Olympus: saving to new sub-folders within the DCIM folder?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Tango 55 Regular Member • Posts: 488
Olympus: saving to new sub-folders within the DCIM folder?

Hi All,

Going on vacation with my E-M10 MkII and without a computer, I would like to create a new folder within the DCIM folder for each day of shooting. Is there a way of doing this? I don't see an option to change the default name of the 105OLYMP folder where each raw file resides.

Just in case you wonder why I need this: I got a RavPower FileHub, which is a neat device for SD-to-USB (flash drive) backup without a computer, but unfortunately it doesn't do incremental backups. It comes with a decent Android app in which I could select the individual pictures I want to back up from each day, but that's not ideal.

Searching the web and this forum I can't find almost any information on this topic.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ricky

Tango 55's gear list:Tango 55's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-A1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AussiePhil Contributing Member • Posts: 579
Re: Olympus: saving to new sub-folders within the DCIM folder?

Tango 55 wrote:

Hi All,

Going on vacation with my E-M10 MkII and without a computer, I would like to create a new folder within the DCIM folder for each day of shooting. Is there a way of doing this? I don't see an option to change the default name of the 105OLYMP folder where each raw file resides.

The folder naming is set and the camera will write 10k files before automagically creating a new folder incremented by 1

Just in case you wonder why I need this: I got a RavPower FileHub, which is a neat device for SD-to-USB (flash drive) backup without a computer, but unfortunately it doesn't do incremental backups. It comes with a decent Android app in which I could select the individual pictures I want to back up from each day, but that's not ideal.

Most of these devices will create a new folder each time you insert the card ..... you end up with a lot of dups on the disk if you don't format the card each time... doesn't this device do that.

Searching the web and this forum I can't find almost any information on this topic.

there was a thread here not more than a few days back.... buggered if i can find it though

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ricky

More info here - https://www.howtogeek.com/204228/why-does-every-camera-put-photos-in-a-dcim-folder/

-- hide signature --

Cheers and best wishes
Phil
Galleries at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/byphilg/

OP Tango 55 Regular Member • Posts: 488

Most of these devices will create a new folder each time you insert the card ..... you end up with a lot of dups on the disk if you don't format the card each time... doesn't this device do that.

That's the case with this device. Needless to say, if I format the SD card each day, I end up with no back up but a single storage location, which is what I'm trying to avoid. A good solution to the problem might be to save all files from the SD card each day, and then delete the backed-up up folder from the day before. This would work, except for taking longer each day.

there was a thread here not more than a few days back.... buggered if i can find it though

I saw the one on file naming after formatting the SD card, if that's the one you remember. I use the "Auto" setting, which prevents having duplicate file names.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ricky

More info here - https://www.howtogeek.com/204228/why-does-every-camera-put-photos-in-a-dcim-folder/

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers,

Ricky

Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-A1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,237

Indeed you can backup files selectively through the Android file manager (some good native one or there are a lot of free good stuff on Play Store).

I do it once a day or every 2 days during my trip. I used a <US$2 OTG USB SD card reader, a not new Android phone and a few 64Gb USB Flash Drives as back up devices for the 32Gb SD cards I am using. I am investigating the possibility (including cost efficiency) on using those 500Gb SSD external USB HDD.

Just look at the name of the last file you copied onto your phone (or on any devices they were copied), and pick all files after that would be done.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more

Tango 55 wrote:

That's the case with this device. Needless to say, if I format the SD card each day, I end up with no back up but a single storage location, which is what I'm trying to avoid. A good solution to the problem might be to save all files from the SD card each day, and then delete the backed-up up folder from the day before. This would work, except for taking longer each day.

Your original idea was going to take longer each day if that is how the device works.

only delete the oldest folder set on the device once you need space.

All this assumes you were never going to fill the SD card up whilst on holidays

I saw the one on file naming after formatting the SD card, if that's the one you remember. I use the "Auto" setting, which prevents having duplicate file names.

Nah it was a different one but that one is relevant as well

One thing is once you get a new DCIM folder as in 105xxxx to 106xxxx the file numbering resets to file00000 -> file99999 meaning you get duplicate names in different folders

now you should check how the device handles this, do files end up in a single day directory or is the dcim folder retained as well

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ricky

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers,

Ricky

exactly how you handle this will depend on the SD card size, Disk size and the number of images you might end up with.

-- hide signature --

Cheers and best wishes
Phil
Galleries at

kbouk
kbouk Regular Member • Posts: 257

Tango 55 wrote:

Hi All,

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ricky

Try menu H1 (Record /Erase), setting :

• Assign Save Folder:
    • Allows you to create and “save to” folders so you can organize images within your card.
-- hide signature --

Cheers
Costas

kbouk's gear list:kbouk's gear list
Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +17 more
JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 6,074

With the E-M1 MkII you can create and select user folders in-camera. See manual p.132.

Doubt that this facility is available on lower priced/earlier model cameras. I know my E-M1 MkI doesn't have this facility.

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +28 more

JaKing wrote:

With the E-M1 MkII you can create and select user folders in-camera. See manual p.132.

Doubt that this facility is available on lower priced/earlier model cameras. I know my E-M1 MkI doesn't have this facility.

The EM1X allows it as well but it's not an option in the EM10mk2 based on the user manual, hence why i didn't mention it in the first reply

-- hide signature --

Cheers and best wishes
Phil
Galleries at

JaKing wrote:

Yes, I though of taking the E-M1 MkII with me, but I decided against it because of its additional weight. I'll be walking many hours a day, so I must take weight into consideration. Also important: I simply love the E-M10 MkII... 

Ricky

alcelc wrote:

Indeed you can backup files selectively through the Android file manager (some good native one or there are a lot of free good stuff on Play Store).

I do it once a day or every 2 days during my trip. I used a <US$2 OTG USB SD card reader, a not new Android phone and a few 64Gb USB Flash Drives as back up devices for the 32Gb SD cards I am using. I am investigating the possibility (including cost efficiency) on using those 500Gb SSD external USB HDD.

Just look at the name of the last file you copied onto your phone (or on any devices they were copied), and pick all files after that would be done.

Yes, I'll simply select the files to backup each day from the SD card. I rarely take more than 200 pictures a day, so it's not the end of the world to select the ones from the last day or two.

For your reference, I'm also using 32GB SD cards, and a 128GB USB flash drive. I looked into the 500GB and 1TB SSDs, but I don't need so much capacity, so I went for the tiny USB drive.

Cheers,

Ricky

kbouk wrote:

Tango 55 wrote:

Hi All,

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Ricky

Try menu H1 (Record /Erase), setting :

• Assign Save Folder:
    • Allows you to create and “save to” folders so you can organize images within your card.

I think you are not taking about the 10MkII...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads