Any one using RX100 as a second camera

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Reto B
Reto B Senior Member • Posts: 1,114
Re: Any one using RX100 as a second camera

Carlo UK wrote:

I downloaded some RAWs and imported to LR and simulated some editing. Admittedly they weren't particularly bright images but I am having some concerns about image quality and noise. The dynamic range seemed ok but beginning to think I may not be happy with it. Contemplating getting an A7 body since the price is now the same. Defeats a pocketable camera though. Ill find some more RAWs and make my mind up

Carlo

I had a RX10III as complement to my A7RII for 17 months (similar 1" sensor as the RX100 series) but wasn't happy with it at all due to the limitations of the tiny sensor, especially ISO performance and lack of details. Therefore I sold it (with a big loss) because I was tired of sacrificing IQ to more convenience and upgraded the A7RII to the III instead.

If interested you may look at my comparison. Though the RX10III is a different camera the shortcomings are comparable: https://spark.adobe.com/page/HdHSKdIPSwsA9/

Reto B's gear list:Reto B's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +7 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,405

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

mikedelderfield wrote:

I'm sure you're right.....I was going to wait till the vii gets released, and see if the earlier models come down in price much....

I fancy the extra reach of the vi but the wider aperture of the va, unfortunately can't have both!

Bluntly, if you're going to shoot at night at all, get the VA. f/1.8 is merely terrible ISO's. f/2.8 is unusable.

The 1-inch sensor shows its failures from the get-go, and dropping off ISO 125 gets terrible fast.

This thread got me thinking. I used to take my A7RII everywhere, every time. But I also came to realize that my unplanned shots were often less than stellar. I would much rather take time get good shots and shoot far fewer shots, plus, carrying the camera that size since the 2013 wore on me. But if I am not taking it with me all the time, then perhaps I should consider an RX100 camera?

So, I visited Flickr. I went into a larger group for the RX100 VI camera with thousands of photos. I scanned through them. 95% or more are in good light. These images can look really nice. I looked at the lower light images. The people quickly turn to plastic and detail is lost. I am sure the RX100 cameras can beat my camera phone in lower light, but in really good light, and for posting to Instagram or Facebook, the camera phone is fine. That's sort of where I am now. And it's always with me. The RX100 cameras just don't have a use in my workflow. I don't see the RX100 replacing the fine art photography I try and capture with the A7RII, for example. In good light, it's possible to produce great art with the RX100 cameras, sure. But I would only be carrying it with me on the off chance I get lucky. Nearly every image I have sold, I planned to capture it, so the "lucky" part was never lucky. Heh. So, no, no RX100 for me. Perhaps an RX1RIII if one emerges, though. Heh.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
poipoipoi_2016 Regular Member • Posts: 456

Carlo UK wrote:

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

mikedelderfield wrote:

I'm sure you're right.....I was going to wait till the vii gets released, and see if the earlier models come down in price much....

I fancy the extra reach of the vi but the wider aperture of the va, unfortunately can't have both!

Bluntly, if you're going to shoot at night at all, get the VA. f/1.8 is merely terrible ISO's. f/2.8 is unusable.

The 1-inch sensor shows its failures from the get-go, and dropping off ISO 125 gets terrible fast.

I downloaded some RAWs and imported to LR and simulated some editing. Admittedly they weren't particularly bright images but I am having some concerns about image quality and noise. The dynamic range seemed ok but beginning to think I may not be happy with it. Contemplating getting an A7 body since the price is now the same. Defeats a pocketable camera though. Ill find some more RAWs and make my mind up

Carlo

So for the record, I took mine up Half Dome, which was about the heaviest thing I'd really want to take up Half Dome, if that makes any sense?

Dynamic Range is a problem, base image quality is alright, and then you NOTICE hard when you drop ISO's.

Me screwing up f/10.  I cropped out the bottom third and this is in 4*6 size at work.

30 second moonbow exposure off a Gorillapod

I don't have the awesome flower shot on this laptop, so here's a backup macro shot of a leaf.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
tonyz1 Regular Member • Posts: 423
RX100 VI/VII

I use the RX100 VI as my zoom lens and use Batis prime lenses. The RX100 VI fills the gaps. Image quality is good but not great compared to my prime lenses but it's what you'd expect. I'd carry it out a 24-70mm f4 or 24-105mm f4 lens for good enough image quality.

I was playing around with my cameras during lunch today - here's a comparison between the RX100 VI and Batis 25 that I took. Not a direct comparison since I was walking around the lake and it was from two different vantage points. The Batis shot is cleaner but the RX100 VI shot is probably good enough for instagram and a noticeable step up over a phone

Carlo UK wrote:

Hi

I have the A7RII and thinking of getting the RX100 VA as a camera to carry when I don't want/need the full frame. Ie beach, holiday, street photography. Any one else doing this and how does it perform

Ta Carlo

tonyz1's gear list:tonyz1's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a9 Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +4 more
zeitlos Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: RX100 VI/VII

I also thought about buying an RX100 VA in addition to my A7iii.

I came out with the Ricoh GR III. Of course a completely different concept. But I also wanted to have a camera that comes close to the A7 even in bad light. Its APS-C sensor delivers really good results.

And restricting yourself in terms of focal length (prime) often results in a better picture. An amazing camera. Hard to believe that they managed to put an APS-C sensor with in body stabilization in such a tiny body!

sean lancaster

zeitlos wrote:

I also thought about buying an RX100 VA in addition to my A7iii.

I came out with the Ricoh GR III. Of course a completely different concept. But I also wanted to have a camera that comes close to the A7 even in bad light. Its APS-C sensor delivers really good results.

And restricting yourself in terms of focal length (prime) often results in a better picture. An amazing camera. Hard to believe that they managed to put an APS-C sensor with in body stabilization in such a tiny body!

Yeah, that's right in line with my thinking. They're practically the same size with the GRIII being a tiny bit bigger, but also weighing less.

For some people, the zoom lens on the RX100 makes it very appealing. For others, the sensor size matters:

Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
scrane
scrane Senior Member • Posts: 1,950

zeitlos wrote:

And restricting yourself in terms of focal length (prime) often results in a better picture.

Hmmm.

scrane's gear list:scrane's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +9 more

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

And restricting yourself in terms of focal length (prime) often results in a better picture.

Hmmm.

???

sean lancaster

zeitlos wrote:

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

Hmmm.

???

I get what you're saying, but it certainly doesn't apply to everyone. When I was learning photography, I made the most strides in getting better when I started attaching a single prime to my Sony NEX 5N and shot that lens every day. I started to see the world through that lens, which was an awesome feeling. I could see the captures that I was able to get and I learned to ignore the ones that I could not get with that lens (at least easily). That was back in 2011 - 2014 (the real learning years and shooting photos daily for 3 years without fail). But even today, I attach a prime and leave it on for weeks. I take a single prime on trips or I've even rented the RX1RII for a trip to China as my only lens (and camera). But this workflow certainly is not for everyone.

scrane

zeitlos wrote:

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

Hmmm.

???

I've heard this before. Seems to be a limitation of the photographer rather than the lens.

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +9 more
mikedelderfield
mikedelderfield Regular Member • Posts: 240

Hmmm not a bad call that. I rarely zoomed my rx100iv and the low light performance is quite a big step down from aps-c. I'll definitely put the GRiii into the mix.

-- hide signature --

Still looking for the artistic bone that must be somewhere in my body....
Gallery
http://r2-photography-uk.com
Insta https://www.instagram.com/r2_photography_uk

mikedelderfield's gear list:mikedelderfield's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7 III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 SSM II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

Hmmm.

???

I've heard this before. Seems to be a limitation of the photographer rather than the lens.

If you are a photographer, you must have heard if it since it’s a very basic advise by successful artists. It propels creativity. https://davidduchemin.com/2013/07/the-power-of-constraint/

There can be restrictions of various kinds. Focal length is just one of them that forces you to develop creativity. And as it’s always the case with primes, you will end up with a better perspective, since you frame the motive with your feet instead of just zooming in from a not so perfect angle.

of course it’s not everybody’s cup of tea. However, the fixed focal length promises good results.

scrane

zeitlos wrote:

And as it’s always the case with primes, you will end up with a better perspective, since you frame the motive with your feet instead of just zooming in from a not so perfect angle.

of course it’s not everybody’s cup of tea. However, the fixed focal length promises good results.

Hmmm.

NetSlob
NetSlob Regular Member • Posts: 406

zeitlos wrote:

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

Hmmm.

???

If you are a photographer, you must have heard if it since it’s a very basic advise by successful artists. It propels creativity. https://davidduchemin.com/2013/07/the-power-of-constraint/

There can be restrictions of various kinds. Focal length is just one of them that forces you to develop creativity. And as it’s always the case with primes, you will end up with a better perspective, since you frame the motive with your feet instead of just zooming in from a not so perfect angle.

I agree that using primes often stimulates creativity. As Orson Welles said, “The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.”

A prime lens forces the photographer to move and interact with the environment more than a zoom lens; those forced interactions often result in the discovery of fresh vantage points that produce more pleasing photos.

As for the RX100, when traveling overseas I use mine daily. I will probably upgrade to the VII soon, although personally I'd prefer the faster lens.

NetSlob's gear list:NetSlob's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 IV Sony RX100 V Sony a7 II Sony Alpha NEX-3 +25 more
Fritzo Regular Member • Posts: 152

I have the RX100M3 to use alongside the A7M3.

Had my aps-c setup for the days I didnt want to carry the heavier FF equipment. After getting the RX100 Ive barely used the A6xxx, since image quality is so great and portability is a clear advantage even over the A6xxx. So its now up for sale. RX100 and A7 is a great combo!

Fritzo's gear list:Fritzo's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more

scrane wrote:

zeitlos wrote:

And as it’s always the case with primes, you will end up with a better perspective, since you frame the motive with your feet instead of just zooming in from a not so perfect angle.

Hmmm.

Very elaborated.

scrane

rx100 iii @ 45mm eq f8

Lucky for me I had the 16.62 mm zoom mounted because there was no room to zoom with my feet.

pcunnin Regular Member • Posts: 368

I just use my phone and shoot with RAW apps. I had an RX100 III and I didn’t notice too much of a difference than an Iphone XR, which has an excellent camera. If you shoot in RAW and edit the main difference is the RAWs from the RX100 will be better and have more info than a phone, or if you have an older phone it might be worth it.

But for me it wasn’t worth the hassle and I sold my RX100, it just couldn’t compete with my micro 4/3 which is a little bigger but provides a much much bigger jump and can swap lenses, and can *almost* fit in my pocket. I couldn’t get the RX100 to fit in my pocket, but my pants pockets are pretty tight on most of my pants for some reason.

OP Carlo UK Regular Member • Posts: 192

tonyz1 wrote:

I use the RX100 VI as my zoom lens and use Batis prime lenses. The RX100 VI fills the gaps. Image quality is good but not great compared to my prime lenses but it's what you'd expect. I'd carry it out a 24-70mm f4 or 24-105mm f4 lens for good enough image quality.

I was playing around with my cameras during lunch today - here's a comparison between the RX100 VI and Batis 25 that I took. Not a direct comparison since I was walking around the lake and it was from two different vantage points. The Batis shot is cleaner but the RX100 VI shot is probably good enough for instagram and a noticeable step up over a phone

Carlo UK wrote:

Hi

I have the A7RII and thinking of getting the RX100 VA as a camera to carry when I don't want/need the full frame. Ie beach, holiday, street photography. Any one else doing this and how does it perform

Ta Carlo

What you have a Batis lens fitted to the RX100 ?

Carlo UK's gear list:Carlo UK's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 II Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads