A7r2 - charging orange light?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
mattjp1
mattjp1 Regular Member • Posts: 234
A7r2 - charging orange light?

Hello

I just picked-up a used a7r2. It didn't come with an external charger so I charge it with the micro usb plugged to the wall.

It seems the orange light indicates the device is charging. However I thought it would either turn green or disappears, when the battery is fully charged?

On my camera, the orange light stays on even though the battery is at 100%. So I don't know when to stop charging and have to check "manually".

I'm new to Sony. Is that normal or is there a problem?

Thanks

matt

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,339
Re: A7r2 - charging orange light?

Reading the manual is often helpful as it clearly states that the light should turn off when the charging has finished.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X30
moficera Regular Member • Posts: 206

It stays orange a little longer even when the battery shows 100%. Give it more time and the orange light disappears.

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Canon G1 X II Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +10 more
bobhp Regular Member • Posts: 211

moficera wrote:

It stays orange a little longer even when the battery shows 100%. Give it more time and the orange light disappears.

I agree with this my Sonys seem to take an age to charge fully  the light stays on for a long time after the battery appears to be fully charged.

bobhp's gear list:bobhp's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
maltmoose Senior Member • Posts: 1,495

For what its worth one of my third party a7r2 batterys the orange light never turns off using the charger, the sony one does. not sure what happens in camera though.

Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084

bobhp wrote:

moficera wrote:

I agree with this my Sonys seem to take an age to charge fully the light stays on for a long time after the battery appears to be fully charged.

The percentage is whole numbers only so it probably showing 100% when it is 99.5% charged.

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) +3 more
mattjp1
OP mattjp1 Regular Member • Posts: 234

Snapsh0t wrote:

Reading the manual is often helpful as it clearly states that the light should turn off when the charging has finished.

Reading my post is also often helpful.

I bought it used and there was no manual. It also seems others have the same issue, how about you give them the same attitude?

mattjp1

moficera wrote:

Thank you.

What do you mean by more time though?

As I bought used, I am not sure if I have a defective unit. It seems normal though, if there is a way I can test that would reassure me.

mattjp1

Paul Barnard wrote:

bobhp wrote:

moficera wrote:

I agree with this my Sonys seem to take an age to charge fully the light stays on for a long time after the battery appears to be fully charged.

The percentage is whole numbers only so it probably showing 100% when it is 99.5% charged.

Interesting thank you. I would have been very unlucky if I unplugged it at 99.5%!

I am trying again though.

Foto4x4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,736

mattjp1 wrote:

Snapsh0t wrote:

I bought it used and there was no manual. It also seems others have the same issue, how about you give them the same attitude?

Matt, I didn’t think snapsh0t displayed attitude, but gave a reasonable reply. You did not mention you had no manual either. Besides, you are best to download the full manuals with Sony cameras anyway.

As a longer term Sony user, I suggest you purchase a W battery quick charger and spare battery anyway. The A7RII can be heavy on batteries if shooting all day. Also note that in an emergency, you can power your camera from a battery bank as well as charge in camera. The battery only charges when the camera is off too.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Quote: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”, Robert Capa

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +14 more
mattjp1

Foto4x4 wrote:

mattjp1 wrote:

Snapsh0t wrote:

Matt, I didn’t think snapsh0t displayed attitude, but gave a reasonable reply. You did not mention you had no manual either. Besides, you are best to download the full manuals with Sony cameras anyway.

As a longer term Sony user, I suggest you purchase a W battery quick charger and spare battery anyway. The A7RII can be heavy on batteries if shooting all day. Also note that in an emergency, you can power your camera from a battery bank as well as charge in camera. The battery only charges when the camera is off too.

Sorry but I have a different opinion. And it's pretty common for used cameras not to come with the manual. Plus there are several technical questions on forums that could be answered by the manual (even though I do not have it). Picking on one especially is strange to say the least.

Thank you for your suggestions. Coming from a long term Sony shooter, it certainly helps and I will check this charger now. I'm leaving for a trip in a few hours so perhaps have it deliver in the country I visit. Indeed I will be out the whole day and haven't thought of a powerbank... thanks again!

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,684

mattjp1 wrote:

Snapsh0t wrote:

Sony battery or 3rd party?

The manual is here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7rm2/manuals

The Help Guide is a good one to read, too.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D200 +17 more
mattjp1

SQLGuy wrote:

mattjp1 wrote:

Snapsh0t wrote:

Sony battery or 3rd party?

The manual is here: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7rm2/manuals

The Help Guide is a good one to read, too.

Thank you for the link, I did not know it is available online for free.

I have two Sony batteries.

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,684

Just tried mine. After a couple of hours the light went off.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D200 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads