Flat round eyepiece cup for A7R3?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
RMGoodLight
RMGoodLight Forum Member • Posts: 84
Flat round eyepiece cup for A7R3?

I'm looking for a flat eyepiece cup for the A7R3. Fujis X cameras like the X-E3 or X-T30 use that kind I want to add to my A7R3. Since I wear glasses a flatter eye piece would allow me to see a notch more of the EVF and would spare me 1 or 2 mm of body depth.

I could only find bigger eyepieces or replacements that look the same as the original eyepiece.

Has anyone found a better (flat) eyepiece for the A7?

RMGoodLight's gear list:RMGoodLight's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gurudave Regular Member • Posts: 100
Re: Flat round eyepiece cup for A7R3?

FOLLOWING

petercod Contributing Member • Posts: 544

Cant find anything either. Wonder if you were to cut the shape from foam/rubber/neoprene and attach it on would it work to get your eye closer. If i attempted this it would certainly look a bit rough...

Beatsy
Beatsy Contributing Member • Posts: 665

The JJC eyecup is pretty good (easy to find on ebay and amazon etc), but you'll have to cut the protruding "side shield" off to make it round and flat. It cuts easily with scissors. I did that, and it works perfectly.

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +14 more

Sounds like a better idea. Do you have a photo of the finished trimmed eyepiece installed on your camera?

Beatsy
Beatsy Contributing Member • Posts: 665

petercod wrote:

Sounds like a better idea. Do you have a photo of the finished trimmed eyepiece installed on your camera?

Sorry, just the parts at the mo - they kick around in my bag mostly. I only use this for one very specific problem when the sun shines in under my glasses from the left and makes it difficult to see the EVF. Here's a phone snap. The cut eyecup has been removed from the camera eyepiece attachment here - I tried using that for something else and broke it.

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +14 more

Thanks for posting the image of the parts. Confirms that I have ordered the wrong JJC item

Will see if I can successfully slice some of the silicon off these anyway:

Just tried this. It’s not pretty but still can’t see the whole EVF so mission aborted 😆

John Borrelli
John Borrelli Contributing Member • Posts: 650

Not sure what kind of photography you do but if you, or other readers, use a tripod for landscapes please consider using a focusing cloth. It makes using either the viewfinder or lcd screen much better, particularly for eyeglass wearers. You could try this with a black T shirt to see if you like this approach. All the best, john

-- hide signature --

John Borrelli

Kev The Doc Senior Member • Posts: 1,806
Hoodman
 Kev The Doc's gear list:Kev The Doc's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +3 more
Derek Dean
Derek Dean Senior Member • Posts: 2,310

I got this for my A7RII and it fits perfectly.  A little softer than the Hoodman (which I also tried), but it does still block a tiny bit of the EVF (I don't wear glasses).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072RCPZC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads