Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
aspire Forum Member • Posts: 94
Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3

Hi Folks

Have been considering Tamron 35-150mm f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240 f4-6.3 and Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 G2 for awhile.

The low aperture F2.8 from Tamron is great but not above sharpness on these lenses.

Anyone willing to post photos with these lenses on eos r or rp

Have a nice weekend

 aspire's gear list:aspire's gear list
Olympus E-30 Canon EOS RP
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Re: Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3

aspire wrote:

Hi Folks

Have been considering Tamron 35-150mm f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240 f4-6.3 and Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 G2 for awhile.

The low aperture F2.8 from Tamron is great but not above sharpness on these lenses.

Anyone willing to post photos with these lenses on eos r or rp

Have a nice weekend

Bought the Tamron 35-150mm. Will post sample images tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +9 more
Suave Senior Member • Posts: 1,844
Re: Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3
5

I don't think a ton of people have the 24-240 seeing how it's not going to ship for another 2-3 weeks.

 Suave's gear list:Suave's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS RP Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +7 more
dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 7,909
Re: Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3

I have the 24-240 on preorder. I'll post some samples when it arrives. B&H says it should ship on August 30th.

That said, I chose the Canon lens over the Tamron as a travel lens. The increased range is very useful for me.

-- hide signature --

---enjoys shooting with inferior gear---

 dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Apple iPhone 11 Apple iPhone 11 Pro +2 more
Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Tamron 35-150mm Sample Images
1

While going around the mall...

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +9 more
GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 2,759
Re: Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3

The  Tamron lense look way better, the 24 240 leaves me unimpressed.

 GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Bhotoz Contributing Member • Posts: 990
Re: Tamron 35-150mm Sample Images

Have you done any side by side comparison between Tamron 35-150 and RF 24-105, at comparable focal lengths? If you have, please share your thoughts and pics.

I still have only EF-lenses to shoot with R. They work great, but I want to buy some normal(ish) zoom. I have 16-35 f4L for wide angle needs, and love it for landscapes! My biggest interest so far has been to buy RF 24-105, but thinking now also Tamron 35-150 (although I had decided "no more Tamrons for me").... It would be nice range to shoot landscapes with 16-35, if it is sharp enough in the corners @f8-11? And 35-150 would be nice range for family events, too. Usually no need to go wider. But as a walkaround lens, without lens changing, 24mm at wide end would be better for me than 35mm... I like that all these 3 lenses have have 77mm filter size.

How about apertures in Tamron? 28mm is f2 8 and 150mm is f4, but how are they between those?

Edit, found them:

35mm: f/2.8
42mm: f/3
50mm: f/3.2
62mm: f/3.3
75mm: f/3.5
98mm: f/3.8
122mm: f/4

diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,264
Re: Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3

aspire wrote:

Hi Folks

Have been considering Tamron 35-150mm f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240 f4-6.3 and Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 G2 for awhile.

The low aperture F2.8 from Tamron is great but not above sharpness on these lenses.

Anyone willing to post photos with these lenses on eos r or rp

Have a nice weekend

I would imagine the Tamron 24-70 will easily be the sharpest and also has a constant f2.8.  It is also quite large and heavy.  I liked it, but it was heavy.   The 24-240 is obviously all about range.  There will be some optical compromises of course and the aperture is rather slow, but it’s a huge range.   The other Tamron is interesting but the range is weird for me personally.   Have you thought of the RF24-105?

 diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Re: Tamron 35-150mm Sample Images

Bhotoz wrote:

Have you done any side by side comparison between Tamron 35-150 and RF 24-105, at comparable focal lengths? If you have, please share your thoughts and pics.

I still have only EF-lenses to shoot with R. They work great, but I want to buy some normal(ish) zoom. I have 16-35 f4L for wide angle needs, and love it for landscapes! My biggest interest so far has been to buy RF 24-105, but thinking now also Tamron 35-150 (although I had decided "no more Tamrons for me").... It would be nice range to shoot landscapes with 16-35, if it is sharp enough in the corners @f8-11? And 35-150 would be nice range for family events, too. Usually no need to go wider. But as a walkaround lens, without lens changing, 24mm at wide end would be better for me than 35mm... I like that all these 3 lenses have have 77mm filter size.

How about apertures in Tamron? 28mm is f2 8 and 150mm is f4, but how are they between those?

Edit, found them:

35mm: f/2.8
42mm: f/3
50mm: f/3.2
62mm: f/3.3
75mm: f/3.5
98mm: f/3.8
122mm: f/4

I have the RF24-105mm and while I like its focusing speed, the images meet but do not exceed my expectations. I'll share a comparison later.
--
"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +9 more
OP aspire Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3

Hi

The rf24-105 lenses dia is too huge and left me little space for hand grip.

 aspire's gear list:aspire's gear list
Olympus E-30 Canon EOS RP
dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 7,909
Re: Tamron 35-150mm Sample Images
1

Noogy wrote:

I have the RF24-105mm and while I like its focusing speed, the images meet but do not exceed my expectations. I'll share a comparison later.
--

The 24-105 doesn't meet your expectations? Really? Mine is stellar.

-- hide signature --

---enjoys shooting with inferior gear---

 dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Apple iPhone 11 Apple iPhone 11 Pro +2 more
Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Re: Tamron 35-150mm Sample Images

dmanthree wrote:

Noogy wrote:

I have the RF24-105mm and while I like its focusing speed, the images meet but do not exceed my expectations. I'll share a comparison later.
--

The 24-105 doesn't meet your expectations? Really? Mine is stellar.

Pls read again. What I wrote is that it met but did not exceed my expectations. Try reading more slowly than you type out a comment or reply.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +9 more
dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 7,909
Re: Tamron 35-150mm Sample Images

Noogy wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Noogy wrote:

I have the RF24-105mm and while I like its focusing speed, the images meet but do not exceed my expectations. I'll share a comparison later.
--

The 24-105 doesn't meet your expectations? Really? Mine is stellar.

Pls read again. What I wrote is that it met but did not exceed my expectations. Try reading more slowly than you type out a comment or reply.

I understood, but it sounded like you were disappointed with the lens. No worries.

-- hide signature --

---enjoys shooting with inferior gear---

 dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Apple iPhone 11 Apple iPhone 11 Pro +2 more
Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Tamron 35-150 vs RF24-105mm

More pics. Not intended to be a scientific comparison. Used R with the RF lens and RP on the Tamron. Parameters are basically similar. Last three images are RP+Tamron in lowlight, etc.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +9 more
forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 4,998
Re: Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3

aspire wrote:

Hi Folks

Have been considering Tamron 35-150mm f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240 f4-6.3 and Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 G2 for awhile.

The low aperture F2.8 from Tamron is great but not above sharpness on these lenses.

Anyone willing to post photos with these lenses on eos r or rp

Have a nice weekend

Now that DPR posted the sample pictures, it's safe to say that Tamron 35-150 is very good (possibly stellar) lens, while Canon 24-240 is clearly mediocre to the point of unusable.

Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Re: Tamron 35-150 f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240f4-6.3

forpetessake wrote:

aspire wrote:

Hi Folks

Have been considering Tamron 35-150mm f2.8-f4 vs canon 24-240 f4-6.3 and Tamron 24-70mm F2.8 G2 for awhile.

The low aperture F2.8 from Tamron is great but not above sharpness on these lenses.

Anyone willing to post photos with these lenses on eos r or rp

Have a nice weekend

Now that DPR posted the sample pictures, it's safe to say that Tamron 35-150 is very good (possibly stellar) lens, while Canon 24-240 is clearly mediocre to the point of unusable.

After a couple of day of using it, I will have to strongly agree with you. It is sharp and vibrant at any focal length.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +9 more
Bhotoz Contributing Member • Posts: 990
Re: Tamron 35-150 vs RF24-105mm

Thanks for the pics. It's hard to say much about sharpness between these lenses, because there is such a small area in focus. It would also be good to use the same body when possible. Were you using tripod?

So how do you find RF didn't exceed your expectations, but Tamron did? What were you expecting more from RF?

How does the Tamron feel adapted to R, is it front heavy?

Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Re: Tamron 35-150 vs RF24-105mm

Bhotoz wrote:

Thanks for the pics. It's hard to say much about sharpness between these lenses, because there is such a small area in focus. It would also be good to use the same body when possible. Were you using tripod?

So how do you find RF didn't exceed your expectations, but Tamron did? What were you expecting more from RF?

How does the Tamron feel adapted to R, is it front heavy?

The easy question first. It feels well balanced with the R and slightly front heavy with RP.

From 35 to 50mm, its output is as good as a 2.8 prime lens. In that regard, it's better than the RF24-105mm which is a constant f4 lens. Overall sharpness at f4 is better from center to corner. Subjectively it yields a more three dimensional image quality where the RF24-105 images would sometimes look flat.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +9 more
Bhotoz Contributing Member • Posts: 990
Re: Tamron 35-150 vs RF24-105mm

Noogy wrote:

Bhotoz wrote:

Thanks for the pics. It's hard to say much about sharpness between these lenses, because there is such a small area in focus. It would also be good to use the same body when possible. Were you using tripod?

So how do you find RF didn't exceed your expectations, but Tamron did? What were you expecting more from RF?

How does the Tamron feel adapted to R, is it front heavy?

The easy question first. It feels well balanced with the R and slightly front heavy with RP.

From 35 to 50mm, its output is as good as a 2.8 prime lens. In that regard, it's better than the RF24-105mm which is a constant f4 lens. Overall sharpness at f4 is better from center to corner. Subjectively it yields a more three dimensional image quality where the RF24-105 images would sometimes look flat.

Yes, Tamron is faster than RF at 35-105mm, and Tamron also has 106-150mm. But Tamron lacks 24-34mm. So they both have pluses and minuses.

But if we are comparing the performance at the same focal lengths of these lenses. So you have found your Tamron is sharper (also in edges and corners) at f4 than RF 24-105 is at f4 (between 35mm and 105mm). How about at f8-f11 (for landscapes), do you see difference?

Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Re: Tamron 35-150 vs RF24-105mm
1

Bhotoz wrote:

Noogy wrote:

Bhotoz wrote:

Thanks for the pics. It's hard to say much about sharpness between these lenses, because there is such a small area in focus. It would also be good to use the same body when possible. Were you using tripod?

So how do you find RF didn't exceed your expectations, but Tamron did? What were you expecting more from RF?

How does the Tamron feel adapted to R, is it front heavy?

The easy question first. It feels well balanced with the R and slightly front heavy with RP.

From 35 to 50mm, its output is as good as a 2.8 prime lens. In that regard, it's better than the RF24-105mm which is a constant f4 lens. Overall sharpness at f4 is better from center to corner. Subjectively it yields a more three dimensional image quality where the RF24-105 images would sometimes look flat.

Yes, Tamron is faster than RF at 35-105mm, and Tamron also has 106-150mm. But Tamron lacks 24-34mm. So they both have pluses and minuses.

But if we are comparing the performance at the same focal lengths of these lenses. So you have found your Tamron is sharper (also in edges and corners) at f4 than RF 24-105 is at f4 (between 35mm and 105mm). How about at f8-f11 (for landscapes), do you see difference?

I plan to do some landscapes this weekend and find out.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

 Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads