Lens Aberration Correction Settings M50

Started Aug 3, 2019 | Questions
lily munster
lily munster New Member • Posts: 17
Lens Aberration Correction Settings M50
1

There are three settings to enable in the M50 Camera:

  • Peripheral lllum Corr
  • Distortion Correction
  • Digital Lens Optimizer

If I shoot RAW should these be set to YES? Does this even matter if I use Lightroom for editting the raw files and have lens correction option to choose there? I am not sure if ALL 3 of these matter for just JPG or also for RAW.

For now, I have all of them set to YES, assuming they are helpful for JPG at least (when I choose to shoot JPG in addition to RAW). Any down side to having these enabled?

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Be that source of light.

 lily munster's gear list:lily munster's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Craig Smith Regular Member • Posts: 428
Re: Lens Aberration Correction Settings M50
1

Won't change RAW files, but these two will effect video:

  • Peripheral lllum Corr
  • Chromatic Aberr Corr

Only three "Digital Lens Optimizer" profiles can be loaded into the M50 at once. As I have more then three lenses I leave that feature disabled and all other corrections enabled for the rare occasion that I shoot JPG.

  • Peripheral lllum Corr - Enabled
  • Distortion Correction - Enabled
  • Digital Lens Optimizer - Disabled
  • Chromatic Aberr Corr - Enabled
  • Diffraction Correction - Enabled

I've seen or experience no downside to having them enabled. It would be nice if Canon let us load ALL the M profiles on the next M5/M6 Mk2.

 Craig Smith's gear list:Craig Smith's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS RP +4 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 3,839
Re: Lens Aberration Correction Settings M50
2

lily munster wrote:

There are three settings to enable in the M50 Camera:

  • Peripheral lllum Corr
  • Distortion Correction
  • Digital Lens Optimizer

If I shoot RAW should these be set to YES? Does this even matter if I use Lightroom for editting the raw files and have lens correction option to choose there? I am not sure if ALL 3 of these matter for just JPG or also for RAW.

For now, I have all of them set to YES, assuming they are helpful for JPG at least (when I choose to shoot JPG in addition to RAW). Any down side to having these enabled?

Thank you.

I shoot RAW, so I have all of them disabled - enabling them only serves to slow the camera down.

My workflow includes applying any corrections, ALO (if required), DLO etc in DPP, saving as a TIFF, and then editing TIFF files in LR or PS. IME, DPP does a better job of these corrections/profiles and the RAW conversion than Adobe does.

Colin

 Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
lily munster
OP lily munster New Member • Posts: 17
Re: Lens Aberration Correction Settings M50

Andy01 wrote:

I shoot RAW, so I have all of them disabled - enabling them only serves to slow the camera down.

My workflow includes applying any corrections, ALO (if required), DLO etc in DPP, saving as a TIFF, and then editing TIFF files in LR or PS. IME, DPP does a better job of these corrections/profiles and the RAW conversion than Adobe does.

Colin

Interesting--never worked with DPP, you have me curious. Maybe I will try it on my MacBook that isn't already running LR. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Be that source of light.

 lily munster's gear list:lily munster's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +2 more
OzarkAggie Senior Member • Posts: 2,153
Re: Lens Aberration Correction Settings M50

The only problem with Lens corrections is that you only get three at a time.  This falls in line with the standard Trio of zoom lenses.  Ultra wide, Standard, and Telephoto.  Coming from DSLRs that's 10-18, 18-55, 55-250.

I don't see any slow down in using Lens Corrections for the Jpegs.

DPP runs slow but it's worth learning.

 OzarkAggie's gear list:OzarkAggie's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M +11 more
Andy01 Senior Member • Posts: 3,839
Re: Lens Aberration Correction Settings M50

OzarkAggie wrote:

The only problem with Lens corrections is that you only get three at a time.

This is for in-camera only. In DPP you can load as many lens data points as you want.

Colin

 Andy01's gear list:Andy01's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +5 more
dave_bass5
dave_bass5 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,287
Re: Lens Aberration Correction Settings M50
1

Although it doesnt effect the raw file if you have distortion correction on you dont get to see where the focus point is on the image in camera (the small red square on play back)

I find this useful so i leave that setting off.

 dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads