Is there a way to "highlight" Ursa major?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
knutte Regular Member • Posts: 231
Is there a way to "highlight" Ursa major?

Ursa Major is the most recognizable and easily seen constellation yet when I photograph it it disappears among all the other stars. Is there a way to make it stand out little bit more? Settingwise or PP? Or is this one of those "it is what it is"? I'm currently only using LR and this image was a one-shot taken with a tracker.

PS. What could be the bright star in upper left? Looked at my starchart but couldn't figure it out.

-- hide signature --

If you're a fan of oversaturated images you should skip my flickr collection: https://www.flickr.com/photos/164425702@N02/

OllieN Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Is there a way to "highlight" Ursa major?

A couple of ideas for making constellations stand out:

When shooting, use a fog or double fog filter which seems to bloat the brighter stars and shrink the dimmer ones.

In PP in Photoshop follow Rudy's tutorial (look through this forum) for star reduction and adjust any selection to not include the Ursa Major stars.

Doesn't help with just lightroom though I'm afraid

PS star looks like Arcturus I think

OllieN's gear list:OllieN's gear list
Nikon D5500 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +1 more
tozo New Member • Posts: 12

I have also used the double fog filter. Works great. Usually do 2 exposures. Filter for sky and no filter for land.

Lyle Aldridge Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

knutte wrote:

PS. What could be the bright star in upper left? Looked at my starchart but couldn't figure it out.

Definitely Arcturus. Beginners are taught to find and identify Arcturus by following the "arc" of the Big Dipper handle. It's a 1st magnitude star, much brighter than the Dipper stars, and made to look even brighter in this image because a lens aberration has smeared it considerably.

Astrozoid
Astrozoid Contributing Member • Posts: 642

knutte wrote:

Ursa Major is the most recognizable and easily seen constellation yet when I photograph it it disappears among all the other stars. Is there a way to make it stand out little bit more? Settingwise or PP? Or is this one of those "it is what it is"? I'm currently only using LR and this image was a one-shot taken with a tracker.

I use a combination of star reduction and creation of halos around bright stars to make them more visible.

You can before and after in the second image comparison here:

http://www.astropix.com/Gamma_Persei.html

Jerry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads