Original Sony Batteries

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
m.holmes Regular Member • Posts: 405
Original Sony Batteries

Hello,

Has anyone used this website to check the battery serial number?

https://np-fw50.furud.net/

I vaguely remember Sony used to check if your battery was counterfeit, but I think it was done manually, e.g. if you should send them the serial number via email. Does anybody remember the exact procedure?

thanks,

MH

tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092
Re: Original Sony Batteries

m.holmes wrote:

Hello,

I vaguely remember Sony used to check if your battery was counterfeit, but I think it was done manually, e.g. if you should send them the serial number via email. Does anybody remember the exact procedure?

thanks,

MH

Cool Tool to help determine battery age.   So far it works for me, except on batteries with the serial starting in Y

I hope that Y is newer than older.

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II Sony a99 II +4 more
mick787 Regular Member • Posts: 350

I contacted Sony about this topic. It took a while, but they came up with the information. It resulted in me finding out I had two fakes.

OP m.holmes Regular Member • Posts: 405

I tried with a battery starting with X and it sort-of didn't work: it marked all the serial number green (which, I guess, means that the serial number scheme is correct, so the battery is not a fake), but it didn't identify the year and state.

mick787 wrote:

I contacted Sony about this topic. It took a while, but they came up with the information. It resulted in me finding out I had two fakes.

do you remember precisely how you did it? an email to the generic customer service or is there a dedicated address?

MH

I seem to recall it was via customer services. It was a while ago. Being honest, it wasn't an easy thing to achieve, getting them to answer. It took a while and a lot of e mails. Once I found someone happy to help, and that was the hardest bit, it took the guy a couple of weeks to get the information from Sony. I had to list all the serial numbers and they told me the production date from that. The reason I did it was because I had two batteries fail and was about to complain. It turned out they were the two fakes. I have one battery which is 9 years old now and is still doing well. I tend to use them in rotation.

mick787 wrote:

I have one battery which is 9 years old now and is still doing well.

Similar thing here. I put coloured dots on batteries to identify them, and I recently noticed that one particular battery (which is relatively new, and almost granted Sony original) tends to die suddenly and very quickly when stressed, starting from not fully charged (say, charge is between 30%-50%).

By "stress" I mean drawing more power for a brief amount of time, e.g. panoramas. It also happened after 12 two-second exposures in a row.

I was curious to understand if this was related to the serial number (as a matter of fact, I do have a lot of older batteries that behave much more politely than this). However as the battery works just ok in regular activity, and it's out of warranty, I'd be inclined to think I won't get any cooperation from customer support...

zefelder Regular Member • Posts: 222

m.holmes wrote:

Hello,

thanks,

MH

Maybe I don't understand something, but if a battery is counterfeit, what prevents it from having a fake serial number of an original battery?

Good point.

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,098

The site verified my older batteries - one that came with my A-77 as Japan 12-2-2011 and the other I purchased from B&H as Japan 7-9-2012.

It didn't recognize my A-68 batteries included with cameras in 2016 and 2019.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd try the site you have mentioned.

When I got the info' from Sony about the production dates some time back, I used a fine paint pen to mark the dates on the batteries that Sony gave me onto the batteries with the respective serial numbers.

For peace of mind, the dates provided by the site match those that Sony provided, with the exception of one! I know this battery is the latest one and it came with my a99ii because it had no date painted on it. (I own 6 batteries).

The serial number starting with Y6CQF  was not recognised!

ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 1,451

Hello,

Thanks for the link very useful.  Should be a sticky or a sticky @ dyxum dunno.

So I have 4 batteries and 3 were recognized

Lxxxx  ====>  2009

Kxxxx ====> 2013

Kxxxx ====> 2014

Y7xxx ===> Unknown  but I suspect that it's the one that came with my A99m2 in 2018

ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +16 more

Y7xxx ===> Unknown but I suspect that it's the one that came with my A99m2 in 2018

I suspect the website is not really updated, we might try to contact the site owner...

Anyway, I can confirm all my newer batteries have a serial starting with Y

ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 1,451

m.holmes wrote:

Y7xxx ===> Unknown but I suspect that it's the one that came with my A99m2 in 2018

I suspect the website is not really updated, we might try to contact the site owner...

Anyway, I can confirm all my newer batteries have a serial starting with Y

So it's clearly a pattern here yep.

ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads