to the factory service center (pretty nice bunch of people!) and ended up sending the 80D body in for them to eval. They are in the VA beach area (Newport News) and we are in NoVA, so it should get there this week and then I will see what they say.

BTW, thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

FYI, I got my 80D and now the sensor is really clean!  Service was super fast... it looks like they turned it around and shipped it back to me the same day that they received it, and I got multiple automated calls from them advising of the status. I guess living 3 hours away from them made the shipping really fast too :)!

Super!  I am SOOO happy to have it back!

Meanwhile, I ran across some videos about the gel type sensor cleaners with warnings about the same thing that happened to me (pieces of the gel sticking to the sensor glass).  Apparently it is possible to clean that off, but according to one video, he had to use wet swabs multiple times to do that.

gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,955

Glad you got it cleaned and are happy, but down the road it's definitely worth investing in the swabs and solution and learning to do this yourself.  It's not difficult Dust is a fact of life with interchangeable lens cameras, and cleaning the sensor is part of ownership.  It's kinda like oil changes on cars, just needs to be done.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads