The Raccoon dog says MarkII is better than EMIX?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Lauri Mantere
Lauri Mantere Regular Member • Posts: 157
The Raccoon dog says MarkII is better than EMIX?

Hi All

I have owned EMIX's now just over half a year with MarkII and I think that the old MarkII is by all means a better camera than EM1X. In particular, the focusing is more reliable with new FW 3.1.

I think the lynx agrees it and that's why he's hiding

Regards

Lauri

Lauri Mantere's gear list:Lauri Mantere's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +7 more
mikero Senior Member • Posts: 1,119
Re: The Raccoon dog says MarkII is better than EMIX?

Very nice images. 

But just to be clear, you're not saying the focusing is better on the E-M1.2 with FW3.1 than on the E-M1X, are you?

Mike

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
Lauri Mantere
OP Lauri Mantere Regular Member • Posts: 157

mikero wrote:

Very nice images.

But just to be clear, you're not saying the focusing is better on the E-M1.2 with FW3.1 than on the E-M1X, are you?

Mike

Yes. I miss a lot more images with EM1X than MarkII

Lauri

Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +7 more
Jouko Senior Member • Posts: 1,662

Great shots and beautiful colors!

Cheers!

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
https://www.instagram.com/jouko.k.lehto/
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/ - Lenses for mFT-cameras
https://joukolehto.blogspot.fi/2015/12/what-to-dowith-camera-during-winter.html

Lauri Mantere

With an area of 338,424 km² and a population only of 5.7 million people, Finland can easily accommodate 2,500 lynxes.

Lynx litters have been observed at those red spots in 2018.

Only in Lapland there are no lynxs as it is a reindeer herding area and the reindeer mens shoot them all!

Lauri

Lauri Mantere wrote:

mikero wrote:

Very nice images.

Mike

Yes. I miss a lot more images with EM1X than MarkII

Lauri

Any idea why that might be? In what way are you missing the images?

Apart from the AI modes, I was under the impression that the AF systems were now pretty similar.

Mike

Sony a6000 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +5 more
cangopluto Senior Member • Posts: 1,353

terrific shots. But I wonder what the cam has to do with anything ...

Right photog in the right place at the right time...

cangopluto's gear list:cangopluto's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-500 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Lauri Mantere

mikero wrote:

Apart from the AI modes, I was under the impression that the AF systems were now pretty similar.

Mike

AF-S small single point  is given more than 20% back focused shots from dark mammals like Mooses or bears. Mark II is giving with same setups almost 99% pin sharp images.

Before FW 3.1 Mark II was lot worse than EM1X, now it's lot better 

Waiting for new FW 2.0 to EM1X.

Lauri

Lauri Mantere wrote:

mikero wrote:

Mike

AF-S small single point is given more than 20% back focused shots from dark mammals like Mooses or bears. Mark II is giving with same setups almost 99% pin sharp images.

Lauri

Thanks for posting your findings.

I have both cameras but since getting the E-M1X I've been using that exclusively for wildlife photography (mostly birds), and use the E-M1.2 'general photography' or where I want to travel light.  Consequently I've not used my E-M1.2 for nature shots since upgrading to FW3.1.  I must give it a try.

I wonder if others share your experiences.

Mike

Lauri Mantere

mikero wrote:

Thanks for posting your findings.

I have both cameras but since getting the E-M1X I've been using that exclusively for wildlife photography (mostly birds), and use the E-M1.2 'general photography' or where I want to travel light. Consequently I've not used my E-M1.2 for nature shots since upgrading to FW3.1. I must give it a try.

I wonder if others share your experiences.

Mike

I think so. I Have spoked for this similar problem with few my friends who owns both cameras.

This pair of pictures are best explains for the situation.

Lauri

PS. The Lynx was taken from those bushes on the background where it wandered every evening.

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,885

Lauri Mantere wrote:

mikero wrote:

Mike

AF-S small single point is given more than 20% back focused shots from dark mammals like Mooses or bears. Mark II is giving with same setups almost 99% pin sharp images.

Lauri

Interesting and valuable input, Lauri.

Having only demo'd the M1X and recently updating my M1iis to FW3.1, I can only report the new FW has significantly improved the older camera, in ways obvious and subtle. C-AF is more responsive and accurate. I'm also appreciating the 5x5 AF pattern. I certainly had no complaints about the X during my limited time with it, but no owner feedback with extended use.

Your light and setting are both wonderful, and those racoon dogs unlike anything I'll see here in N America.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 3,947
Firmware updates

No text.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more

Hi Lauri

Do you recall what sensitivity you were using?

Mike

Lauri Mantere

mikero wrote:

Hi Lauri

Mike

That's not the point, both cameras have same set ups -2. I've tried other options but this seems to be the best.

Lauri Mantere wrote:

mikero wrote:

Hi Lauri

Mike

That's not the point, both cameras have same set ups -2. I've tried other options but this seems to be the best.

Sounds the right setting to me for this sort of subject. Just trying to find an explanation for differences of AF.

Mike

Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 1,901

These are wonderfully clear images, despite some of them having a higher ISO. Congrats on these captures, and thank you for sharing.

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
Gwynedd
Gwynedd Regular Member • Posts: 241

Wow, simply fantastic images. What did you use to denoise these? At iso 1250 I would think it would be visible but they are all totally clean!

-- hide signature --

- 'Taking pictures is savouring life intensely every hundredth of a second'. Marc Riboud
-"Deus Vult" (referring to IBIS) - Me

Gwynedd's gear list:Gwynedd's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony RX1R II Olympus PEN-F Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +5 more
Lauri Mantere

Gwynedd wrote:

Wow, simply fantastic images. What did you use to denoise these? At iso 1250 I would think it would be visible but they are all totally clean!

Lightroom like this:

https://gregbenzphotography.com/photography-tips/how-to-reduce-noise-in-photoshop?__s=gsard4eps813aqmnsvpj&utm_source=drip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Advanced+Noise+Reduction+in+Photoshop

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 33,320

No, I think the little guy thinks otherwise, hence him blowing a raspberry at you.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more

Thanks for posting this link.  It's been an educational morning. 

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads