GM5 miscellaneous camera size issues

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,361
GM5 miscellaneous camera size issues

This might be a horror story for some:

Ricoh GRD-GR (pocket camera) body size creep

Russian Mirror lens 500/8.0 |(focal reduced)

Circular fish-eyes - the Meike is only true circular on an aps-c body - is also lots cheaper

Mr Big and Mr Little

Yes they all fit

Either or ....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,361
Re: GM5 - can it handle Olympus lenses?

Sure can

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 26,804
I bought mine (GM5)...

... fairly recently, in order to have the smallest possible backup camera for my system that consists mainly of Olympus bodies, mostly Olympus lenses and compact cameras from the LX series (LX3 and LX7 previously with the LX7 still in use, and now LX100).

I was VERY glad that I had thrown the little fella in my camera bag for a trip to China early this year, because I managed to break my LX100 on the second day of the trip with a nasty fall on the Chinese Wall, and then a week or so later, my EM-1 gave up with shutter fatigue (I should have seen that coming).

While waiting to be able to replace the E-M1 in Hong Kong with a "new" (barely used) second-hand copy in one of the numerous shops there, the GM-5 was the only camera I had left to do all the photography for a whole week, often in iconic places (like the DragonBone rice terraces).  It performed very very well, even without IBIS and non-stabilized lenses.

While in Hong Kong, I took the opportunity to also buy a stabilized Panasonic 100-300mm lens, in order to have a stabilized telephoto option for the GM5.  The combo looks unbalanced (and it IS also unbalanced : don't use the neckstrap...), but really operates nicely.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 33,568
Re: GM5 miscellaneous camera size issues

I am one of those who found the GM1/GM5 size too small for a system camera, plus I wanted good IBIS so ended up with Oly E-P5 as a more comfortable (for me) size to suit any size lens.

When I wanted small I went to GM5 size but in Sony-land and that one included an excellent "24-200mm" lens built in.

Thanks to camerasize.com

Nevertheless I do admire your collection of GM5 and large lenses.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more

Guy Parsons wrote:

I am one of those who found the GM1/GM5 size too small for a system camera, plus I wanted good IBIS so ended up with Oly E-P5 as a more comfortable (for me) size to suit any size lens.

When I wanted small I went to GM5 size but in Sony-land and that one included an excellent "24-200mm" lens built in.

Thanks to camerasize.com

Regards..... Guy

I do have some small lenses as well.

But in the end my point is that the GM1/5 are full systems cameras - the smallest made in the M4/3 system whilst the Sony RX100 series cameras are just well made compact cameras - such style of compact cameras are made by Panasonic as (LX) and other manufacturers.  These are the types of cameras that should be compared in my estimation.

But the GeM bodies do get regularly trotted out as possible RX100 bait.

So whilst there are some grounds for comparison - if you just want compact cameras with folding zoom lenses.  The GeM series cannot compete there - I see them as just very small cameras and not “pocketable” ones.

Try and fit a fast prime - (say) a 42.5/1.2 Nocticron type lens, the Olympus 75/1.8 and where is the RX100 then? I have never missed the lack of any stabilisation whatsoever in combining the 75/1.8 with a GM5.

But we all have our own personal needs - I actually like being able to pick and choose whether I fit a GM5 or G9 to any given lens.  This is the whole point of a system that has multiple camera body styles and sizes.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

OM mani padme hum Regular Member • Posts: 250

Totally agree. If I'm going backcountry skiing or hiking for multiple days, I'm not going to carry a large body or lens(es), and the GM5 is very useful. For stage photography in dodgy light it gets a bit overwhelmed at times, and then the OM-D and f2.8 zooms come into their own. Plus all the bits can and do work together.

The RX100 vi is also very capable - and small - but there are definite limitations, as with everything.

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,230

Tom Caldwell wrote:

if you just want compact cameras with folding zoom lenses. The GeM series cannot compete there - I see them as just very small cameras and not “pocketable” ones.

I mostly agree, though a GM with a 20 can fit in a coat pocket.  My last foray into a compact camera (Oly TG-4) didn't last long - the image quality and lack of EVF caused me to sell it not long after the purchase.  I might try a 1" sensor camera sometime, like one of the RX100 models, maybe the IV.

Try and fit a fast prime - (say) a 42.5/1.2 Nocticron type lens, the Olympus 75/1.8 and where is the RX100 then?

Yup, I've happily used my GM5 with the Nocticron.

But we all have our own personal needs - I actually like being able to pick and choose whether I fit a GM5 or G9 to any given lens. This is the whole point of a system that has multiple camera body styles and sizes.

Absolutely!  I recently took my GM5 with 20 and 42.5 f/1.7 lenses to an outdoor concert.  The rules stated no photography allowed, but of course half the audience were using their cell phones to take photos and record videos.  The GM5 with those small lenses was inconspicuous enough that I was able to get some shots.  And I didn't annoy all the people behind me with a cell phone screen up above my head shooting video.

I'm very pleased to have a wide set of options (both size and capabilities) in bodies (GM5, GX7, GX8, and G9) and lenses to choose from to suit my needs for a particular purpose.  I don't know if any other system offers such range - I confess I haven't felt the need to keep up on all other systems.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +15 more
peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 5,057
err...smallest possible?

RoelHendrickx wrote:

... fairly recently, in order to have the smallest possible backup camera for my system that consists mainly of Olympus bodies, mostly Olympus lenses and compact cameras from the LX series (LX3 and LX7 previously with the LX7 still in use, and now LX100).

I was VERY glad that I had thrown the little fella in my camera bag for a trip to China early this year, because I managed to break my LX100 on the second day of the trip with a nasty fall on the Chinese Wall, and then a week or so later, my EM-1 gave up with shutter fatigue (I should have seen that coming).

While waiting to be able to replace the E-M1 in Hong Kong with a "new" (barely used) second-hand copy in one of the numerous shops there, the GM-5 was the only camera I had left to do all the photography for a whole week, often in iconic places (like the DragonBone rice terraces). It performed very very well, even without IBIS and non-stabilized lenses.

While in Hong Kong, I took the opportunity to also buy a stabilized Panasonic 100-300mm lens, in order to have a stabilized telephoto option for the GM5. The combo looks unbalanced (and it IS also unbalanced : don't use the neckstrap...), but really operates nicely.

...that would be the GM1 Lol, sorry, just being an A$$. Should probably look into getting a GM5 as well even though I love my GM1.

In any case, shutter fatigue? Approximately what was your shutter count for your E-M1?  You generally don't hear about anyone wearing out their shutters (unless they are pros....). Just curious.

Strangely, I think I use my GM1 way more than my main camera (GX8). It's just so conveniently small for me to take everywhere...

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Ricohflex VII, Bessa R, Bessa L, Zorky 4, Fed 2, Konica Big Mini, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sigma DP2 Sony RX100 II Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 26,804
EVF & shutter count

peppermonkey wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

While waiting to be able to replace the E-M1 in Hong Kong with a "new" (barely used) second-hand copy in one of the numerous shops there, the GM-5 was the only camera I had left to do all the photography for a whole week, often in iconic places (like the DragonBone rice terraces). It performed very very well, even without IBIS and non-stabilized lenses.

While in Hong Kong, I took the opportunity to also buy a stabilized Panasonic 100-300mm lens, in order to have a stabilized telephoto option for the GM5. The combo looks unbalanced (and it IS also unbalanced : don't use the neckstrap...), but really operates nicely.

...that would be the GM1 Lol, sorry, just being an A$$. Should probably look into getting a GM5 as well even though I love my GM1.

Yes, true, I should have said : smallest possible with a viewfinder (which is a necessity for me - LCD alone does not cut it).

In any case, shutter fatigue? Approximately what was your shutter count for your E-M1? You generally don't hear about anyone wearing out their shutters (unless they are pros....). Just curious.

I am semi-pro (check out my website - books are under JOBS).

I make easily a few thousand images in any given month (and more when I am on assignment or travelling).

Your curiosity made ME curious.

My back-upped RAW files for 2018 are between 19.000 and 20.000 for private stuff and between 12.000 and 13.000 for jobs (those are the ones I keep, already having deleted the really bad duds).

I don't have the broken E-M1 anymore (I am using two replacements now; one that I already owned since 2017 and the "new" one from Hong Kong), but my shutter count on that broken down camera must easily have been 100.000 clicks.

Moreover, I really abuse my cameras (they are tools, not jewelry).  So I suppose that may also lead to slightly faster wear and tear (also for internal components that get bumped around a lot).

Suffice it to say that I am not terribly surprised when at a certain point a shutter or aperture mechanism on a lens or any such component just gives up.

Strangely, I think I use my GM1 way more than my main camera (GX8). It's just so conveniently small for me to take everywhere...

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

hifi
hifi Senior Member • Posts: 2,567

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Yes they all fit

Either or ....

An army of GM5's, very cool!

hifi's gear list:hifi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
dwkyre Regular Member • Posts: 188

I always wonder if I use my cameras very differently than others; I never found my GM cameras unwieldy even with rather large lenses. That being said, I bought the thing originally to have a small travel/backpacking/cycling camera, and for that the kit lens and the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 have seen the most use. I recently traveled with the GM5 and Lumix 12-60. I am not in love with that lens (as far as kit lenses go, the 12-32 is better in my opinion), but it is a really nice combo with a small body to give a wide range of focal lengths and good stabilization.

dwkyre's gear list:dwkyre's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +3 more
Smallpox
Smallpox Regular Member • Posts: 420

Guy Parsons wrote:

Thanks to camerasize.com

Regards..... Guy

Agree. The GM5 does not make any sense vs the RX100 whith superior IQ...

-- hide signature --

Only drummers can travel in time

Smallpox's gear list:Smallpox's gear list
Fujifilm X-A5
addlightness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,142

In case no one has mentioned this before: you DO torture your GM5's.

My GM1 has an easier life - no lens bigger than my 9-18.  Its common companion is the 15/1.7 where the aperture ring comes in handy (the wheel is a real pain in 'A' mode)

addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +10 more
JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 6,119

That first picture throws a wrench into this discussion thread

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +5 more
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,818
Looking.....

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Mr Big and Mr Little

Is that a Cannon M39 mount 50mm f/1.4?

I have been looking for one of those for years.

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +9 more
n3eg
n3eg Senior Member • Posts: 2,959

GM1 with a small lens?  Sure.  Does a 12-32 even need OIS?

GM1 with my 650-1300 Vivitar?  I don't think so.  Maybe something to do with small microearthquakes in a seismic zone, trucks and trains nearby, or a breeze over 3 km/h.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro 14n Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Olympus E-M5 III +70 more

addlightness wrote:

In case no one has mentioned this before: you DO torture your GM5's.

My GM1 has an easier life - no lens bigger than my 9-18. Its common companion is the 15/1.7 where the aperture ring comes in handy (the wheel is a real pain in 'A' mode)

We tend to use our cameras in a slightly different manner when we also have a quite useful evf built in

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Re: Looking.....

tedolf wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Mr Big and Mr Little

Is that a Cannon M39 mount 50mm f/1.4?

No but it is the Canon S M39 mount 50mm f1.2 - which is physically a bit larger than the f1.4 - but the f1.4 is a pretty good lens in its own right.

The other lens is a Sigma 50-100/1.8 in EF mount adapted to M4/3.  If I was feeling particularly stupid I could mount this on the GM5 camera body.

This really makes my point - people tend to think solely in terms of exchanging lenses - but a good system allows users to exchange camera bodies if it suits the situation better.

For example the GM5 + Canon 501.2 makes a pleasant compact camera to carry around and of course it will fit on the G9 as well - but on the G9 the combination is already a quite large camera - but nobody would consider that as being stupid ....

I have been looking for one of those for years.

TEdolph

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads