Any one using RX100 as a second camera

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
zeitlos Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: RX100 VI/VII

scrane wrote:

rx100 iii @ 45mm eq f8

Lucky for me I had the 16.62 mm zoom mounted because there was no room to zoom with my feet.

You need no APS-C sensor for that kind of shots. You obviously missed the point I was making. It wasn’t about taking every picture that is possible. It was about making better pictures. That’s why I said it’s not everybody’s cup of tea.

tonyz1 Regular Member • Posts: 420

Carlo UK wrote:

What you have a Batis lens fitted to the RX100 ?

Ha no! Sony A7R III + Batis 25

tonyz1's gear list:tonyz1's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +4 more

The GRIII delivers great image quality but the zoom range on the RX100 VI made it a keeper for me. I had a GRIII for a while because of the image quality but I'm getting far more use out of the RX100 VI than I ever did for the GRIII due to the zoom range - not personally a fan of 28mm - I like more compressed perspectives.

The sensor size does matter but if the op has a full frame sensor camera already, does adding an APS-C compact with a 28mm lens bring anything to the table that he can't do already?

sean lancaster wrote:

Yeah, that's right in line with my thinking. They're practically the same size with the GRIII being a tiny bit bigger, but also weighing less.

For some people, the zoom lens on the RX100 makes it very appealing. For others, the sensor size matters:

Sony a7R III Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +4 more
Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,846
Re: Any one using RX100 as a second camera

Here's a link to a thread I just posted with pics taken with the RX100. It's perfect for an arduous hike like this one.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62977471

-- hide signature --
 Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +10 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,404

tonyz1 wrote:

The sensor size does matter but if the op has a full frame sensor camera already, does adding an APS-C compact with a 28mm lens bring anything to the table that he can't do already?

Well, it brings to the table a big selling point of the RX100x cameras . . . a small size you can take everywhere. That's sort of the point.

But I agree with you in that the 28 focal length is not really my cup of tea. I took the FE 28 to China one trip and the RX1RII on another. Just that 7mm difference made the RX1RII much more desirable to me. But some people love 28, so there's that.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 3,094

Carlo UK wrote:

Hi

I have the A7RII and thinking of getting the RX100 VA as a camera to carry when I don't want/need the full frame. Ie beach, holiday, street photography. Any one else doing this and how does it perform

Ta Carlo

I recently took my RX100vi on my trip to Japan for two months. I took over 3500 photos with it. The image quality is great, but the ergonomics wasn't. I absolutely hated using it, and sold it a few weeks ago.

My copy of the RX100vi also suffered from the "self moving diopter" issue. I sent it into the authorised Sony repairer in Australia repackaged in my pristine original box (in case they sent me a new replacement camera as I requested), only to have it returned in a box that was scuffed and damaged (I won't make that mistake again).

When I complained to the retailer (DigDirect in Cannington Western Australia), they apologised but said they couldn't do anything about it other than give me extra discount on my next purchase. A few weeks later, I called on that "extra discount" when a 24mm GM came into stock. "Sorry, we can't discount that because it's in high demand".

I've since purchased a brand new a7iii and another brand new Zony 55mm, neither of which were purchased from DigiDirect. That's what happens when you screw your customers.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more

sean lancaster wrote:

tonyz1 wrote:

I don't really get it. Then the same can be said about the Sony RX. Anything that you can to with it that you can't do with a full frame sensor???

Well, it brings to the table a big selling point of the RX100x cameras . . . a small size you can take everywhere. That's sort of the point.

That brings to the table the big selling point of the GR as well. A small size you can take everywhere without compromising on image quality.

However, I fully understand if someone says that focal length is more important to him than image quality. A fixed lens of 28mm is not ideal for everyone. Obviously. You can set it to a slight crop mode of 35mm if this focal length appeals more to you.

Personally, I would have prefered 35mm as standard, but also Fuji goes with 28mm for their GR competitor.

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,404

zeitlos wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

tonyz1 wrote:

That brings to the table the big selling point of the GR as well. A small size you can take everywhere without compromising on image quality.

Yeah, that was my full point in response to tonyz1; though, I was implying it based on the discussion I was engaged in (e.g., see what tonyz1 quoted from my previous post showing their similar size). I guess I didn't make my point very well if you had to spell it out explicitly. Heh.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more

Well, I'm not a native speaker, so most likely it was my shortcomings rather than yours

Just a video I came across that (at least briefly) addresses the issue of limiting yourself to one focal length to be more creative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYZljDts1dk

zeitlos wrote:

That is indeed the biggest selling point of the GR but I decided the 28mm focal length was too limiting for it to be useful to me. The OOC Jpegs are also average and really require lightroom to get the best out of it.

However, I would argue that if you really like 28mm as a focal length, the best image quality per inch is the pixel 3 especially for lowlight.

This whole idea of limiting yourself to one focal length is also a bit of marketing BS. I like using primes for my full frame kit but having a zoom does open you up to more options with respect to photography especially where decisive action is required.

tonyz1 wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

That is indeed the biggest selling point of the GR but I decided the 28mm focal length was too limiting for it to be useful to me. The OOC Jpegs are also average and really require lightroom to get the best out of it.

However, I would argue that if you really like 28mm as a focal length, the best image quality per inch is the pixel 3 especially for lowlight.

This whole idea of limiting yourself to one focal length is also a bit of marketing BS. I like using primes for my full frame kit but having a zoom does open you up to more options with respect to photography especially where decisive action is required.

After my experience owning/using the RX100vi, I now value the user experience (ergonomics) more as a photographer. I recently purchased an "as new" secondhand first edition Fujifilm X100 (introduced in 2010). Only 12 megapixels APS-C sensor, and a 35mm (equivalent) f2 lens, but what a joy to use, I love the thing. It ain't always down to the tech specs, or the latest and greatest to enjoy photography.

Note: I still own and use my a7rii and a7iii.

Den

Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more

DenImage wrote:

tonyz1 wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

After my experience owning/using the RX100vi, I now value the user experience (ergonomics) more as a photographer. I recently purchased an "as new" secondhand first edition Fujifilm X100 (introduced in 2010). Only 12 megapixels APS-C sensor, and a 35mm (equivalent) f2 lens, but what a joy to use, I love the thing. It ain't always down to the tech specs, or the latest and greatest to enjoy photography.

Den

I agreement with your sentiment which is why the rx100 vi works so well for me. After I realized I didn’t care about the incremental sharpness of the Ricoh gr iii, I came to really appreciate the versatility of the rx100 vi paired with class leading af that’s even better on the new model. I suppose it’s a little hard to grip but it doesn’t bother me all that much - I mostly set it on aperture mode or auto. Not looking to think too hard with this camera - more focused on the photo opportunities with this camera.

This doesn’t replace my A7r iii and my Batis prime lenses but it’s a very useful addition.

tonyz1 wrote:

DenImage wrote:

tonyz1 wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

Den

I agreement with your sentiment which is why the rx100 vi works so well for me. After I realized I didn’t care about the incremental sharpness of the Ricoh gr iii, I came to really appreciate the versatility of the rx100 vi paired with class leading af that’s even better on the new model. I suppose it’s a little hard to grip but it doesn’t bother me all that much - I mostly set it on aperture mode or auto. Not looking to think too hard with this camera - more focused on the photo opportunities with this camera.

This doesn’t replace my A7r iii and my Batis prime lenses but it’s a very useful addition.

It wasn't just the small slippery finicky handling, it was the almost useless EVF in bright daylight. I had to constantly press my eye right up to it to try and block external light from leaking in through the sides, which then caused the EVF to smudge and actually fog up. I was constantly wiping and cleaning it to be able to see clearly through it.

Not to mention the diopter routinely moving itself due to the over sprung pop up EVF mechanism, and that's even after I sent it to Sony's authorised repairer in Australia, who replaced the entire viewfinder. It then had to go back again because when they replaced the EVF, they misaligned the refit. Absolutely useless, never again.

Don't get me wrong, it produces great shots with excellent image quality. It's just too small, slippery, and finicky to handle and has a terrible EVF design. I had absolutely no pleasure using it.

Den

DenImage wrote:

tonyz1 wrote:

DenImage wrote:

tonyz1 wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

Den

It wasn't just the small slippery finicky handling, it was the almost useless EVF in bright daylight. I had to constantly press my eye right up to it to try and block external light from leaking in through the sides, which then caused the EVF to smudge and actually fog up. I was constantly wiping and cleaning it to be able to see clearly through it.

Not to mention the diopter routinely moving itself due to the over sprung pop up EVF mechanism, and that's even after I sent it to Sony's authorised repairer in Australia, who replaced the entire viewfinder. It then had to go back again because when they replaced the EVF, they misaligned the refit. Absolutely useless, never again.

Don't get me wrong, it produces great shots with excellent image quality. It's just too small, slippery, and finicky to handle and has a terrible EVF design. I had absolutely no pleasure using it.

Den

yeah complete opposite of my experience with the rx100 series cameras and probably most owners since it is one of the best selling remaining point and shoots out there but if the Fuji works for you, that’s great.

tonyz1 wrote:

DenImage wrote:

tonyz1 wrote:

DenImage wrote:

tonyz1 wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

Den

Den

yeah complete opposite of my experience with the rx100 series cameras and probably most owners since it is one of the best selling remaining point and shoots out there but if the Fuji works for you, that’s great.

The self moving diopter issue is well reported here on the DPR forum. It's more prevalent since the new EVF design of the mark iv (pops up, then rear lens pops out). It's a poor design, but a lot of users have been using the "soft release" method to mitigate the issue (placing a finger over the EVF when it pops up), so users are just living with the design flaw.

The reason why I like the Fujifilm X100 is it's just simple to use as a point & shoot, and the dual optical/EVF system is a joy.

Den

DenImage wrote:

The self moving diopter issue is well reported here on the DPR forum. It's more prevalent since the new EVF design of the mark iv (pops up, then rear lens pops out). It's a poor design, but a lot of users have been using the "soft release" method to mitigate the issue (placing a finger over the EVF when it pops up), so users are just living with the design flaw.

The reason why I like the Fujifilm X100 is it's just simple to use as a point & shoot, and the dual optical/EVF system is a joy.

Den

I've read about this issue but does not affect my copy in any meaningful way that I can tell. Just checked my RX100 VI and yeah does not impact my usage of the EVF. Biggest negative I can say about the EVF is that it's small but that's ok since the whole point of the RX100 is compactness.

Personally, I'd take a RX100 over a Fuji X100 body camera any day since I value compactness, decisive AF, versatility and the ergonomics doesn't bother me at all but that's why we have choice in the marketplace.

Well "compactness" came at the expense of ergonomics and usability for me.

I'd highly suggest that anyone that is considering purchasing a current or recent model RX100, go to your nearest camera retailer and actually hold one to see how slippery and finicky it is to hold, and put your eye up to the EVF and see how much external lightleak you get then times it by ten when you use it in bright sunlight.

Then if you're still considering the purchase, open the box before paying, set the diopter, then pop the EVF up and down a few times to see if the diopter moves on its own.

Den

BluestravellerTX Forum Member • Posts: 88

Carlo UK wrote:

Hi

I have the A7RII and thinking of getting the RX100 VA as a camera to carry when I don't want/need the full frame. Ie beach, holiday, street photography. Any one else doing this and how does it perform

Ta Carlo

I use a similar combo, but I approached this from the other direction. I started with a RX100-III to use in conjunction with my Canon 6D and eventually replaced the 6D with an A7 R3. I've done some vacations exclusively with the RX100-III when I don't want to carry a lot of gear. And for the vacations where I'm carrying gear, it's a no-brainer to pack the RX100-III because it's so small and I will use it for exactly the reasons you point out.

BluestravellerTX's gear list:BluestravellerTX's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a7R III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +4 more
pcunnin Regular Member • Posts: 368

BluestravellerTX wrote:

Carlo UK wrote:

Hi

Ta Carlo

I use a similar combo, but I approached this from the other direction. I started with a RX100-III to use in conjunction with my Canon 6D and eventually replaced the 6D with an A7 R3. I've done some vacations exclusively with the RX100-III when I don't want to carry a lot of gear. And for the vacations where I'm carrying gear, it's a no-brainer to pack the RX100-III because it's so small and I will use it for exactly the reasons you point out.

I used an RX100 III on a vacation and I found it inconvenient to pull out and use, and it was one more thing to think about where while traveling it’s easy to lose small things (at least for me) since you have to use your brain a lot for figuring stuff out.

Personally I sold it and use my phone now while traveling, Iphone XR. It might be better cost wise to invest in a good phone for traveling especially since a lot of phones now come with telephoto lenses.

After testing I found the RX100 pics to be pretty similar to phone pics, I carry my micro 4/3 for traveling, which I don’t care about losing since it’s even cheaper somehow than an RX100.

scrane
scrane Senior Member • Posts: 1,935

I am not in the habit of carrying around my phone in my hand so for me it's not any harder to retrieve my rx100 vs my phone. I like the flexibility of a real zoom and the zoom on my rx100 iii is really good. In most situations the viewfinder is a valuable alternative to a screen, and if needed the screen on the rx100 can be tilted to best effect.  I can also save up to a zillion photos without worrying about memory space when shooting in RAW. For me using a real camera is just a more satisfying experience. Obviously, camera users are in the minority in today's world.

scrane's gear list:scrane's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Sony a7R II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads