Panasonic GH1 manual focus with legacy lenses

Started 2 months ago | Questions
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 15,575
Panasonic GH1 manual focus with legacy lenses

Have just ordered an M42 to m4/3 adapter (non-electronic). Obviously, there will be no manual focus-by-wire, duh! Less obviously, it seems that live view can not be magnified unless a "proper" focus-by-wire lens is used - i.e. legacy lens means no magnified view.

Is that correct or is there some procedure that I haven't discovered in the manual?

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 +17 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DidierDCH Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Re: Panasonic GH1 manual focus with legacy lenses

On my DMC-G1, when in MF, you can press the left arrow on the four-way controller then press the center button to activate live view magnification.

With an adapted lens, though, you may first need to activate « shoot without lens » (found in the Custom menu on the G1).

HTH - Didier

DidierDCH's gear list:DidierDCH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
xpatUSA
OP xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 15,575

DidierDCH wrote:

On my DMC-G1, when in MF, you can press the left arrow on the four-way controller then press the center button to activate live view magnification.

With an adapted lens, though, you may first need to activate « shoot without lens » (found in the Custom menu on the G1).

HTH - Didier

Thank you Didier!

When my adapter arrives, I'll give it a try ...

... I also have a G1 so I'll try that first, then the GH1.

Once again, thank you.

-- hide signature --

Ted

Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 +17 more
Caledonia Regular Member • Posts: 159

If those cameras have a "digital teleconverter" feature, it might be possible to assign that to a button, and toggle it on and off as needed -- that's a technique used by some of the wildlife shooters here.  If shooting raw, it might be best to test the feature to see if raw images are affected when it is on. Best guess, they aren't, but it's always worth a check.

xpatUSA
OP xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 15,575

DidierDCH wrote:

HTH - Didier

Got the adapter today and tried your method with a Pentax Takumar 24mm lens.

It worked very well, thanks again for the advice.

-- hide signature --

Ted

DidierDCH Contributing Member • Posts: 507

xpatUSA wrote:

Got the adapter today and tried your method with a Pentax Takumar 24mm lens.

It worked very well, thanks again for the advice.

Glad to hear it worked. Have fun shooting!

Didier

DidierDCH's gear list:DidierDCH's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads