Is a new Nikon flash still expected in 2019?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Straz Regular Member • Posts: 173
Is a new Nikon flash still expected in 2019?

When the Z7 was first announced, it was expected that there would also be a new flash announced to go along with it sometime in 2019. I've heard nothing about that since, so am wondering if that is still expected?

In hopes such a flash would have a focus assist that works properly with the Z series cameras, I've been holding off on buying any other flash, and making do with a very nice $60 LED video light. The down side of that, of course, is that it is not stealthy at all, and can make subjects squint.

Straz's gear list:Straz's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +1 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
z2122
z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,054
Re: Is a new Nikon flash still expected in 2019?

the SB700 works on my Z6 and for a bigger setup/studio  I use the Godox controller and flashes .

I doubt that a new flash will be selling in large quantities

-- hide signature --

https://www.ppetschauer.com/
catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,677

z2122 wrote:

the SB700 works on my Z6 and for a bigger setup/studio I use the Godox controller and flashes .

I think it would sell quite well if it was aimed at the Z. Powerful flash with built in video light, modelling light, high speed flash, strobe, CLS, and of course AF assist light. With all those features plus some more I think it would be easy to sell

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,388

The marketing analysis would need to assess what does “would sell quite well” really mean for a unit with more features albeit likely at a higher price point than the current 600USD for an SB5000. Nikon has to know by now that the 69 dollar disposable knock offs would soon appear.

MSullivan Regular Member • Posts: 117

I don't think it has to have tons of new features. Just make it so the AF assist works with the Zs and I'd get one.

MSullivan's gear list:MSullivan's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +4 more
Murray Bowles
Murray Bowles Senior Member • Posts: 2,150

Now that we have Godox, is there a reason to buy NIkon flashes?

olyflyer

MSullivan wrote:

I don't think it has to have tons of new features. Just make it so the AF assist works with the Zs and I'd get one.

That would not be enough to make it a best seller. AF assist can be an add-on piggyback solution, if one needs it.

Nikon Z7
kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,254

Murray Bowles wrote:

Now that we have Godox, is there a reason to buy NIkon flashes?

OTOH, there may be a reason to wait and see if there are new Godox flashes this year. Just me, but when I went to look up the battery for the V1 on Adorama, I was somewhat intrigued to see it labelled as: "Flashpoint VB-26 Li-ion Battery for the Zoom Li-ion X and Zoom Li-ion III Speedlight Flashes"

Dunno if that means there's a V860 III (or TT685 II) on the way, but... I assume it's not a typo since the battery pack itself is completely different from the one for the V860ii speedlights.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 2,826

z2122 wrote:

the SB700 works on my Z6 and for a bigger setup/studio I use the Godox controller and flashes .

Same here. I mean, Nikon already has some nice flash units out there (The SB700, SB910, SB5000, etc). In fact, I don't think a new flash is at the top of the priority list at Nikon. However a small little pop-up flash like the Fuji flash they had with their XT-1/2 cameras would be nice... something for those times when you just need some TTL fill light.

But to be honest, unless any new flash is smaller, a lot of the existing flashes are very capable and work with the Z bodies for the most part (some people have reported the AF assist not working on some models though).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +13 more
Michel Jarry
Michel Jarry Contributing Member • Posts: 541

I would love a small R/F operated flash that I can take anywhere to complement my SB-5000... Like a SB-500 working over R/F ...

Michel Jarry's gear list:Michel Jarry's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +2 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 14,064

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Same here. I mean, Nikon already has some nice flash units out there (The SB700, SB910, SB5000, etc).

The SB-910 is discontinued, but there's still a few to pick from with the current lineup:
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/speedlights/

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels.

sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 2,826

Patco wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

Same here. I mean, Nikon already has some nice flash units out there (The SB700, SB910, SB5000, etc).

The SB-910 is discontinued, but there's still a few to pick from with the current lineup:
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/speedlights/

Yeah it's an old model obviously, but still works with the Z series if someone wanted something better than a 700 but not spend $500+ on a 5000.

They're also about $250-300 used online various places, and overall, a decent flash (not as compact as the 700).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +13 more
Nikolaj1972 Forum Member • Posts: 58

Straz wrote:

When the Z7 was first announced, it was expected that there would also be a new flash announced to go along with it sometime in 2019. I've heard nothing about that since, so am wondering if that is still expected?

In hopes such a flash would have a focus assist that works properly with the Z series cameras, I've been holding off on buying any other flash, and making do with a very nice $60 LED video light. The down side of that, of course, is that it is not stealthy at all, and can make subjects squint.

.. Sorry to get off-topic..

I sold all my Nikon speedlights and went 100% godox. Assist beam on the trigger (X2T) and there is a hotshoe on top so you can have a flash on camera on the same time.

Godox is a whole lot cheaper than Nikon. and some speedlights have rechargeable lithium batteries.

Nikolaj1972's gear list:Nikolaj1972's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
olyflyer

Nikolaj1972 wrote:

Straz wrote:

I sold all my Nikon speedlights and went 100% godox. Assist beam on the trigger (X2T) and there is a hotshoe on top so you can have a flash on camera on the same time.

Godox is a whole lot cheaper than Nikon. and some speedlights have rechargeable lithium batteries.

How does that assist beam works? I mean, is it replacing the built in one or is it working only with DSLR cameras?

Nikon Z7
Nikolaj1972 Forum Member • Posts: 58

olyflyer wrote:

Nikolaj1972 wrote:

Straz wrote:

How does that assist beam works? I mean, is it replacing the built in one or is it working only with DSLR cameras?

I think Peter Gregg is better at explaining than me.

If you dont wanna hear about the problems with assist light with ML cameras then jump to 13:00 min if you just want to see the solution.

Link: https://youtu.be/JI4pxNF4BNs

Nikolaj1972's gear list:Nikolaj1972's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
olyflyer

Nikolaj1972 wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Nikolaj1972 wrote:

Straz wrote:

I think Peter Gregg is better at explaining than me.

If you dont wanna hear about the problems with assist light with ML cameras then jump to 13:00 min if you just want to see the solution.

Link: https://youtu.be/JI4pxNF4BNs

What a lot of irrelevant bubble in that video...

I mean, I asked a simple question about the AF assist beam in that Godox you have and said that it has AF assist beam. I repeat the question:

Does it work with the Nikon Z, or only with DSLRs? The answer is yes or no.

Nikon Z7
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,404

olyflyer wrote:

I mean, I asked a simple question about the AF assist beam in that Godox you have and said that it has AF assist beam. I repeat the question:

As a lot of things in life the answer isn't a simple yes or no.

Summary from the video...  The AF assist light on the flash didn't work on mirrorless (it doesn't come on).  But he was able to put the Godox X-1 trigger on a Sony ML camera and the AF assist light worked.  He said the Sony combo was the only one that worked for him.

I don't know.  I was also able to get Godox AF assist light to come on with Fuji as well.  I can't remember if it was only the trigger or from the flash as well.  The gotcha from the Fuji as I remember it is the AF assist light only comes on when it thinks it's dark enough to need the AF assist.

I haven't tried with Nikon Z.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
shadowlands
shadowlands Contributing Member • Posts: 689

I use my little SB-500 with my Z6. Love it. Works very well. No complains.

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z6
Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 S
Nikon SB-500

olyflyer

michaeladawson wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

True, but this question should have been easy to answer with a yes or no since he says he has that Godox and also claims to have a Z. No need to link to a long and boring video.

Summary from the video... The AF assist light on the flash didn't work on mirrorless (it doesn't come on). But he was able to put the Godox X-1 trigger on a Sony ML camera and the AF assist light worked. He said the Sony combo was the only one that worked for him.

I don't know. I was also able to get Godox AF assist light to come on with Fuji as well. I can't remember if it was only the trigger or from the flash as well. The gotcha from the Fuji as I remember it is the AF assist light only comes on when it thinks it's dark enough to need the AF assist.

Probably Sony and Fuji work completely different from Nikon. The old Nikon shoe had a dedicated pin for the AF assist, but now it's controlled through the same data pin as everything else in a flash. The only dedicated pins are the GND and the actual flash trigger.

Nikon Z7
Spare-time photog Junior Member • Posts: 39

olyflyer wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

True, but this question should have been easy to answer with a yes or no since he says he has that Godox and also claims to have a Z. No need to link to a long and boring video.

After reading Nikolaj's statement, I had the same thought as you. How is it possible, that the AF assist beam work with his kind of transmitter, but not with the X-Pro which I have?

Of course it is not possible, otherwise Godox would have updated all their updatable controllers so they will work with the Z series.

Summary from the video... The AF assist light on the flash didn't work on mirrorless (it doesn't come on). But he was able to put the Godox X-1 trigger on a Sony ML camera and the AF assist light worked. He said the Sony combo was the only one that worked for him.

I don't know. I was also able to get Godox AF assist light to come on with Fuji as well. I can't remember if it was only the trigger or from the flash as well. The gotcha from the Fuji as I remember it is the AF assist light only comes on when it thinks it's dark enough to need the AF assist.

Probably Sony and Fuji work completely different from Nikon. The old Nikon shoe had a dedicated pin for the AF assist, but now it's controlled through the same data pin as everything else in a flash. The only dedicated pins are the GND and the actual flash trigger.

Why is the AF assist beam not working for the Z series?

The answer is quite simple: the camera doesn't send the 'turn the AF assist beam on' message to the flash or controller.

On a Nikon DSLR every time a flash is mounted, it is sending a message to the camera that it has a AF assist lamp.  And if the camera flash assist lamp should be turned on, the AF message is send to the flash, so the flash's LED is turned on instead, as the camera knows that the flash has a AF lamp.

But under the same circumstances the Z7 sends... nothing. No AF assist telegram, not even an unknown telegram, just nothing.

So the more complicated question is why the Z series does not send this AF lamp on message although the existing flashes are sending their 'Hey, I have an AF assist LED' message.

Perhaps this message is different for the Z series so the camera is waiting for a special bit or byte in that telegram, which isn't coming of course, because no one knows what exactly the Z7 is expecting.

To make a long story short: If some flash brand is able to reverse engineer what telegram the Z7 is waiting for, in that moment all existing flashes could be easily updated per firmware, so at least the red AF assist beam can be turned on.

So if there is one day a Z series flash then the above question could be easily answered, as long as they are not introducing a new TTL protocol.

Spare-time photog's gear list:Spare-time photog's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads