MORE Hummingbirds!

Started 2 months ago | Photos
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,467
MORE Hummingbirds!

For some reason or another I just have not been out photographing birds near our house for more than a month now. Took a walk and came across these:

Hummingbird in contemplative mood:

Another one a bit more flashy:

Checking out the food supply:

'Ere, wot's this then?

Whatever it is, I'll try it...

Hmm, pretty good actually! Perks me right up!

A different angle perhaps?

A different flower perhaps?

And one last one

There were some Rufous Hummingbirds around as well but unfortunately all I got were Anna's. Tomorrow maybe...

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,922
Re: MORE Hummingbirds!

Excellent shots Alwyn. Very well done.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
OP AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 2,467

Thanks Jerry: got to love these little birds, so full of character. Not to mention feisty!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

sidebyside Senior Member • Posts: 1,264

Well done!

-- hide signature --

Andy
First and foremost, it's about capturing the moment regardless of how the pixels look at 100%

Thanks sbs.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

giraffe Senior Member • Posts: 2,478

Just trying recently to capture hummingbirds with my rx10 4. Do you have any suggestions on settings to use based on your experience. Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the sony rx10 4. I have been using a canon 5d4 for the past few years but got tired of the weight so bought the sony and just getting used to it. I bought the 2 ebooks recommened on this forum - just wondering if there are any recommened settings that you use for hummingbirds.

giraffe wrote:

Just trying recently to capture hummingbirds with my rx10 4. Do you have any suggestions on settings to use based on your experience. Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the sony rx10 4. I have been using a canon 5d4 for the past few years but got tired of the weight so bought the sony and just getting used to it. I bought the 2 ebooks recommened on this forum - just wondering if there are any recommened settings that you use for hummingbirds.

Hi giraffe

I do believe we ran into each other the last time I was in the Serengeti: 

Jokes aside: for the posted images I used two sets of settings: one for perched and one for in flight. I described the settings (and reasoning behind it) in THIS THREAD Note that I did change some details over time: changes are noted in later posts in the thread.

Hope this helps: let me know if you have any questions on the stuff in that thread.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

giraffe Senior Member • Posts: 2,478

Yes I remember our meeting in the Serengetti. A once in a lifetime experience lol.

Thanks for pointing out the thread with your suggestions. I will set my camera up with these suggestions for hummingbirds. Personally I like using manual but these little birds are just too fast for manual. I have had the camera for a few months now and am amazed at what this camera can do..

Rodger1943
Rodger1943 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,965

Great looking hummer shots Alwyn. I think I like the last one the best, as its a great pose on an in flight hummer.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 FZ200 Sony RX10 iv

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +2 more
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,922

giraffe wrote:

Yes I remember our meeting in the Serengetti. A once in a lifetime experience lol.

Thanks for pointing out the thread with your suggestions. I will set my camera up with these suggestions for hummingbirds. Personally I like using manual but these little birds are just too fast for manual. I have had the camera for a few months now and am amazed at what this camera can do..

Alwyn is much better at capturing birds than I am, but I will share my settings with you.

I went to shutter priority, 1/1000, f/4 and ISO on AUTO. I set the focus to small flexible spot and set the metering to center. Drive to Lo. I tried to put the focus spot on the birds eyes but they do hop around pretty quickly. Focus switch in the front on A.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more

Rodger1943 wrote:

Great looking hummer shots Alwyn. I think I like the last one the best, as its a great pose on an in flight hummer.

Thanks Rodger: I too thought it was rather interesting with its tail up in the air!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,804

Great captures Alwyn!

Dale

AlwynS wrote:

For some reason or another I just have not been out photographing birds near our house for more than a month now. Took a walk and came across these:

Hummingbird in contemplative mood:

Another one a bit more flashy:

Checking out the food supply:

'Ere, wot's this then?

Whatever it is, I'll try it...

Hmm, pretty good actually! Perks me right up!

A different angle perhaps?

A different flower perhaps?

And one last one

There were some Rufous Hummingbirds around as well but unfortunately all I got were Anna's. Tomorrow maybe...

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9

Thanks kindly Dale.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads