Olympus reliability?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Charley123 Contributing Member • Posts: 774
Re: Olympus reliability?

nick779 wrote:

Over the few years ive been a member and lurking here. Panasonic lenses are by far the biggest offender when it comes to poor reliability.

Especially when it comes to repairing Panasonic Leica anything.

As for Oly reliability, I had an issue with the detection switch on my EM10.2. It was fixed in a week by Precision Camera under warranty. Never an issue after.

Right on. Most Panasonic lenses I have owned are great most of time, but I have had some issue with P20mm (like I previously posted about) and with P7-14mm too. Even so, I love the P20mm (my second one I bought after 1st one crapped out).

Batteries can give issues, but that's same for all camera brands, and IME is usually the result of improper storage (like I previously posted about).

I've not had any issues with my Panasonic Leica 15mm lens. It's been great. It was my first Panasonic 20mm and my Panasonic Zeiss 7-14mm. Yes Zeiss because they designed it.

I've never had a single issue with an Olympus lens.

Are Oly lenses are better than Pan lenses? I don't think so, but it does suggest that Oly lenses are better on Oly cameras. I wonder if Pan lenses are better on Pan cameras?

KrisSkov New Member • Posts: 5

Hiya

Just another "Don't worry" post. I have been using Oly back in the Film days (OM-20) which worked very reliably. Then in Digital I have had first the EM-P 1 and now the OM-D 10 Mark 1 + 4 Oly lenses. I take it out everywhere just in my pocket, use it and abuse it with Panny lenses, go sailing and everything. So far I have not encountered any issue. Software have worked as expected, upgrades of firmware gone smooth. Only annoyance is the use of a odd USB connector on the old Oly

Br Kris

KrisSkov's gear list:KrisSkov's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +13 more
jackkurtz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,601

Everybody has a different experience with their equipment. With a single exception, I've found my Olympus gear to be very reliable. The exception was when I had E-P5s and the well documented issue of the control wheels not always working properly. My E-M1 Mark II bodies (and E-M5 Mark II before them) have been bulletproof. Far more reliable than my Canon gear was before I switched to Oly. I had 3 Canon 5D Mark III bodies, and I was constantly rotating them in and out of the shop for various repairs.

-- hide signature --
 jackkurtz's gear list:jackkurtz's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +5 more
Smith-64 Regular Member • Posts: 305
That's why I buy new

Because then I know all the history. I've owned three film cameras and two digital cameras. Of my 12 fifty year old 1/2 lenses 2 have mount lubricants creep, the rest are fine. Both my E 620 and my EM1.2 are fully functional. Of my 7 digital lenses only the 4/3 25 f2.8 has failed and since I hadn't used it in 4 years didn't bother fixing. Drop tested the 4/3 40-150 from waist high and it works like a charm.

A. C.

Smith-64's gear list:Smith-64's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +1 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,730

User2416478959 wrote:

Ok the reason i bought it up was because i got a s/h hand Em 5/ on Friday last , it only had.a 300 shutter count, got him it home played about for a few hours and it developed a fault . I have taken it back in for repair rather than get a refund because , in my opinion , I should get back a camera that has its faults ironed out for half the price of a new model, l hope. Still it makes me wonder about their reliability

I think that you are right to do this.

I have not heard much about issues with the E-M5 but the EM-1 seems to be well known for its issues with faulty wheels, evf sunburn and strap lugs that pulled out of the camera body - not much else goes wrong as far as my experience and the mentions on the forum have indicated.

I put this down to some sort of QC issue caused by the need to get product on to the market in a hurry after their known financial issues.  In any case the problems seem to have quietened after a while - I presume that later made may have had the bugs sorted out.

Their lenses on the other hand seem to be ultra reliable.  Panasonic’s also except the 100-400 seems to have had some issues.  Possibly because this “made for adventurous use in open air” lens gets some adventurous use in open air.

Panasonic camera bodies all seem to be quite rugged and reliable - with the caveat that all camera bodies can play up if they lead a rugged life.

Quixotically Olympus gets quite a lot of praise for its repair centres whilst Panasonic whose gear might be more reliable over all gets a lower rating.  Maybe that in itself says something.  I personally prefer gear that does not really need warranty support no matter how good that support might be.

I don’t have an E-M5 myself but from the chat on this site those that do own that camera body seem to be very happy with them.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,730
Re: Olympus market share

Eric Nepean wrote:

Keep in mind that Olympus's M43 market share is sgnificantly bigger than Panasonic's.

Are we sure that this is right Eric?

Pansonic has released 18 new camera bodies over the last three years so far (including 3x L-Mount bodies) compared to Olympus’ 5 new bodies.

They must be selling an awful lot of E-M1ii bodies to have more current market share than Panasonic - even if you hive off L-Mount.

Even with the same failure rate, you should see at least twice as many failure reports from Olympus owners.

The complaint rate overall is quite low.

The biggest issue is that Panasonic customer service for spare parts and repairs varies from acceptable to just plain awful, depending on where you live; whereas Olympus's customer service is generally pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 4,481
Re: Olympus market share

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Eric Nepean wrote:

Keep in mind that Olympus's M43 market share is sgnificantly bigger than Panasonic's.

Are we sure that this is right Eric?

Pansonic has released 18 new camera bodies over the last three years so far (including 3x L-Mount bodies) compared to Olympus’ 5 new bodies.

They must be selling an awful lot of E-M1ii bodies to have more current market share than Panasonic - even if you hive off L-Mount.

Good Comment, Tom.

On top of this we have Olympus restructuring is manufacturing.

I'm pretty sure this was true about 2 years ago, and in the years preceeding that. I'm pretty sure I've seen data that showed that Panasonic had a share of the ILC market that less than one half that of Olympus (since in that period they weree both only in the M43 ILC market, that translates to Panasonic having less than 1/3 of the M43 market)

Before posting I tried to find some current data but was unable to do so.

Even with the same failure rate, you should see at least twice as many failure reports from Olympus owners.

The complaint rate overall is quite low.

The biggest issue is that Panasonic customer service for spare parts and repairs varies from acceptable to just plain awful, depending on where you live; whereas Olympus's customer service is generally pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads