Fast powerful desktop replacement

Started Aug 15, 2019 | Discussions
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,280
Fast powerful desktop replacement

Meaning, a laptop I can take on the road and do the things my two photo computers do.

The specs for the desktops aren't earth shattering but they get the job done:

1)  I5-8400 which can give me a steady 3.9 GHz all day

2)  32 GB 3000 DDR4 ram

3)  GTX 1050ti, although that doesn't play much of a roll

It's the fact I can steadily burn through the folders I need processing in LR6/CS5 and most importantly PT Gui 11.3 all day with no slowdowns unless you want to factor in the tendonitis in my right forearm!

My two current laptops (Lenovo T430 and W520) are completely inadequate.  I need a laptop I can work on while on the road with the same efficiency as I do at home.

I'll be plugged in at a library when I would be doing on-the-road processing so long battery power isn't crucial.

I figure that the fastest cpu I can get along with 32 GB should be a good start but I'm sure there are many items on the "they don't tell you this but..." list.

Like any powerful laptop cpu throttling back because of heat therefore robbing me of my much needed high cpu frequency.  Or maybe laptop ram behaving differently than desktop ram.  Or any of many other things I wouldn't know about.

Is anyone else here in my same position?  I'd rather do all my work on my desktops but do need an adequate laptop for the road.

johnnyandedgar Regular Member • Posts: 420
Re: Fast powerful desktop replacement

Check out one of the newer "Gaming" notebooks.

johnnyandedgar

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,191

toomanycanons wrote:

Meaning, a laptop I can take on the road and do the things my two photo computers do.

The specs for the desktops aren't earth shattering but they get the job done:

1) I5-8400 which can give me a steady 3.9 GHz all day

2) 32 GB 3000 DDR4 ram

3) GTX 1050ti, although that doesn't play much of a roll

It's the fact I can steadily burn through the folders I need processing in LR6/CS5 and most importantly PT Gui 11.3 all day with no slowdowns unless you want to factor in the tendonitis in my right forearm!

My two current laptops (Lenovo T430 and W520) are completely inadequate. I need a laptop I can work on while on the road with the same efficiency as I do at home.

I'll be plugged in at a library when I would be doing on-the-road processing so long battery power isn't crucial.

I figure that the fastest cpu I can get along with 32 GB should be a good start but I'm sure there are many items on the "they don't tell you this but..." list.

Like any powerful laptop cpu throttling back because of heat therefore robbing me of my much needed high cpu frequency.

Yes, happens a lot when a laptop's cooling system can't cope with the fastest CPUs and GPUs.

Or maybe laptop ram behaving differently than desktop ram. Or any of many other things I wouldn't know about.

Is anyone else here in my same position? I'd rather do all my work on my desktops but do need an adequate laptop for the road.

It's good that you're considering factors like cooling; some don't, and end up with unsuitable PCs.

For what you've said, I suggest looking into the mobile workstations from the major manufacturers. These machines often give the buyer more choices in configuring them than ordinary laptops.

Here's a place to start looking:

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/361099/the-best-mobile-workstations

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
OP toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 13,280
This must be a question with hardly anyone having the same needs

I tried this question over on a laptop forum and got zip as well from anyone who had gone through buying a powerful computer with basically the same needs as me.

Most reviews have been "well, if you need a laptop this powerful it's going to wind up being your desktop computer anyway so just get a desktop".  Like carrying a 7 pound laptop is some big workout or something.  Oh well...

DVT80111 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,763
Icelake

You may want to wait for the new Icelake that will come out this fall. It's boast a single thread score of 5800 which is as good as the i7-9700k and better than AMD 3900.

But do not take the thin and light as it will be throttled down all the time.

Another benefit is it is instant on from sleep, and battery last 9 hrs.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T30
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,115

How much are you willing to spend, and how much do you really want to carry? I have an older 6700K/GTX 1080 version of this laptop for work (3D Modeling/CAD). It's an absolute beast, but the power brick alone weights more than many 13" laptops. It's basically a laptop stuffed with desktop components...not the wimpy mobile CPUs. But if you want one computer to rule them all, this is as good as it gets. You can configure it with anything from an i5 9500K (desktop version) and a GTX 2060 on up. Their pricing is actually decent for the components they put inside. Not cheap, but compared to say, a Dell workstation laptop, they're a downright bargain.

And yes, the cooling can handle these CPUs without throttling.  But they sound like a jet engine at full load.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14681/the-eurocom-sky-x7c-clevo-p775tm1g-gaming-laptop-review-true-desktop-replacement

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +12 more
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,191
Re: This must be a question with hardly anyone having the same needs

toomanycanons wrote:

I tried this question over on a laptop forum and got zip as well from anyone who had gone through buying a powerful computer with basically the same needs as me.

Most reviews have been "well, if you need a laptop this powerful it's going to wind up being your desktop computer anyway so just get a desktop". Like carrying a 7 pound laptop is some big workout or something. Oh well...

Actually, I think quite a few users have needs similar to yours, but the common thinner-and-lighter trend has kept many from understanding the tradeoffs involved. I've seen a lot of complaints from buyers of high-spec laptops that aren't getting the performance they expected.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
John Brewton Contributing Member • Posts: 756

My six year old HP crapped out while on vacation. I also have a 15” MacBook Pro which i tried to make work as the replacement. Some people are Mac people and some are PC. I found out the hard way that there is no way a Mac is going to work for me.

So I have ordered a 32 GB with 2 TB memory and 512 GB boot drive. This should do the trick.

-- hide signature --

www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com

John Brewton's gear list:John Brewton's gear list
Leica M9-P Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
supersargas Regular Member • Posts: 450

i would look for a portable computer oriented to a development/investigation or design profile, and nothing else. i dont have much info about laptops save for that, and my "no stuff marketed for gamers" rule of thumb. good luck.

calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,429
Mobile Workstation

What you have described is what is referred to as a "mobile workstation".

PCconnection.com has long serviced the commercial and corporate markets and is the best place to find these power machines.

https://www.connection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Search?CatId=204430&SearchType=2

They have 158 computers with 17" displays and options for i7 or Xeon processors.

-- hide signature --

"The Puritans left England for America not because they couldn't be Puritans in their mother country, but because they were not allowed to force others to become Puritans; in the New World, of course, they could and did." - Gore Vidal

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads