This month with your Nikon 1 - August 2019

Started Aug 1, 2019 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
This month with your Nikon 1 - August 2019

Welcome to another monthly thread! Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2019: July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
darkmcs Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - August 2019

in my backyard, testing the CL1 close-up filter on 30-100mm with my V3

darkmcs's gear list:darkmcs's gear list
Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Apple iPhone 11 Pro
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,602
Some garden flowers and a dog

Mostly taken on V2 / 70-300CX but one on 30-110 with extension tube. Some with forward fill flash to isolate subject against background.

Tried the tubes on the 70-300 also but very wobbly unfortunately.

richard

with sb n7 flash

( Dog )

RichDitch
RichDitch Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Today's cat photo

Still way too hot for much of anything outside, so here's our cat Molly from earlier today. I keep the V1 and 18.5 ready nearby for any such opportunity.

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,158
Local heron

-- hide signature --

"My chances of being PM are about as good as the chances of finding Elvis on Mars, or my being reincarnated as an olive."

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Cubits Regular Member • Posts: 174

With a bit of finessing i'm getting the moon sharper with the dx 70-300, but now need to play with blending exposures to pull up surrounding star details and foreground elements.

I need to get an app which shows the moon's path to get set up properly.

Cubits wrote:

With a bit of finessing i'm getting the moon sharper with the dx 70-300, but now need to play with blending exposures to pull up surrounding star details and foreground elements.

great shot and i would be very interested to see how you get on with blending to a star field etc.

I sometimes use photopils on ios to find out where the sun and moon are going wrt the local geography.

richard

PTMcH
PTMcH Regular Member • Posts: 305
Sun Star

Just got my 10mm f/2.8.  I was out working my dogs, and i decide to make a sun star photo.  For this lens only able to step down to f/11, it exceeded my expectation.

PTMcH's gear list:PTMcH's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +13 more
Adzor Regular Member • Posts: 499

Fly by

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Butterflies Buddleia

Planted Buddleia 7 years ago with the hope of attractive Butterflies and polinators. This is the first year I have noticed any in any numbers.

In the garden when sun came out ( very briefly - as usual ) and 20-30 appeared so managed to get a few shots in before they flew off.

Will try again - if the sun returns any time soon- see if I can reduce shutter and iso and use <f8 to get better DoF.  The only shots that worked to any degree were ones ( like these ) where there was enough of the butterfly in the plane of focus.

I suppose I could try getting nearer of course...

Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 984

A couple from the 2019 Pacific National Exhibition in Vancouver. This annual end-of summer tradition goes back to 1910.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
PORTRAIT
PORTRAIT Senior Member • Posts: 2,772
A sand Turtle;)...

-- hide signature --

Photography= Art & Tech.
Marco Images© All Rights Reserved.
Please do not use them without prior permission.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcofdv/
https://photos.google.com/albums

PORTRAIT's gear list:PORTRAIT's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Fujifilm XQ1 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 +6 more
rube39 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,443
Woody with the V2 CX 70-300 - August 2019

This was taken in our 'backyard' in Sooke, BC.

-- hide signature --

Rube

harry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,406

V2+FT-1+Kenko Teleplus 300 Pro 1.4X+18-70mm non-VR

Recently bought a used mint condition Kenko Teleplus 300 Pro 1.4X, trying to extend my AF-P 70-300mm at the long end.  Too bad it doesn’t autofocus with the AF-P.  Desperate a bit, I tested the 1.4X TC  with my other “old lenses” (70-300mm AF-S, 50mm F1.8D, etc.), none would AF.  The last lens I tried was the 18-70mm AF (non-VR) that came with my D50 ancient years ago.  Surprise, the AF worked!

So I mounted FT-1 on my V2, adding the 1.4X TC, then the 18-70mm, captured my favorite hummingbird in the backyard with this setup.  I think I am falling love again with the 18-70mm.

-- hide signature --

HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 +12 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,661

Cubits wrote:

It is not an easy subject to get that perfect!

Did you use a tripod and tracker?!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of 1 Olympus, 1 Ricoh, and a handful of Nikon, cameras.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Tord S Eriksson

Adzor wrote:

Fly by

Chile?!

Very nice shot with the moon behind!

-- hide signature --

Tord S Eriksson
Re: Butterflies Buddleia

rich_cx139 wrote:

Planted Buddleia 7 years ago with the hope of attractive Butterflies and polinators. This is the first year I have noticed any in any numbers.

In the garden when sun came out ( very briefly - as usual ) and 20-30 appeared so managed to get a few shots in before they flew off.

Will try again - if the sun returns any time soon- see if I can reduce shutter and iso and use <f8 to get better DoF. The only shots that worked to any degree were ones ( like these ) where there was enough of the butterfly in the plane of focus.

I suppose I could try getting nearer of course...

Admirals and Painted Ladies! Not bad!

Gave our big buddleia, that have thrived in a big pot on the balcony for a couple of years, to my sister before going on vacation, but it sure is a plant that is fantastic in attracting butterflies!

-- hide signature --

Cubits Regular Member • Posts: 174

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Cubits wrote:

No need for a tracker for the moon, that's a 1/400s exposure at base ISO. I just used a very cheap tripod, electronic shutter, and a remote trigger to kill as much vibration as possible. With such a quick exposure it's pretty easy to bash out a big set of pictures to stack for more detail.

These deep crescent moons usually look the most detailed because of the big crater shadows. Full moons are cool, but the detail is all in the surface materials which tends to require a better camera/lens to exploit.

I had to pull a bunch of CA off of this image, but that's part of why this kit tele is so cheap.

Tord S Eriksson

Cubits wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

Cubits wrote:

No need for a tracker for the moon, that's a 1/400s exposure at base ISO. I just used a very cheap tripod, electronic shutter, and a remote trigger to kill as much vibration as possible. With such a quick exposure it's pretty easy to bash out a big set of pictures to stack for more detail.

These deep crescent moons usually look the most detailed because of the big crater shadows. Full moons are cool, but the detail is all in the surface materials which tends to require a better camera/lens to exploit.

I had to pull a bunch of CA off of this image, but that's part of why this kit tele is so cheap.

I have both the AP-S 70-300 VR and the 70-300 CX, and the AP-S is my everyday lens, while the 70-300 CX is saved for more august events.

-- hide signature --

Adzor Regular Member • Posts: 499

Yes, Santiago. It was a clearer day than normal. Unfortunately the moon was too high to include mountain peaks.

Cheers,

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads