Disappointing IQ

Started Aug 2, 2019 | User reviews
plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Disappointing IQ

I will skip the facts about plastic, the switch etc. The IQ on my copy is not very good. The edge and corner sharpness varies with the FL. Wide open, the lens is rather sharp in the center but the edges and corners are just not acceptable. Stopping down helps does not fix all the issues. At wide angles, 5.6 fixes the left edge sharpness but not the lower left corner. F8 is needed for that fix. In the tele range, the problem switches to the right side. F8 helps but the edge is still slightly soft. Now the upper right corner is very soft. f11 makes some improvement on the corner but it is still soft. A nice camera, M series, but the kit lens needs better and consistent IQ. Too many reports of copy to copy variance. Apparently, mine is in the complaint category. Probably, send to Canon as a repair and hope the replacement is better.

Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
Wideangle zoom lens • Canon EF-M
Announced: Oct 13, 2015
plantdoc's score
Average community score
M Stewart Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: Disappointing IQ

I don't understand.  It's not an SLR lens, and its shortcomings are well known amongst the Eos M community.

-- hide signature --

M. Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

M Stewart's gear list:M Stewart's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 +15 more
Craig Smith Regular Member • Posts: 445

You could have saved time writing this review by first visiting the M forums.

They would have been more then happy to tell you how bad this lens really is.

Craig Smith's gear list:Craig Smith's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS RP +4 more
gium Senior Member • Posts: 1,615

Too bad, I found my copy to be performing quite well.

gium's gear list:gium's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +8 more
Rodger in Edmonton
Rodger in Edmonton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,715

plantdoc wrote:

I will skip the facts about plastic, the switch etc. The IQ on my copy is not very good. The edge and corner sharpness varies with the FL. Wide open, the lens is rather sharp in the center but the edges and corners are just not acceptable. Stopping down helps does not fix all the issues. At wide angles, 5.6 fixes the left edge sharpness but not the lower left corner. F8 is needed for that fix. In the tele range, the problem switches to the right side. F8 helps but the edge is still slightly soft. Now the upper right corner is very soft. f11 makes some improvement on the corner but it is still soft. A nice camera, M series, but the kit lens needs better and consistent IQ. Too many reports of copy to copy variance. Apparently, mine is in the complaint category. Probably, send to Canon as a repair and hope the replacement is better.

Please find the attached link allowing a review of prospective performance specs prior to purchase.

Canon 15 - 45

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1114&Camera=812&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=3&LensComp=355&CameraComp=979&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Know your Canon lens group specs - know the rank order sharpness and pin cushion / barrel distortion of each.

Center - Border - and Extreme sharpness data is available for most lenses across the focal range

It can takes little time and helps avoids surprises.

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff

-- hide signature --

Rodger
Quaecumque vera

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads