Digging Up The Past....

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Lin Evans
Lin Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 17,650
Digging Up The Past....

A shot from my old SD10 of my pup Ruby today.  Used the 80-400 OS hand-held at about 215mm.  54+ megapixel upsize below.

Best regards,

Lin

54 meg uprez with Topaz AI Gigapixel...

Sigma SD10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 15,704
Re: Digging Up The Past....

Lin Evans wrote:

A shot from my old SD10 of my pup Ruby today. Used the 80-400 OS hand-held at about 215mm. 54+ megapixel upsize below.

Best regards,

Lin

Wow!!

Four times the width (2268x4 = 9072).

And good for 20"x30" at 300ppi with no up-sizing by the print driver ...

... picture ain't bad either.

What do you think, Scott? 408MP from your H, hmmm ...

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 +17 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 13,848

xpatUSA wrote:

Lin Evans wrote:

A shot from my old SD10 of my pup Ruby today. Used the 80-400 OS hand-held at about 215mm. 54+ megapixel upsize below.

Best regards,

Lin

Wow!!

That works.

Too bad we couldn't take our Merrills and Quattros back in time with us to get those old photos in today's high-res, huh Lin? I guess it doesn't really matter though. A photo of Ruby is a photo os Ruby, whether it's high-res or not. I think landscapes are different though, especially if you're going to print really big. I have a photo of the Biltmore, which I scaled up, but I plan to go back and shoot that place again anyway, because I'm sure my SD Quattro H will capture more detail.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
xpatUSA

Scottelly wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Lin Evans wrote:

Best regards,

Lin

Wow!!

That works.

Too bad we couldn't take our Merrills and Quattros back in time with us to get those old photos in today's high-res, huh Lin? I guess it doesn't really matter though. A photo of Ruby is a photo os Ruby, whether it's high-res or not. I think landscapes are different though, especially if you're going to print really big.

Well, 408MP gets you about 55"x80" at 300ppi, Scott, not too far off your recently mooted 60x90. So how big is "really big"? ...

I have a photo of the Biltmore, which I scaled up, but I plan to go back and shoot that place again anyway, because I'm sure my SD Quattro H will capture more detail.

-- hide signature --

Ted

Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD15 +17 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 13,848

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Lin Evans wrote:

Best regards,

Lin

Wow!!

That works.

Too bad we couldn't take our Merrills and Quattros back in time with us to get those old photos in today's high-res, huh Lin? I guess it doesn't really matter though. A photo of Ruby is a photo os Ruby, whether it's high-res or not. I think landscapes are different though, especially if you're going to print really big.

Well, 408MP gets you about 55"x80" at 300ppi, Scott, not too far off your recently mooted 60x90. So how big is "really big"? ...

Well, THAT is really big Ted. I was thinking about the details in a photo after scaling it up to a much larger size. I'd actually like to see this photo of Ruby in a 24" x 36" print. Most of it would just be blurry though, as only Ruby's face is in focus.

Here's a photo from the past that I wish was more detailed:

I printed that one at 24" x 36" and I wasn't happy with the detail in it. I think that was a result of a number of factors - lens, sensor, and focus.

I have a photo of the Biltmore, which I scaled up, but I plan to go back and shoot that place again anyway, because I'm sure my SD Quattro H will capture more detail.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
xpatUSA

Scottelly wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Scottelly wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Lin Evans wrote:

Best regards,

Lin

Wow!!

That works.

Well, THAT is really big Ted. I was thinking about the details in a photo after scaling it up to a much larger size. I'd actually like to see this photo of Ruby in a 24" x 36" print. Most of it would just be blurry though, as only Ruby's face is in focus.

Here's a photo from the past that I wish was more detailed:

I printed that one at 24" x 36" and I wasn't happy with the detail in it. I think that was a result of a number of factors - lens, sensor, and focus.

So as not to hijack Lin's thread and so staying on the subject of AI Gigapixel, you could get 12,000x7,976px (95.7MP in your terms) from that.

Looks like you focused on the cockpit quite well (some jaggies on the steering wheel) I'd say a bit of de-convolution would be quite beneficial, detail-wise. Shame to scrap what looks like a perfectly good shot ...

-- hide signature --

Ted

Lin Evans
OP Lin Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 17,650
Thanks...

Lin Evans wrote:

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the feedback.  Topaz AI Gigapixel really loves Foveon files and it's nice to be able, at least with some subjects, to know that one can print about any size desired even from the old SD9, SD14, 15 and SD10.  I just love the clarity and lack of halos with these early model Sigmas and dig them out every once in awhile to play and to keep the little internal batteries charged.  With the newer long focal length telephoto bridge cameras such as the Nikon P900 and P1000 I forget how danged heavy the old lenses were. I may have to start lifting some weights to be able to carry around my older and longer lenses - LOL

Best regards,

Lin

xpatUSA

xpatUSA wrote:

Looks like you focused on the cockpit quite well (some jaggies on the steering wheel) I'd say a bit of de-convolution would be quite beneficial, detail-wise. Shame to scrap what looks like a perfectly good shot ...

Ho ho, RT to the rescue:

G'nite, Scott ...

-- hide signature --

Ted

MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 16,324

Nice Lin...I have several from my SD9 and SD10 with the 80-400 that I have blown up above 20x30.  Close-in shots.

Great capture of the dog.

Gate bois Senior Member • Posts: 1,461

xpatUSA wrote:

Lin Evans wrote:

Best regards,

Lin

Wow!!

It seems rather to be interpolated to 55MP, the photo at a resolution of 9072 x 6048.

-- hide signature --

Paris - La Defense at 78.5Mpix:
http://www.noelbilly.eu/

DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 21,283

Gate bois wrote:

xpatUSA wrote:

Lin Evans wrote:

Best regards,

Lin

Wow!!

It seems rather to be interpolated to 55MP, the photo at a resolution of 9072 x 6048.

Ted's suggestion is to upscale H shots by the same factor.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads